Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Security - Keeping Admin for the Programmer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Security - Keeping Admin for the Programmer

I would like to keep the administrator rights to myself the programmer on a certain app. Yet I would like to give the right to add and change users (not groups) and passwords to another person or themselves.

In essence I would like to create a backdoor for myself if someone locked themselves out and hosed up all of the database passwords. I would like them not to be able to change the master database passwords. It is late and not sure if this is making sense. Thanks.

Re: Security - Keeping Admin for the Programmer

Hi John,

Check out the Security Functions in the help file.

You could use A5_ADD_NEW_USER() on a form with the master password hidden as a global variable.

The only way you can create a back door is to have a secret hidden hotspot button with our own password, that is on a form that you know is only going to be used by a responsible person. You can even have a password on that.
    Regards
    Keith Hubert
    Alpha Guild Member
    London.
    KHDB Management Systems
    Skype = keith.hubert

For your day-to-day Needs, you Need an Alpha Database!

Comment

I HATE secret, hidden hotspot buttons. Why? Because they aren't really secret or hidden. Most people who have used a computer for any period of time know about them and many of those users start moving their cursor all over the screen trying to see what they can find.

If you really want it to be hidden, don't make it a hot spot. Just make it a "hidden" button. That is, just put a small button somewhere on the form and set it to No Border and Transparent. That way nobody will see the little hand as they wave their cursor over it. The only way they can "see" it is to actually click on it.

Of course, this method means that you have to know where the button is. If I don't have mine along a border, then they are either next to a letter (often in the title area) or I "triangulate" them to the side of one object and above/below another object. I never put them in the upper left corner - way to obvious.

In some cases, I even include an OnInit event that actually hides the button on runtime (and sometimes shadow) versions. This works well for customers who have a full version of A5 somewhere but most users are working from the runtime. That way the normal user has no access to the button but I (or their internal 'administrator') can get to it when necessary from the full version. Another advantage of doing this is that the need for a password is often (but not always) removed - that makes development a bit faster because you don't have to type the password.

To carry the above even further, some of my apps have a "private" button on many forms that is truly hidden on any computer except my own. (by way of an OnInit event using api_getmachinename) This button is used on forms that have no toolbar/menu bar - or have a toolbar/menu bar with no Window and/or Design button on it. The button action allows me to either jump to another form, jump to the Control Panel, jump to the Code Editor (if it's open), or even to switch directly to Design mode. And, there's no need to type a password first because the button isn't available on anyone else's computer. (These are SDI apps that don't show the A5 Window Bar but even with that I would still need a way to get to the control panel and to design mode. Besides, when I wrote this routine the Window Bar wasn't available.)

Comment

I have been giving this a bunch of thought. I anticipate installing this in their office and having one person be an admin. If they are an admin then they can change the file password and add and delete users including me. I suppose I am looking for a way to be a super admin. I want them to be able to manage the users and such but if they change the file password (Is this the same as their password?[pardon my ignorance here]) then they can lock the file from me hidden button or not.

In the apps I have done, I have turned off all alpha menus and such and I did not see a function to call the a5 security dialog.

Comment

John,

In the(secured) autoexec of an app. I buried a name and password that i use. If i supply that name and password, the app opens on the proper form. it has a hidden button to get me to the back end with all eposed.

**Note: I am not using the Alpha security system to this point. I had already developed my own and am still improving on it.

Dave
          Dave Mason
          [email protected]
          Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Originally posted by johngtatp View Post
            I would like to keep the administrator rights to myself the programmer on a certain app. Yet I would like to give the right to add and change users (not groups) and passwords to another person or themselves.

In essence I would like to create a backdoor for myself if someone locked themselves out and hosed up all of the database passwords. I would like them not to be able to change the master database passwords. It is late and not sure if this is making sense. Thanks.

2nd post:

I have been giving this a bunch of thought. I anticipate installing this in their office and having one person be an admin. If they are an admin then they can change the file password and add and delete users including me. I suppose I am looking for a way to be a super admin. I want them to be able to manage the users and such but if they change the file password (Is this the same as their password?[pardon my ignorance here]) then they can lock the file from me hidden button or not.

In the apps I have done, I have turned off all alpha menus and such and I did not see a function to call the a5 security dialog.
            I am not sure exactly what it is you want, but the using the A5 built-in security system the Master DB password is separate from user passwords. Assuming you have a way to a secure way to hide and call the Master DB password (there are various ways to do this), you could set up an "Admin" group and only let the user(s) in that group add users via a5_add_new_user(). That leaves whoever has the has the Master DB password be the "Super Admin." It is no longer in use but I have implemented something similar to this in the past so I know it can be done fairly easily. One BIG caution though: Don't lose or forget that Master DB password!

Raymond Lyons

Comment

Working...
            X