Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

check for existing records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

check for existing records

when a user is adding a new record, how can i based upon the value of the first 3 fields entered, check if there is an existing record.

if so - go to that record, if not allow the user to continue adding a new record.

been on this for a few hours now and dont have the skills to code it.

Re: check for existing records

Richard,

A easy answer would be to create a index(MyIndex) based on the 3 fields and then use Exist() to check the table. I would recommend alltrim() every field in the index. Then you would use something like:

Code:
    vkey = alltrim([I]field1.value[/I])+alltrim([I]field2.value[/I])alltrim([I]field3.value[/I])
    IF exist(vkey,"[I]MyTable[/I]","[COLOR="Red"]Myindex[/COLOR]") THEN
    'Get Existing record
    ELSE
    'Create new record
    END IF
    There are other methods that don't rely on indexes, but this is the simple example.

Hope this helps.

Scott

Comment

thanks scott,

this is great, what id like to do is enhance it slightly, if there is a record, go to form 'a' filtered for the record (there will only be one record which can match all 3 fields) if there is no record go to form 'b' (in add new record mode.)

i had started on some code to search some unbound fields and my plan was to then do the above, but i was unsure how i was going to present this to the user. ( i started with just 2 filters)

Code:
      dim t as p
      dim nrecs as N 
      dim i as p

if txtschsurname <> "" .AND. txtschfirstname <> "" then

t = table.current()

filter1 = "case_parent->clientsurname = " + quote(txtschsurname.text)
      filter1 = alltrim(filter1)
      filter2 = "case_parent->CLIENTFirstNAME = " + quote(txtschfirsrname.text)
      filter2 = alltrim(filter2)
      filterclient ="("+filter1 +") .and. ("+filter2 +")"

query.filter = filterclient

query.order = "" 
      i = t.query_create()

nrecs = i.records_get()
         crec=current_record()
         if nrecs = 0
           i.drop()
           ui_msg_box("No client found, proceed to add new case")
        'code to go to form to add new record
      else
        ' code to go to form for selected record
         end
      	end if
      im not even sure i was on the right track and your method seems easier. and advice on how best to achieve openeing a form filtered on the unbound text boxes?

Comment

Richard,

What you want to do is:

Do a lookup based on the same filter(key) to get the record number or unique identifier

Then open the form showing that record

Scott

Comment

Hi Richard,

Here is the script I used in the CanSave form event. It was used to check if the same job had not been entered one than once for the same customer with the same dates. As you can see it is quite old but it still works. It will only show the dialog with data if there are duplicates.

'Date Created: 21-Feb-2003 07:18:16 PM
          'Last Updated: 04-Mar-2003 01:52:56 PM
          'Created By : Peter Wayne
          'Updated By : Keith Hubert
          ''XBasic
          dim tbl as p
          tbl=table.current()
          if tbl.mode_get() 0 then
          show_recs = iif(recs < 11,recs,10) 'only show 10 duplicates
          x = ""
          crlf = chr(13)+chr(10)
          for cnt = 1 to show_recs
          x = x+alltrim(str(cnt))+". "+"Record "+alltrim(str(t.recno()))+": "+alltrim(t.idcode)+", "+dtoc(t.date1)+" - "+alltrim(t.Site_Name)+" "+dtoc(t.date2)+crlf
          t.fetch_next()
          next cnt
          end if
          t.index_primary_put(idx)
          ix.drop()
          t.close()
          if recs > 0 then
          ans= ui_msg_box("Warning! "+alltrim(str(recs))+" duplicates found",\
          x + crlf + "Allow record ?",\
          UI_ATTENTION_SYMBOL + UI_YES_NO + UI_SECOND_BUTTON_DEFAULT)
          if ans = UI_NO_SELECTED then
          cancel()
          end if
          end if
          end
          Regards
          Keith Hubert
          Alpha Guild Member
          London.
          KHDB Management Systems
          Skype = keith.hubert

For your day-to-day Needs, you Need an Alpha Database!

Comment

im working on scott's idea for now.

i have this code so far, the code runs but always open a form to accept a new record. so i have something wrong when trying to find an exisitng record. (i am testing a search on a record i know exists, so the first part of the code should run).

to be honest, i am bumbling my way through this.

