Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Importing unformatted text into A5.. Is it possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Importing unformatted text into A5.. Is it possible?

I'm not asking how at the moment just if it is possible...

I have a piece of equipment that performs tests for me. It saves the tests in a proprietry format.

If I open the proprietry Reports in an application such as Wordpad or I guess MS Word then, I seem to get most of the bare bones meat of the report (without the pretty formatting), but it's spread all over the page.

What I'm wondering is if using things like Trim etc I'm likely to be able get rid of all the white space and then import the data to a table.

Wonder if A5 will introduce an Attachment data type with next version?

Thanks]
    Mike

Re: Importing unformatted text into A5.. Is it possible?

Mike,
    My first thought is if there is no formatting whatsoever, then all of the data would end up going into one field and possibly just one record. There has to be some consistency in order to set some type of delimiter; comma, space, tab, quotes, lf, cr-lf, whathaveyou.

Regarding white space, I remember a script or UDF here on the messageboard in the last year that did just this--cancelled all spaces except for one between words--think I even gave a regex for it as an alternative.
    Mike

Comment

Mike_D - if the text contains only ASCII text, and if the report format is fixed, then yes, Alpha has the tools necessary to open the report file, read each line, parse that line, then read the next... continuing until all lines have been processed.

Comment

Thanks Mike and Tom

I have not tried opening one of the files since before Xmas but I'll give it another go...though pretty sure that once you open in an .rtf format there is no formatting what so ever ...no comma or tab delimiting just all the info scattered what appears to be randomly throughout a lot of white space.

Thanks
        Mike

Comment

RTF text is not "unformatted text". Nothing that I said before applies when working with RTF text. I was speaking of unformatted ASCII text. A very different thing than rtf files. It's the difference between Notepad text, and a WordPad RTF file. Examine both with a hex editor to see the differences.

Comment

I have never imported .rtf files myself. But as a guess my first thought would be to read in the .rtf file line by line then use *RTF_TO_PLAIN() to strip the special formatting characters and output to a text file. Then examine the text file and see if you now have text that can be more easily extracted. It may require a little more massaging to get there but this should get you closer.

Comment

Originally posted by ZaphodBBB View Post
              Wonder if A5 will introduce an Attachment data type with next version?
              MIke

I just read this article about the Attachment data type. It looks to me that you link from the access report to the program that opens the appropriate file and displays.

Is there something else that I should be looking at to understand more about this access feature?

Otherwise, with a5v9 you could create a link in a report and call sys_open() and do the same thing..

I'm seeing that as a different issue than reading data that is in another format.... which I don't see an attachment data type doing.

tks
              Al Buchholz
              Bookwood Systems, LTD
              Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
              Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
              Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
              When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
              "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
              Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

It saves the tests in a proprietry format.
                What format?

Comment

I'll try opening the proprietry report from teh test unit into say Notepad and see what happens and report back.

I have not used the Attachment type just read about it while reading a review of the Access 2007.

Hi Al being new I know next to zip about Alpha but I'll have to have a read about the sys_open() feature you mention. Though it would be nice to be able to import.

Thanks again and reprot back shortly.

Mike

Comment

Just tried opening the report in Notepad and I see a lot more info than previously...looks like some kind of XML with formatting.

Including a sample report zipped up if anyone has time to have a look at it.

Cheers
                    Mike

Comment

Just tried opening the report in Notepad and I see a lot more info than previously...looks like some kind of XML with formatting.

Including a sample report zipped up if anyone has time to have a look at it.

Cheers
                      Mike

Try this..
                      Al Buchholz
                      Bookwood Systems, LTD
                      Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
                      Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
                      Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
                      When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
                      "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
                      Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

Originally posted by Al Buchholz View Post
                        Sure am glad they don't put this stuff in the Help file anymore.

Comment

Thanks for the pointer to the tutorial on parsing XML using XBasic Al.
                          It is good to know it can be done. Now I just need to begin getting familiar with A5 then one of these fine days I'll give it a shot. Still the fact that it can be done means I'll stick with trying to use Alpha instead of putting it off till one of these days.

Again many thanks for all your help.

Mike

Comment

Ok, I thought I try a few quick things... copied your file and gave it XML extension. Then opened it in Explorer and UltraEdit and it looked just like it does in notepad. Then I thought I'd try Excel and it yielded better results.

In Excel 2003, open a blank sheet and on the menu click
                            DATA>>XML>> IMPORT and select your file in the open file dialog.

It creates a data table but since I don't know what I'm looking at I can not tell if its of any value or not.
                            Dave

Comment

Hi Dave

Thanks for the tip, I am not a user of Excel so never even thought to try it. I'll give it a go tomorrow and see what it looks like.

Cheers
                              Mike

Comment

Working...
                              X