Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Field Rule Post Does Not Work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Field Rule Post Does Not Work

Alan,
    If you are not manually keying in a value, but setting it with Alpha it is using xbasic whether it is derived from Action Scripting or written directly...unless I am completely off mark in my understanding!! :) If right then using "Set Field Values" or "Setting Object Properties" uses xbasic.

Regardless, I hope what Tom produced is an answer for you.
    Mike

Comment

Geoff,

You are correct, after I downloaded the file, it opened via association with the runtime.

Thanks!

Comment

The Field rules don't fire unless the Qoh (quantiity on Hand) or Price field's OnChange event fires and then saved---which does not happen when setting values with xbasic as is being done
        Right. My modified script assigns values to the text property of the two form objects and then saves the record using the form's save record method. The effect mimics the user entering the field values by hand and pressing F9.

As mentioned this is not the most direct way to handle this, but it is a way that will work.

-- tom

Comment

Alan

I do not understand. Are you saying that button1 doesn't contain x basic. I had a look and there is an action script which is xbasic, albeit generated for you.
          Last edited by gmeredith17; 09-05-2008, 11:15 AM. Reason: must get quicker at typing

Comment

Mike,

There are 3 posting in the field rules. 2 of the 3 work using the button. the 1 that does not post, is for a calculated field. it would seem to me, if the xbasic connection is true, none of the posts should occur. agree or disagree?

Alan

Comment

Tom,

your approach is the same principle as

sys_send_keys("{F3}")
              topparent:Qoh.activate()
              sys_send_keys("2")
              sys_send_keys("{tab}")
              sys_send_keys("2.55")
              sys_send_keys("{F9}")

which also works.

Comment

Alan, most field rules are designed to work through the GUI. i.e. when/while the user is entering or editing records through a form. Changes made to the same records using scripts that directly manipulate the underlying table will not, generally, trigger the field rules. Exceptions exist for engine level field rules, as detailed in the helps.

My modified script uses no inline xbasic. It's all action scripting.

Comment

Geoff,
                  see reply to Mike.

why does 2 of the 3 posts work?

I would think this should work for all 3 if it works for 2. i think of "xbasic" as either lines of code or using the xbasic change record from action scripting.

Alan

Comment

My modified script uses no inline xbasic. It's all action scripting.
                    And it is directly emulating what someone would do when keying in manually which apparently will fire the OnChange event and the resulting field rules--
                    Mike

Comment

Tom,

your approach is the same principle as

sys_send_keys("{F3}")
                      topparent:Qoh.activate()
                      sys_send_keys("2")
                      sys_send_keys("{tab}")
                      sys_send_keys("2.55")
                      sys_send_keys("{F9}")

which also works.
                      Right (except you haven't disable further edits in your form).

You're welcome. Glad you got it going.

-- tom

Comment

i still do not understand why 2 of the 3 posts work. qoh and price post using my original script. value does not.

Comment

i still do not understand why 2 of the 3 posts work. qoh and price post using my original script. value does not.
                          Me either. I'm guessing it's either a timing issue or the assignment of values to the "value" property of field objects does not trigger the OnChange event for that object. i.e. when a number is assigned to the "value" property of the field object, the form updates the display in the field object itself, but maybe this isn't triggering the Onchange event for that same object. You could test this by tracing events after the button is pushed. If this doesn't explain it I suggest you submit a formal bug report, with detailed instructions the specific sequence they need to follow to see the problem, using the sample database you supplied here.

In any case, you now have an approach that ought to work for you even if you don't have your question answered.

Comment

I have already sent a bug report. Do you not agree that 2 of the 3 work? Do you not agree that, logically speaking, that if 2 work all 3 should? Just a personal logic check to make sure that I am not thinking outside the realms of logic.

Thanks again!

Comment

Alan, I don't know if this is an error or is working as designed.

When I trace events using your original test sample, the OnChange event for the field objects are not triggered. This is happening because you chose to set the "value" properties of the QOH and Price objects. If you chose to set the "text" properties of the same objects, then the OnChange event for both objects is triggered. In a sense then your choice of how to assign values to the QOH and Price fields is what is causing the problem. If you write your script to emulate the entry of text from the keyboard instead of writing to the record buffer itself, the post field rule seems to work just fine. As we've looked at this more closely this morning I'm coming to believe that this is working as designed, and that it seemed like a bug to you (and to me) when we failed to appreciate the differences in assigning values to the "text" property of the field objects vs. assigning the values to the 'value' property of the field objects.

-- tom

Comment

If that were true, not arguing, it seems to me that the other 2 would not work either.

Comment

Working...
                                X