Code:
            vkey = alltrim(clientfirstname.value)+alltrim(clientsurname.value)
            IF exist(vkey,"case_parent","case_parent_id") THEN
            'Get Existing record
            'Get pointer to existing window. In case layout_name is qualified with a dictionary name, extract up to first @. In case formname has spaces, normalize it
            tempP=obj(":"+object_name_normalize(word(layout_name,1,"@")))
            'Test if pointer is valid
            if is_object(tempP) then 
            	'Test if pointer refers to a form or browse
            	if tempP.class() = "form" .or. tempP.class() = "browse" then 
            				dim flagIsBaseFilter as l 
            		flagIsBaseQuery = .t.

if flagIsBaseFilter then 
            			'Apply the query to the form or browse as the Base query. (this means that 
            			'the user cannot turn the query off, only add to the query)
            			tempP.BaseQueryRun(query.filter,query.order)
            		else
            			tempP.QueryRun(query.filter,query.order)		

end if 

'then activate the already open window
            		tempP.activate()
            	else
            		'Window is not already open, so open it
            		varP_parent_case = :Form.viewqueried(layout_name,query.filter, query.order )

end if
            else 
            	varP_parent_case = :Form.viewqueried(layout_name,query.filter, query.order )

end if

ELSE
            'Create new record

'Open a Form or Browse layout, displaying all, or selected records in the layout.

DIM Shared varP_fCaseCreate2 as P
            DIM layout_name as c 
            layout_name = "fCaseCreate2"
            DIM tempP as p
            'Get pointer to existing window. In case layout_name is qualified with a dictionary name, extract up to first @. In case formname has spaces, normalize it
            tempP=obj(":"+object_Name_normalize(word(layout_name,1,"@")))
            if is_object(tempP) then 
            		'If so, then activate the already open window
            		tempP.activate()
            		tempP.new_record()
            	else
            		varP_fCaseCreate2 = :Form.view(layout_name)
            		varP_fCaseCreate2.new_record()

end if
            else 
            	varP_fCaseCreate2 = :Form.view(layout_name)
            	varP_fCaseCreate2.new_record()

end if 

END IF

Comment

Richard,

Your missing the step to find the existing record. You need something like:

Code:
              'This finds the case_parent_id of the existing record
              vfindrec = lookupc("F",vkey,"case_parent_id","case_parent","case_parent_id")
              Now that you have the record you want stored in Vfindrec you then open the form filtered to this case_parent_id(vfindrec).

I hope that makes sense.

Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Emerick View Post
                Richard,

A easy answer would be to create a index(MyIndex) based on the 3 fields and then use Exist() to check the table. I would recommend alltrim() every field in the index. ........

Scott
                I would be careful about using alltrim in an index.

Consider these values in an existing record. The field size is 10 for each
                Code:
                Field1: "abc       "
                Field2: "klm       "
                Field3: "xyz       "
                Combing these into the index using alltrim yields "abcklmxyz"

If you now enter a new record with the following
                Code:
                Field1: "abckl     "
                Field2: "          "
                Field3: "mxyz       "
                and apply alltrim for the test you will get the same key and an incorrect result that calims this record already exists.
                Tim Kiebert
                Eagle Creek Citrus
                A complex system that does not work is invariably found to have evolved from a simpler system that worked just fine.

Comment

Tim,

You make a good point, however, I have seen more failures not using alltrim() then using it .. but we all have our preferences.

Something to keep in mind though as it is good advice.

Scott

Comment

Scott,

Could you give an example of such a failure? Not that I don't believe you. Just interested in knowing.

I guess one situation might be if the field sizes were large then the key length would exceed the maximum
                    I think what it comes down to is that the index format and the search key format have to be the same. One could use alltrim and introduce a seperator that you know would not be in the data. That could even be a single space since after using alltrim() there should not be a space at the extremities of the data.
                    Tim Kiebert
                    Eagle Creek Citrus
                    A complex system that does not work is invariably found to have evolved from a simpler system that worked just fine.

