Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Global Variable Persistance & Scope

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Global Variable Persistance & Scope

Originally posted by martinwcole View Post
    the question: if you even agree with this fellows ranting, would you say using dot globals is any more efficient for memory than just listing them individually?
    Yes I do, but that fellow must be a PhD in a college with computers from the 80's!

First: I would use the narrowest possible scope of variables.
    As to the second question, although I can't tell you for a fact, but at least in theory having your variables as dot variables would probably consume less memory. It's just the equivalent of having one table with 100 fields as opposed to 100 tables with one field each. But again, we are talking about such minute differences that in today's RAM of several gigabytes is only of theoretical significance, plus there is so much grouping you could do. The true difference is not in memory usages but rather in the fact that with dot variables you could do assignments in bulk, if it is something that you need in your code.
    You can create dot variables as a name space (top variable, which should be p) and then the dot variables, or you could use with...end with.
    Last edited by G Gabriel; 02-19-2009, 05:46 PM.

Comment

Excellent answers - thanks ever so much.

I just looked to see if global_variables() was available in v5, and it is. I have a global in a hospital app named area. And if I go to the control panel, and default browse and use alpha's built-in tools for finding records I get an error - it took me forever to figure out it was the global 'area' that was causing the problem. So when I go to the control panel I auto delete the global. With a dot I could eliminate the issue.

And the more I think about it, the better I like the idea of dot globals - for future apps. Speaking of memory, a lot of us still remember the early days when memory was a significant issue, and even after IBM came in with 512K a lot of the languages could not immediately use it and had to be rewritten.

Not sure why, but this reminds me of another tip I got from Selwyn about 3 or 4 years ago. And since I'm feeling a bit nostalgic this evening, I'll share it with you. An app I was writing for a LAN client wanted to use RTF Memo fields. I recoiled and shuddered a bit in a fear somewhat like the inate fear of snakes and such - considering their reputation. Well, Selwyn suggested saving a copy of the memo, if I was worried and if space was not an issue (now I remember why the remind!) Such a simple idea! Why didn't I think of that. Well I am pleased to tell you that after about 3.5 years on an active 11 user shadow, I have never had an issue with RTF Memos. My routine may have scared them.

The routine I came up with is that I first took all the normal steps (recommended by Dr. Wayne) with any memo - the memos are stored in their own table and when a new parent is made I also make a memo, so they are only ever edited. But I added another safety step. When the memo is created and/or edited, I save a copy of that individual memo in its own either table or text file in a subfloder (you can use either.) The idea is that if the parent memo table becomes corrupted and baloons, it will typically or maybe always be a single record that causes all the problems. And I made a restore routine for each memo table, since they have several, that will zap the parent and recreate it from the backup files. A consideration here, of course, is that if you have 10,000 records in a parent table you will have 10,000 individual backup files or text files. They currently have a little over 3000 after 3.5 years. But it has never been an issue.

Also, in defense of memos when handled properly, I vaguely recall Dr. Wayne saying he had over a million records in one table and had never had an issue. That was several years ago.
      Cole Custom Programming - Terrell, Texas
      972 524 8714
      [email protected]

Comment

Hi Martin,

Originally posted by martinwcole View Post
        a few years ago at a conference someone was giving a speech and was particularly critical of using global variables. Since I use global variables a lot (a big app of mine may have 100 or more global vaiables,) I was troubled by his comments. But since I have never run out of memory or had any issues, I continued/continue to use global variables.

the question: if you even agree with this fellows ranting, would you say using dot globals is any more efficient for memory than just listing them individually?
        I don't know if it was myself or Cal, or someone else, who said it, but many would agree that the less number of global variables, the better.

But Global variables, or for that matter, and scope of variable does not matter whether it is accessed via a pointer or not. It pretty much amounts to the same thing. A global variable named xyz can also be accessed as such;
        dim global xyz as c
        xyz="123"
        ?xyz
        = "123"
        ?global_variables().xyz
        = "123"
        gv=global_variables()
        ?gv.xyz
        = "123"
        altptr=global_variables()
        ?altptr.xyz
        = "123"
        It uses the identical memory for storage no matter how it's location is resolved. The only thing that is different is that items dimension global, shared or local go into specific pointer spaces, as opposed to explicitly referencing a pointer. If an item is referenced and not dimensioned, it searches for the name in 1st local, then shared, then global variables to resolve the name. This can cause collisions of names that are used in operations like query.filter. That's why dimensioning is so important.

