Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

V9 Progressive Lookup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

V9 Progressive Lookup

I am having trouble with getting this to work. Being totally new to this program I am on a large learning curve so I would appreciate any help. I have attached a test sample database to show what I have done so far. I am reading through all the help books, files etc that I can find but I haven't solved this one yet. If anyone knows of anyone in Australia or New Zealand that could provide mentoring/training I would appreciate their contact details please.

Re: V9 Progressive Lookup

Michael,
    I have expressed my view before that the an Xdialog box with a ListView control is a much better way to do this type of lookup.
    See attached - You can lookup by Customer Id or by Company.
    Hope this helps!
    Garry

PS I have sent you a private message regarding mentoring/tutoring.

Comment

Garry, your zip is not working for me. What am I missing? -- tom

Comment

Being new to this I realise that I could have been clearer as to what is not working for me. It is that when I click on the find customer button no dialog box appears. Also if I try to run the script by double click or by right click menu the dialog box does not appear although it is quite ok in Alpha Sports even if the form is not open. It will be something very simple but as I said this is all pretty new to me!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Cone Jr View Post
          Garry, your zip is not working for me. What am I missing? -- tom
          Tom,
          I downloaded and it works for me.
          Assuming it downloads ok for you I presume you mean my solution does not work?
          Open the Customer form and press the button to left of first field (Customer_id) then start typing in top box to do the progressive lookup, then select desired option in lower box then click OK and record changes to the one selected.
          Same for the Company progressive lookup.
          I probably should have put an explanation on the form.
          Garry

Comment

Michael, you've saved the function as a script. Should be saved as a function, and the name used when saving should match the name used in the function itself.

Progressive_find is not the same thing as ProgressiveLkUp

You also seem to forcing the function to open the Customer table, while ignoring the table and index names the functionis expecting to be passed to it in the first and second arguments the FN requires.

-- tom

Comment

Garry, I mistook the button (to left of first field) to be a label, and was pushing the Find Customer button which of course does nothing. Your buttons work fine.

Comment

Michael,
                Your script contains 3 functions and no "script" to execute, which is why it does nothing.
                The script is (or is based on) Jim Chapman's Progressive Lookup which if used as he describes will work. I suggest you look more closely the instructions he provides.
                I have used Jim's Progressive Lookup but the solution I offered presents the information in a better way (IMHO) if you have a number of fields of data you want to display.
                Garry

Comment

Tom,
                  The ListView is a really neat control - you can click the column headings and it sorts the data, which means if you are not sure of the spelling, sorting on one of the other fields can help find the record you are searching for.
                  This approach is a lot more effort to implement but I use it even when I have only one field in the Xdialog as it then gives a consistent look and feel to an application.
                  However, it seems many do not share my view.
                  Garry

Comment

Garry, I like it, and have added it to my "bag of tricks", thanks. -- tom

Comment

Tom,
                      My sample solution is a stripped down version of what I would do in an app for a client. Obviously one should also include instructions and a warning box if no record is selected as users may see only one entry and stop typing and press OK only to notice the record is not navigated to!!
                      Anyhow, glad you liked it.
                      Garry

Comment

Thanks for the response. Makes it pretty obvious I am a newbie but still the ride ahead looks interesting.

Later: Gary I have looked at your set up and it looks good. Nicely presented and works well. I have sent you a message so I will glad to hear from you.
                        Last edited by penmik; 04-21-2009, 05:28 PM.

Comment

I added this to my bag with Tom's thread that exampled it:
                          http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/al...ght=LV_Example

I just wish the dialog would navigate with the enter key, at least the buttons getting focus so the Enter key activates the OK button after a dialog choice is made. I have been playing with this ever since Tom posted his example trying to find out how to get this hugely complex code to have tab move to the buttons and get focus and have the enter key activate OK. I know that Alt-O will do it, but I would like to get Tab and Enter to do it.
                          Mike W

Comment

Working...
                          X