Comment

this is a bit above my skill level, but im slowly getting there.

i am trying to define my index which is 2 character fields and a date field. i am using this to format the date field to a characher but am getting an error message saying not a logical xpression.

Code:
                      trim(Clientfirstname)+trim(Clientsurname)+dtoc(Clientdob,"2/")

Comment

seem to have my index right with this, alhough the date doesnt seem to accept 'dtoc()' to format it to character.

Code:
                        Clientfirstname=alltrim(case_parent->clientfirstname).AND.Clientsurname=alltrim(case_parent->clientsurname).AND.Clientdob=(case_parent->clientdob)

Comment

based upon my index below, i have entered this code on the forms 'cansave' event.

Code:
                          vkey = alltrim(clientfirstname.value)+alltrim(clientsurname.value)+dtoc(clientdob.value)
                          IF exist(vkey,"case_parent","parent_id") THEN
                          ui_msg_box("Client Search","record found please add the new case to the clients master file")
                          ELSE
                          ui_msg_box("Client Search","no record found please add a new case")
                          END IF
                          then i have put a button on the form to save the record after the 3 fields have been filled in.

i am always getting the second message, even though i know there is a dulicate record.

i have tried all sorts today, keiths code below, other code samples from the msg board, dr waynes examples but i just cant get this to work.

Comment

thanks for all your help. i have solved my problem, took a different route the result is the same. (big thanks to stan).

for those who might need the same.

i made a form with 2 variable fields on it. added an embedded browse based upon my table 'case_parent' to display the results of the search. hid the browse initially.

then i added this code to a button, which searches for existing records which meet the 2 variable fields (will add a third to make the search for duplicate more robust).

if there is a record which meets the search, the browse and another button become visible.

if not the user is taken to a form to add the new record.

i take the values of the 2 variable fields and enter those in to the new record for the user.

i know this isnt the way it should be done and if anyone see's any major flaws, id be happy to hear, but its working.

Code:
                            'Date Created: 11-Jan-2009 08:55:27 PM
                            'Last Updated: 11-Jan-2009 08:55:27 PM
                            'Created By  : R Harris
                            'Updated By  : R Harris
                            dim tbl as P
                            dim qry as P
                            dim nrecs as N

tbl = table.current()

filter1 = "case_parent->clientsurname = " + quote(txtschsurname.text)
                            filter1 = alltrim(filter1)
                            filter2 = "case_parent->CLIENTFirstNAME = " + quote(txtschfirsname.text)
                            filter2 = alltrim(filter2)
                            filterclient ="("+filter1 +") .and. ("+filter2 +")"

query.description = "case_parent"
                            query.order = "clientsurname"
                            query.filter = filterclient
                            query.options = ""

qry = tbl.query_create()

nrecs = qry.records_get()

IF (nrecs = 0) then
                                qry.drop()
                                query.order = ""
                                query.filter = ""

ui_msg_box("No Records","No records exist for this client You can now add a new client file." ,UI_INFORMATION_SYMBOL)

'Open a Form or Browse layout, displaying all, or selected records in the layout.

DIM Shared varP_fcreateparent as P
                            DIM layout_name as c 
                            layout_name = "fcreateparent"
                            DIM tempP as p
                            tempP=obj(":"+object_Name_normalize(word(layout_name,1,"@")))
                            if is_object(tempP) then 
                            		'If so, then activate the already open window
                            		tempP.activate()
                            		tempP.new_record()
                            	else
                            		varP_fcreateparent = :Form.view(layout_name)
                            		varP_fcreateparent.new_record()

end if
                            else 
                            	varP_fcreateparent = :Form.view(layout_name)
                            	varP_fcreateparent.new_record()

end if 

else
                            	cancel()

ui_msg_box("Client Exists","This client already exists in Mortgage Manager, please add a new case file to the client file." ,UI_INFORMATION_SYMBOL)
                                	'show browse and cmd button if records exist
                            topparent:B_contact.show()
                            topparent:Cmd_viewparent.show()

END

end if
                            hope this helps someone else as ive been at it for hours.

Comment

No thread with this "topic" should ever end without someone mentioning the importance of the KEY_UNIQUE() function. In this case Richard it may offer a much simpler solution for you.

Comment

Working...
                              X