Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

controlling RTF field / extending vertical lines on report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

controlling RTF field / extending vertical lines on report

I am trying to create a report to mimic a form a client is already using. The issue is trying to force vertical lines to extend the entire length of the detail section. <rant bengin>If Alpha would allow lines to extend to bottom of detail section regardless of how many records are in the detail section, this would make the report writer so much more helpful. </rant end>

Right now, all we have is a work-around. The work around is to force the detail section to fill the space necessary to force the lines to the bottom of the detail section.

So my question is, if I know that my RTF field, which is all narrative, needs 45 lines to fill the detail section, can I count the lines in the rtf field, and if it is less than 45, add blank lines to fill 45 lines? If the Narrative is over 45 lines, I could then use this method to add sufficient lines to make the total narrative multiples of 45 (90 for two full pages, 135 for three full pages, etc.)

I am not intereted in merging a pdf file, or using a background image. I want the lines to extend vertically enough to go to the bottom of the detail section.
    Thanks.
    Jay
    Jay Talbott
    Lexington, KY

Re: controlling RTF field / extending vertical lines on report

Jay,

It's actually very simple (unless I don't get what you are ranting about). Just put a frame around your entire detail section, turn off the top and bottom (if not wanted), and set it to both expand and shrink. Voila, vertical lines up both sides no mater how much the content (rtf or not) expands or shrinks. The more you learn about the report writer the more powerful it becomes!

Ray Lyons

Comment

Thanks for the quick response.
      The frame will not expand to the full height of the detail section unless there is enough data in the detail section to fill that section. If there are only three records (or three lines worth of narrative) the vertical lines of the frame will not reach from top to bottom.
      I want the lines to go from the header all the way down to the footer, regardless of the amount of data. I am afraid your suggestion will not force that to occur.
      Thanks.
      Jay
      Jay Talbott
      Lexington, KY

Comment

Jay,

Okay, I thought you were talking about a report with an RTF box and maybe some fields outside that box. No? Anyway, take a look at the attached sample app and see if one of the 3 sample reports does not fit your needs. If not, I probably can't help you.

Ray Lyons

Comment

Ray,
          Thanks for your response and sample files. What I am trying to achieve is getting the vertical lines to extend the entire length of the page between the header and footer section, even if there are not enough records in the detail section to fill the entire page.

Using your thrid report, what Iw ould need to do is with an xbasic script, count the lines ahead of time, (say there are ten lines) and knowing how many lines it would take to fill the entire detail space (say45) I would have to copy the existing text out to an extract files, automatically add 35 hard returns to the text, and then print the report from that extract file.

So if I am going to have to strong-arm this, do you know if there is a way to count the lines in a memo field or an RTF field?

Thanks.
          Jay
          Jay Talbott
          Lexington, KY

Comment

Okay, when you say "footer" you mean page footer (as may have noted there are other kinds of footers). Given that, I know of no way to do what you want. Although I doubt many people are clamoring for such a thing, perhaps you should put it on the Wish List elsewhere on this forum.

Ray

Comment

Just throwing out an idea here. May be far fetched.

Could you create an a RTF file in, say Word, with a single line in it that extends the length of the space between the header and footer on the printed page and then insert it as an Ole object in the detail section of the A5report?

Comment

Jay,

See the report in the new attachment. I am sure it is still not exactly what you want but until you talk Alpha into something perfect (see the forum's Wish List), it might do. The key is sizing the frame and the RTF just right and note the properties for both. Also note that if there is enough stuff in your RTF to slop over onto a second page, you lose the frame entirely on that second page.

If this doesn't help, I give up.

Ray Lyons

Comment

Jeez I didn't even get a laugh out of my suggestion.:)

Just trying to think outside of the box.

How's this. Create a table in Excel with the lines where you want them and then export your data to Excel and print.

Comment

Robert,

I'm not sure Jay is with us anymore. Nothing of his on the Wish List either, so maybe it is not very important.

Raymond Lyons

Comment

Actually, I have been working on resolving this, and believe that I have an answer.
                      And the answer is...
                      To duplicate a form, use a......wait for it....

form.

In my 15 years of using Alpha, I have never printed using a form. So I tried it, and it is the best way to handle it.
                      I have attached a pdf of the third page, where the narrative does not fill the page.
                      It looks pretty good.
                      Thanks for your help.
                      Jay
                      Jay Talbott
                      Lexington, KY

Comment

Interesting! I have been using Alpha longer than you and I too have never, ever printed a form! What one never, ever does, one hardly ever thinks about!

Raymond Lyons

Comment

Working...
                        X