The reasons for not using global variables include some of the following;

1. Alpha's built-in functions, use or generate a lot of global names, some very common, like
        body
        pointer_name
        xx
        xxx
        query_name
        These will cause problems with your code if you use the same names and happen to call functions using them. I had 1 client who ran into this by a global name of his own. If instead, you create a very unique global pointer like
        dim global MartinsGobalValues as P
        and then create and reference all of them via the pointer (or by using with/end with), you will never have an issue with name collisions.

2. When more than 1 session accesses the same variables and were not intended to, e.g. a variable named temp, you'll run into the same problem, and in fact, each session can be messing with the other session's variables. That is the reason for Shared or Local variables

Read my tips page on this that covers a lot more on this subject
        Regards,

Ira J. Perlow
        Computer Systems Design

CSDA A5 Products
        New - Free CSDA DiagInfo - v1.39, 30 Apr 2013
        CSDA Barcode Functions

CSDA Code Utility
        CSDA Screen Capture

Comment

Am I correct in my usage of pointers to eliminate problems as follows:

dim global xyz as c
          dim global gPointer as p = global_variables()
          gPointer.xyz="Text"

Then in the IW this will work:
          ?gPointer.xyz

If so, it all makes sense.
          Robert T. ~ "I enjoy manipulating data... just not my data."
          It's all about the "framework." (I suppose an "a5-induced" hard drive crash is now in order?)
          RELOADED: My current posting activity here merely represents a "Momentary Lapse Of Reason."

Comment

Originally posted by SNusa View Post
            Am I correct in my usage of pointers to eliminate problems as follows:

dim global xyz as c
            dim global gPointer as p = global_variables()
            gPointer.xyz="Text"

Then in the IW this will work:
            ?gPointer.xyz

If so, it all makes sense.
            Not exactly, but close. You have placed a global pointer in the global space pointing back to itself. This tends to mess up enumeration and similar methods of global variables causing them to hang. They enumerate the global variables, then enumerate recursively those pointers which happen to have gPointer which points to global variables ad infinitum.

dim global xyz as c
            ' This assigns global variable xyz as "Text"
            xyz="Text"

' This dimensions gPointer variable in the local variable space to point to the global space
            dim gPointer as p = global_variables()

' This gets the pointer's space property (in other words variable) xyz
            ?gPointer.xyz

If xyz was never dimensioned, then Alpha 5 searches the local, then shared, then global spaces (and maybe addin space too - I'm not sure) looking for the 1st one that matches and returns that value.
            Regards,

Ira J. Perlow
            Computer Systems Design

CSDA A5 Products
            CSDA Barcode Functions

CSDA Code Utility
            CSDA Screen Capture

Comment

So I gather the only correction to my code example is to simply drop the global assignment in the pointer's dim statment?

(I had noticed in your example, gv=global_variables() was implicitly declared, but that appears to be the only difference.
              I was trying to apply your suggestions relative to "avoiding collisions" while accessing global variables.)
              Robert T. ~ "I enjoy manipulating data... just not my data."
              It's all about the "framework." (I suppose an "a5-induced" hard drive crash is now in order?)
              RELOADED: My current posting activity here merely represents a "Momentary Lapse Of Reason."

Comment

Hi Robert,

So I gather the only correction to my code example is to simply drop the global assignment in the pointer's dim statment?
                Yes, basically to not create "an infinite type loop"

(I had noticed in your example, gv=global_variables() was implicitly declared, but that appears to be the only difference.
                If it doesn't exist, the implicitly declared variable is assigned to the local variable space, unless overridden with a WITH/END WITH with a different space. Had the variable already existed at a "higher" space, it would have found that and assigned it there. This one fact is the reason I changed my all my function code from implicitly dimensioned to explicitly dimensioned local variables back several years ago. It was finding variables outside the function, and this made it possible for external code to affect the function's operation (something that should never happen for most functions unless intended that way - functions should strive to be a "pure function").
                Regards,

Ira J. Perlow
                Computer Systems Design

CSDA A5 Products
                CSDA Barcode Functions

CSDA Code Utility
                CSDA Screen Capture

Comment

Working...
                X