Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Updating A Record

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Updating A Record

I have a salesman file with a few fields.

I have a form that uses the index build on salesman code.

When I run the form, I am placed on the first salesman code record (using the index on Salesman code).

I created a button on the form for use to update the record. It uses the Action Scripting "Change Record" action.

When I push that button, I am able to update the record. But if I tab through all the fields on the form, after I tab out of the last field, I am taken to the next existing record (in salesman code index order) and I am still in update mode on it.

Is this expected behavior or have I just mucked things up by too much fiddling around in one day?

What I want to happen, is when I am displaying a saleman & I push the update button, I want to stay on that salesman record until I push the Cancel button or the Save Button (two other buttons I have created on the form).

Thanks for your help.

Scott

Re: Updating A Record

My form for order tracking does the same thing if I tab past it. I just decided to go ahead and hit my "save button" once I have updated the last field. So I suppose it would be "expected behavior". I dont know how good you are with xdialog but if your like me its kind of a non-option. But you may be able to find someone to cook up a script that forces your form to stay on the current record. If not, you should be able to use AS to auto-save when you move to a different record, although if your not paying attention that my have some undesired results from auto-saving.
    Joel Domen
    Material Resources and Planning Manager
    NAFCO Industries

Comment

Check the help index for "Modal and Modeless Data Entry". That should help you decide how to proceed.
      There can be only one.

Comment

Scott, two ideas occur to me.

1) the classic solution was to put another field object on your form, base it on a layout variable that means nothing. Include it last in tab order on the form. In the OnArrive event for that "last" object put a short script to shift focus (activate another object) to the object that's first in tab order. When the form is run as soon as the "last" object receives focus it shifts focus back to the first object and does not move on to the next record. Once it's working ok, change the properties to make the object transparent so the user can't see it.

2) Another solution would be to use your "Change Record" button script to disable (restrict) navigation in the form. Remember to enable navigation with both the Save and the Cancel buttons.

Let us know how it turns out.

Comment

Originally posted by Joel Domen View Post
          My form for order tracking does the same thing if I tab past it. I just decided to go ahead and hit my "save button" once I have updated the last field. So I suppose it would be "expected behavior". I dont know how good you are with xdialog but if your like me its kind of a non-option. But you may be able to find someone to cook up a script that forces your form to stay on the current record. If not, you should be able to use AS to auto-save when you move to a different record, although if your not paying attention that my have some undesired results from auto-saving.

Comment

Joel,

That sure does not seem to make sense to me. Why would you want tabbing through the fields on the current record to automatically take you to the next record? I'm having a real hard time accepting this as correct behavior. If I have to work around something that should be so simple, I'm confused.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Regards,

Scott

Comment

Stan.

I am in "modal" mode, so when I initially navigate to the record, I am NOT in update mode.

I have to push the update button to change any of the values.

Thanks for your assistance.

Regards,

Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Cone Jr View Post
                Scott, two ideas occur to me.

1) the classic solution was to put another field object on your form, base it on a layout variable that means nothing. Include it last in tab order on the form. In the OnArrive event for that "last" object put a short script to shift focus (activate another object) to the object that's first in tab order. When the form is run as soon as the "last" object receives focus it shifts focus back to the first object and does not move on to the next record. Once it's working ok, change the properties to make the object transparent so the user can't see it.

2) Another solution would be to use your "Change Record" button script to disable (restrict) navigation in the form. Remember to enable navigation with both the Save and the Cancel buttons.

Let us know how it turns out.

Comment

Tom,

Thanks for both of those ideas. I understand them, and I can see how both of them would accomplish what I desire.

Being new to Alpha Five, I often don't know yet what to expect as the default behavior, so I am often suprised, but I must say that I am stunned to see this as the default behavior that must then be worked around.

It seems that if I navigate to the salesman record for Adam Smith, and begin to update it, there is no reason for Alpha Five to automatically take me to the next record (for Joe Turner) just because I've tabbed through all the fields on the current form.

Thanks for your assistance.

Regards,

Scott

Comment

Actually, for many apps beginning a new record, or navigating to the next record automatically is quite helpful. I recommend you spend a lot of time, perhaps an entire afternoon. Using all the features of the "default" form for your table or set. This will help you get accustomed to Alpha's default behavior and will be valuable to you when you begin to create custom forms for yourself. Understanding the default behavior of forms, and the default behavior of embedded browses, is key. In your explorations notice when edits are saved automatically. This, too, is key.

Comment

Tom,

That's exactly what I'm doing right now....learning. I learn best by doing a real example (something simple to start) so I'm working on my salesman file. Only a few fields and one form. And the basic flow is the same as for many of the "support" files I will be eventually setting up....Add a new entry, find an existing entry, update an existing entry, delete an existing entry.

I can see a real benefit of automatically going to the next record when I am adding new records to a file. I can even think of some examples where it might be useful when updating an existing record. I just think that most of the time you would NOT want that behavior when updating an existing record, so therefor I don't think it should be the default.

I do see that it is the same behavior I get if click on the Update Record icon in the took bar instead of pushing my update button object.

Again thanks for taking the time to educate me.

Regards,

Scott

Comment

is it possible to disable navigation for a button without using code?
                        Joel Domen
                        NAFCO Industries

Comment

Joel,

Understood. Almost anything you know about and are used to ceases to be a "show stopper". If people are often having to work around the default behavior, then I think they should consider changing it or allowing you to change it through some configurable option. I expect that as I move forward in learning Alpha Five I'll find more stuff I love and more stuff I don't like and decide to work around. Thus is any software package I've ever used.

Regards,

Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Joel Domen View Post
                            is it possible to disable navigation for a button without using code?
                            Probably not but the code for a button is rather easy.

Code:
                            if parentform.restrict_navigation 	
                            	parentform.restrict_navigation =.f.
                            	parentform:Button12.Text = "now you can move"
                            ELSE
                            	parentform.restrict_navigation 	= .t.
                            	parentform:Button12.Text = "Stuck here"
                            END IF
                            assumes the objectname of the button is "Button12"
                            Last edited by Stan Mathews; 11-05-2008, 04:31 PM.
                            There can be only one.

Comment

Hmm...interesting. Lemme ask yea this, is it possible to only allow navigation to different records through a "search" or "find by" button? I ask this because no one really needs to navigate to a different record on my form unless they're looking for a specific record. As of right now I have 5461 records all with customer info, job cost, job value etc...and I dont especially like the fact that some of my employees just scan through every record and look for the "biggest" jobs we've done. I catch at least one person just scrolling through on my default form at least once a day. Not to mention a lot of that information is kind of on a need to know basis, and they dont need to know.
                              Joel Domen
                              NAFCO Industries

Comment

Working...
                              X