Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Verification of Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Verification of Issue

Hi all,
    I have found an issue that before sending in as an additional bug in a sample I have been using for this purpose, I would like to make certain it is not something I simply have missed (or messed up!).

It involves having both a Browse Title button and Row buttons for the same field. As it stands currently, the only event that is honored for the _Buttonclick() function located in the browse events Events is when the object name is used such as Address1_Buttonclick(). You are supposed to be able to name the event for each button and use that but I cannot do so.

Using Form1 the two buttons are located in the Address1 field. I have given more information on the form itself.

I have NOT given instructions as to where to find or change the properties so unless familiar with browse buttons most likely you will not be able to test this---

Clicking on the Title button should present a messagebox of: "Address1 TITLE button event" and clicking on a Row button will bring up the message "Address1 ROW button event". The Row button event uses the Object name which works. The Title button uses the event name created in its properties and does Not work--brings up the Row button's message.

The two associated events Events are second and third from last in the Browse events editor.

Last edited by MikeC; 03-22-2009, 02:13 PM.
    Mike

Re: Verification of Issue

Yeh its a bug. And he is sitting in front of your keyboard. :D

There is/should only be one code/function block per column. (EDIT: Previous sentence is not completely correct. See comments to Tom in posts following) In the button setup dialog the last field is called Event Name. Here you have 'Event1' for the title button and 'plus' for the row button. Use these event names with in the function for the Address1 column to distinguish the two button actions. The event names are passed in to the function using its 'event' parameter. If you only have one button defined for a column you can get away with not specifying an event in the code because you don't need to distinguish one event from the other.

Delete the code block that you have for 'Event1' and change the code block for the Address1 column to
    Code:
    FUNCTION Address1_ButtonClick AS V ( event AS C, data AS C , row AS N )
    'DESCRIPTION: Fired when a button is clicked on a column.
    'Arguments:    event    - the name of the event that is fired
    '            data    - the data in the column cell
    '            row        - the row number in the browse
        'this.SetViewport_Row() sets the current row to the row with the button that was clicked.
        this.Set_Viewport_row(row)
        [COLOR=Red]select
            case event = "plus"
              msgbox("Address1 ROW button event")
            case event = "event1"
              msgbox("Address1 TITLE button event")
        end select[/COLOR]
    END FUNCTION
    Last edited by Tim Kiebert; 03-22-2009, 06:45 PM. Reason: Pointer to further explanation
    Tim Kiebert
    Eagle Creek Citrus
    A complex system that does not work is invariably found to have evolved from a simpler system that worked just fine.

Comment

Tim, I, too, have been struggling with the EVENTS event for embedded browses. Your post helps a bit. Is there additional documentation somewhere? How about some more examples? Where should I look? Thanks.

-- tom

Comment

Tom,

Afraid I can't point you to any specific help topics. What I learned I gleaned from the 'Whats New' stuff when v8 came out(or was it v7), the odd example I came across, and trial and error.

Happy to help (if I can) on any specific questions.

In general, the functions seem to follow the hierarchy found in the naming convention. The top is the column name. Then the event type (ie buttonclick or column event. I think the only one so far is OnChange.) Then for button clicks you use the event name as described to Mike to further distinguish the actions.

So my comment to Mike re only one function per column is not correct. It should be only one buttonclick function per column in his particular case and in general one event type per column.
        Tim Kiebert
        Eagle Creek Citrus
        A complex system that does not work is invariably found to have evolved from a simpler system that worked just fine.

Comment

thanks, Tim.

Comment

Tim,
            Thank you (again!!). I can get a simple Title button now to work with row buttons (even conditional ones).....but I have a more complex Title button that changes its text from Expand to Contract dependent upon conditions...which is present also in the sample I gave. I cannot yet make that work in conjunction with the row buttons so something else is amiss.
            Mike

Comment

Got it to work but only by completely eliminating the prior button. It seems that there is some code remnants that cannot be gotten rid of...in fact I had to use the default "Event1" for the prior button that I had completely eliminated (and database compact) in order to get it working.

If I can get a reproducible scenario I will repost again for verification....but is nice that I can get it working nonetheless!!

Thanks again Tim--you sure saved me a bit of time on this one.
              Mike

Comment

Tim, I wonder if you could extend Mike's example to illustrate how to trap the OnChange event for the Address column in his browse? Thanks. -- tom

Comment

Hi Tom,
                  The OnChange is fairly straightforward in that using what is given in the What's new for version 8 works---I cannot get the CanSave event to work however which is the third function available.

Code:
                  FUNCTION Address1_OnChange AS V ()

gvRec=recno()
                  msgbox("OnChange record number is "+gvRec)

END FUNCTION
                  So like the _Buttonclick() function, you just add the field's object name in front of the prefix.
                  Mike

Comment

Mike, thanks. I was hoping for a specific example because of uncertainty concerning the parameter list that must (?) be passed to the function. I also thought it might be helpful to have the onChange, and both types of buttonclick functions illustrated in a single browse. Might be very useful addition to the code archive.

Comment

As far as I know there are no arguments for the OnChange function. My sample would not be the best way to show an example really as it has what are currently issues/bugs that I will be submitting again once the next patch is out (one of the verified "bugs" might be fixed then).

I agree though that with the documentation being as it is, a sample in the Code Archive is a good idea....maybe once the CanSave event has been figured out as well, my sample can be cut up and used.
                      Mike

Comment

My mistake regarding the new version 8 CanSave (and also OnSave) event---this is not a column event but a browse event and is listed amongst all the other standard browse events...so nothing more to figure out I guess.

One thing I noticed though, which is a bit limiting, is that when the browse row's display properties are modified it no longer allows the data to be changed (from within the browse)---so is a display only situation.
                        Last edited by MikeC; 03-23-2009, 06:33 PM.
                        Mike

Comment

Working...
                        X