Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

How to start alpha without login in.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to start alpha without login in.

There is a login process in place. Is there a way to launch the program from an icon with the embeded name and password in it or the login takes priority?
    Of course the name will have script attached, so specific work will be performed unattended.

Re: How to start alpha without login in.

Not sure what you are doing, but when I need an unattended operation I usually create a separate abd with the single purpose of running a scheduled script. This database is launched directly on the server, and the scheduled script can re-schedule itself so it continues to run unattended, maybe once a day.

Bill.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeData View Post
      There is a login process in place. Is there a way to launch the program from an icon with the embeded name and password in it or the login takes priority?
      Of course the name will have script attached, so specific work will be performed unattended.
      If you are using the built in login, I don't think you can get around it(?). But, you can protect the application using your own self-designed login, and then your script keyed to your launch icon could be engineered to run. It's a bit of work, though - if your not familiar w. xbasic.
      Peter
      AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
      https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

So by the response the answer is no. There is no way to add an icon with name and password to do a task.
        There no issues of securities here Pete. The issue is to have certain task performed at night unattended.
        The approach of Bill seems in that case the answer, another app linking the tables and doing the job without a login process.
        Is that what you are referring?

Comment

So by the response the answer is no. There is no way to add an icon with name and password to do a task.
          I thought I answered affirmative, no?

There no issues of securities here Pete. The issue is to have certain task performed at night unattended.
          If you have a password, then you have a security issue, no?
          Peter
          AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]

Comment

The adb that runs the scheduled task could have security or not. It does not matter. The user will launch the database "attended", so they could log in if security is enabled.

Then the scheduled script will be launched, and the database will be left running. The last point is critical, because if the database is closed, the scheduled task is cancelled.

Since the database is left running, there is no need to log in when it is time for the script to run. That is also why the database is limited to very specific functions.

Bill.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Parker View Post
              The user will launch the database "attended", so they could log in if security is enabled.
              Good point, Bill!
              Peter
              AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by Peter.Greulich View Post
                I thought I answered affirmative, no?

If you have a password, then you have a security issue, no?
                Some times are very difficult to express what we mean in such short sentences. I was just commenting.
                I am very grateful to the responses I get here in the forum. specially from fellows like you with such knowledge in the alpha world. So please do not misunderstand my response.

Security issues are there, but there are many reasons to it. I did not implied that were not. Just that were not that critical and the intent of carry an schedule work unattended was more important at this moment.

Comment

Some times are very difficult to express what we mean in such short sentences. I was just commenting.carry an schedule work unattended was more important at this moment.
                  No problem. Your questions stimulate many of us to think. ;)
                  Peter
                  AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]

Comment

Thanks!!

Comment

Hi Mike,
                      specific work will be performed unattended
                      What is this specific work that you want to have performed unattended?

There could be another way to do what you want if I know what the task is?
                      Regards
                      Keith Hubert
                      Alpha Guild Member
                      London.
                      KHDB Management Systems
                      Skype = keith.hubert

For your day-to-day Needs, you Need an Alpha Database!

Comment

The intent is to run some reports during the nigh time. Do some diagnostics of data entered during day time plus similar tasks.
                        In other programs I have created Artificial users in the program assign those users a task by menu or macros, then a shortcut in he desktop of the server with those names with password. Assign windows scheduler to run those shortcuts at specific time.
                        Very simple, very easy.
                        In alpha seems that the best way is to create additional programs link the tables and execute the programs without login, where each program will have a different startup or autoexec.
                        Unless some one can come up with a better approach., I have to create that lengthy process.

Comment

Hi Mike,
                          What is it that would take so long?? Just to experiment a bit I took a few minutes and used a current database---from a button I used a timer to activate the script, but other methods could be used am fairly certain....Windows scheduler as you mentioned and then in the autoexec of the program opened the script could be run, maybe file.watch(), script_schedule(), an add-on file watch program.....

The script loaded a different database, printed a report and then reopened the first database...don't even know if the latter is necessary in your case but wanted to try it. :)

There could be several tasks via the same script even and if placed into functions they should not "collide" as then they should process one at a time.

If more info is wanted I can help a bit--actual script is very simple (once made or seen that is!!).
                          Code:
                          dim path as c
                          path="E:\_Programming\Alpha5\Alpha How-To\choices_MikeW\Choices.adb"
                          dim path_orig as c
                          path_orig="E:\_ProdCode8\_Prod_Code8.adb"
                          a5.load(path)
                          xbasic_wait_for_idle()
                          'print_report("ck_box_size")
                          report.print("ck_box_size")
                          'preview_report("ck_box_size")
                          a5.Load(path_orig)
                          Last edited by MikeC; 12-19-2008, 11:32 PM.
                          Mike

Comment

a5.load(path)
                            xbasic_wait_for_idle()
                            report.print("ck_box_size")
                            a5.Load(path_orig)

Wow, I see new toys to experiment. I do not know to use them.
                            I am new to scripting( I only start using alpha 3 week ago), so I will check them in the manual sources.
                            I'll have to play with them. As a matter of fact, I could use them in other projects yet to develop.

Thanks that is a great alternative.

Comment

Mike,
                              That is what is also hard for some of us who answer questions is knowing or guessing the ability level of someone who asks a question. You'll notice in the small script I used I left in two commented out lines (lines with a single quote in front ' ). These are alternatives I used--one for print and one for preview. I believe there is yet one more way to print also but didn't bother using it.

Let us know if further aid is needed, but try the help search and especially the messageboard search feature as most questions have been asked at one time or another (and so search ALL of the boards--don't limit your search)....just hard to find them is all at times!

Let us know how you accomplished your goal and post back when you do also as then this thread would be another good reference for someone else later on.

Have fun!
                              Mike

Comment

Working...
                              X