Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic


Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.


If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.


Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.



Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Picking fields from lookup tables

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Picking fields from lookup tables

    Picking fields from a lookup table does not allways work. It allways picks the first field but if you are trying to pick more than one field (based on field rules) you must click the mouse numerous times before the remaining fields are picked. this feature worked fine in version 8. Did anyone encounter this problem or am I doing something wrong?
    Thanks for the help.
    David Hoshia

  • #2
    Re: Picking fields from lookup tables

    Originally posted by davidhoshia View Post
    Picking fields from a lookup table does not allways work. It allways picks the first field but if you are trying to pick more than one field (based on field rules) you must click the mouse numerous times before the remaining fields are picked. this feature worked fine in version 8. Did anyone encounter this problem or am I doing something wrong?
    Thanks for the help.
    David Hoshia

    don't understand what you are saying.

    please post an example application that demonstrates the problem.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Picking fields from lookup tables

      Originally posted by Selwyn Rabins View Post
      don't understand what you are saying.

      please post an example application that demonstrates the problem.
      I have 3 tables: PARENT, CHILD and PRICE. PARENT and CHILD are a set linked via one-to-many. Both PRICE and CHILD have the following fields:
      Cat_No, Description and Price. When Cat_No in CHILD table has focus, field rules provide PRICE as the drop down lookup table. When first desired Cat_No is selected all 3 fields Cat_No, Description and Price in CHILD table are filled properly. However, when I go to the next record and again I select the desired Cat_No only Cat_No field is filled leaving Description and Price empty inspite of the field rules. Ver. 8 worked properly.
      I hope I was able to explain the problem better.
      Thanks for your help>
      David Hoshia

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Picking fields from lookup tables

        Originally posted by davidhoshia View Post
        I have 3 tables: PARENT, CHILD and PRICE. PARENT and CHILD are a set linked via one-to-many. Both PRICE and CHILD have the following fields:
        Cat_No, Description and Price. When Cat_No in CHILD table has focus, field rules provide PRICE as the drop down lookup table. When first desired Cat_No is selected all 3 fields Cat_No, Description and Price in CHILD table are filled properly. However, when I go to the next record and again I select the desired Cat_No only Cat_No field is filled leaving Description and Price empty inspite of the field rules. Ver. 8 worked properly.
        I hope I was able to explain the problem better.
        Thanks for your help>
        David Hoshia
        it would be much more helpful if you actually posted an example that allowed us to duplicate the problem on our machines. otherwise we have to try to reconstruct the example from scratch.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Picking fields from lookup tables

          Originally posted by Selwyn Rabins View Post
          it would be much more helpful if you actually posted an example that allowed us to duplicate the problem on our machines. otherwise we have to try to reconstruct the example from scratch.
          I've attached the "test database" as an example.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Picking fields from lookup tables

            David, I can confirm the problem, and have submitted a bug report. If you manually commit each new row before beginning the next the table lookup field rule will properly auto-fill the fields (columns) you need. -- tom

            PS - David you've made it difficult for folks to help you because you put your tables and sets in one folder, and your database in another folder (different). This prevents easy portability. If you plan to copy or move your database to any other machine you'll find it difficult, too.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Picking fields from lookup tables

              Originally posted by Tom Cone Jr View Post
              David, I can confirm the problem, and have submitted a bug report. If you manually commit each new row before beginning the next the table lookup field rule will properly auto-fill the fields (columns) you need. -- tom

              PS - David you've made it difficult for folks to help you because you put your tables and sets in one folder, and your database in another folder (different). This prevents easy portability. If you plan to copy or move your database to any other machine you'll find it difficult, too.
              thanks. this is fixed. we will release a new patch next week with the fix.

              Comment

              Working...
              X