Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

QuickBooks Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

QuickBooks Advice

I created an A5 application for a customer 8 years ago. The application has the following main functions: 1) OrderEntry, 2) Payments / Invoices, 3) Payrole (fairly complicated with compensation dependent on monthly sales, who partnered in sale etc), 4) business reports

The customer has asked me to find a way to work with Quickbooks so most of his accounting can be carried out in QB while still maintaining the current functions in his Alpha application.

So... i read most of the info on this forum and downloaded QB Premier Trial along with the QODBC trial.

It was relatively easy to import QB tables, create forms & modify Alpha DAO Action Script to poke rows back in the QBtables. (MUCH easier to READ QB tables... nevertheless).

MY PROBLEM:

{I am anxious to maintain an almost complete ignoance of accounting while at the same time meeting my customers needs}. What I need to know is: what is the necessary 'minimum' set of data that i need to fire over to QB?? I realize that this is highly dependant on my customers needs, however it is not clear what those needs are.

Can anyone give me some guidance???

Re: QuickBooks Advice

Start here...
    Al Buchholz
    Bookwood Systems, LTD
    Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
    Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
    Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
    When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
    "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
    Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

Thanks Al... i have noticed your many posts on this forum. I am very impressed. I have viewed your presentations & i think that i understand the 'nuts & bolts' of actually getting AlphaDAO, Action Scripts, linking tables etc to do what they are supposed to do. Where i am lost is WHAT to do not HOW TO DO IT ie specifically which tables do i need to hit in QB?? which fields?? How do i manage QB data integrity if i am updating or posting records to QB but i do not know the primary key or how to populate the key fields in QB & maintaion relationships???

How do i go about defining the subset of tables that i need to hit in QB?

Comment

David,
        I am anxious to maintain an almost complete ignoance of accounting
        This would be an ideal situation, but IMHO there is not going to be much of a chance of doing that!! In fact, I think that to do what you need to do you basically have to know more about some things than an accountant needs to know! To enter data into Quickbooks tables directly, I think that you will need to know all the tables/fields affected by such an entry (and make similar corresponding entries in them)--unless somehow QB will fill in the blanks automatically for you--the SDK does treat any connection via QODBC as just another user connecting but am under the impression that this is more for control than for actual data entry.

Am hoping I'm incorrect in this as I only use passive link tables so far and have not ventured into an active link/write version yet.
        Mike

Comment

Originally posted by David Boomer View Post
          Thanks Al... i have noticed your many posts on this forum. I am very impressed. I have viewed your presentations & i think that i understand the 'nuts & bolts' of actually getting AlphaDAO, Action Scripts, linking tables etc to do what they are supposed to do. Where i am lost is WHAT to do not HOW TO DO IT ie specifically which tables do i need to hit in QB?? which fields?? How do i manage QB data integrity if i am updating or posting records to QB but i do not know the primary key or how to populate the key fields in QB & maintaion relationships???

How do i go about defining the subset of tables that i need to hit in QB?
          David

The interesting part of the Intuit SDK interface is that the SDK works with the QB data through the QB program.

You need to think of that whenever you are using the system..

So you don't need to know all of the underlying techie stuff or the internal accounting stuff......

You need to think of it like Alpha is doing keyboard entry to the program and you need to fill in the fields that are required if you were entering data into the program.

It took a while for me to wrap my head around that concept and to appreciate the beauty and simplicity of the design. It also allows Intuit to control the data that is in the their tables.

I had hoped that I had conveyed that idea in the presentations on my web site, but I do recall whenever I give a talk about this, I have to repeat the concept numerous times. Not only for the audience, but for the speaker who may fall back to the 'traditional' concept of talking directly to tables....

That also means that there are a couple of techniques that are different. Ie adding a multiple line invoice. QB doesn't allow an invoice without at least one line in it. So you can't add the invoice header and then add a line. You add the line(s) and then add the header. It is controlled by a cache flag in the line table that you turn on for the lines, then when you add the header the internals take care of all the records getting in the right place with the right linkages....

My papers reference the QODBC site for additional docs and a forum with many examples...

Hope that helps...
          Al Buchholz
          Bookwood Systems, LTD

Occam's Razor - KISS
          Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
          When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
          Albert Einstein

Comment

the internals take care of all the records getting in the right place with the right linkages....
            Now that is more than I expected obviously--with some of the limitations QB imposes it is nice that this "heavy lifting" occurs automatically!
            Mike

Comment

Mike & Al; Thanks for your help... i am getting closer to wraping my mind around this QB - Alpha problem.

I have asked the accountant to create a QB Company File for my client. When this has bee done i will have her take me through all of the screens / reports that she thinks that she will need to perform the accounting functions. I wull take screen shots of each of these & try to work my way back to the QODBC 'tables'( /views). When i have a 'mini-schema' of which QB views i need to perform INSERTS on i should have more intelligent questions to ask.

Does this sound like a good approach?? or am i still missing the ease and simplicity of the interface??

Comment

Mike & Al; Thanks for your help... i am getting closer to wraping my mind around this QB - Alpha problem.

I have asked the accountant to create a QB Company File for my client. When this has bee done i will have her take me through all of the screens / reports that she thinks that she will need to perform the accounting functions. I wull take screen shots of each of these & try to work my way back to the QODBC 'tables'( /views). When i have a 'mini-schema' of which QB views i need to perform INSERTS on i should have more intelligent questions to ask.

Does this sound like a good approach?? or am i still missing the ease and simplicity of the interface??
                So you are going to build something like this?

http://doc.qodbc.com/qodbc/20/tables...l?qbviewd_id=1

and you can find all of these when you start from the QODBC site and get the technical references.

or use this link:
                http://doc.qodbc.com/qodbc/Qodbc_20_us.html
                Al Buchholz
                Bookwood Systems, LTD

Occam's Razor - KISS
                Albert Einstein

Comment

more or less...

My problem at this point is selecting a subset of QB functionality that will allow me to perform basic accounting in QB without having to post unnecessary data to QB.

When the accountant shows me the forms & reports that are needed i should be able to work back from the forms to the tables & fields listed on the QODBC website. However i get the feeling that just poking data via the QODBC driver will not be as easy as i am hoping.... we'll see.

I need to define a small-as-possible set of SQL INSERT and SQL UPDATE statements as possible. When i have a clear picture in my mind of which data fields are needed in QB to perform a basic set of acounting tasks for my clients company, i will be able to develop the necessary A5V9 forms.

Am i on the right track??

Comment

more or less...

Am i on the right track??
                    yes
                    Al Buchholz
                    Bookwood Systems, LTD

Occam's Razor - KISS
                    Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                    X