Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Smart fields behaving badly and onArrive anomolies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smart fields behaving badly and onArrive anomolies

I'm finding that Alpha is getting wrapped up in its undies with the bitmap image assigned to a Smart Field and its OnPush event does not work.

Smart fields allow you to place a bitmap image in a type-in field, and by clicking on that image launch code for the “OnPush” Event.

Is there anything similar to “Check code syntax” for a form’s objects that might explain the following behavior, or is this a case of compounding bugs?

Here’s a simple example:

My form contains four type-in fields each designated as a Smart Field:
    1. Telephone number with Google Chrome bitmap
    2. Email address with Windows bitmap
    3. Web address with Excel bitmap
    4. Other address with Word bitmap

Yes, I am aware that Alpha provides native fields for email, Alpha email, and Web address, but here I am trying to demonstrate some rather weird behavior.

For each of the above fields, I have defined a “OnPush” event, a simple message box confirming that the the bitmap was clicked on.

The problem is that the images are displayed on the wrong lines and the OnPush events don’t work.

Screen 1: Telephone number field is clicked
    No bitmap image displayed; the Google chrome image should be displayed

Screen 2: Email address field is clicked
    Windows image is displayed, but on the wrong line.
    It appears on the telephone line and should be the email address line

Screen 3: URL address field is clicked
    Excel image is displayed, but on the wrong line
    It appears on the email line and should be the URL address line

Screen 4: I have forgotten what sequence I clicked for this screenprint but note two things: the multiple bitmaps appear, and only one should appear at a time.
    The Google Chrome image appears on the last line and not on the first.

Screen 5: I click on the first line. Incredibly the icon appears on a line with a label “OnArrive Event”that is just a regular old type-in field.

The field with the “OnArrive” label has an OnArrive Event defined. Why does the message box not appear, but the bitmap image for the Telephone number does?

I have attached a zipped database and my screen shots are taken from form frmPerson. I have used Object Explorer to review my form and all of its objects appear OK.

Bob McGaffic
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Last edited by rmcgaffic; 05-27-2009, 11:23 AM.

Re: Smart fields behaving badly and onArrive anomolies

An easier way to explain the problem:

The field that has the focus has a background color of yellow. The icon is not on that line and it should be.

Note that Smart Fields are only available in version 9.

Bob McGaffic
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Last edited by rmcgaffic; 05-27-2009, 06:06 PM.

Comment

Bob,
      Confirm that there are problems. Image is associated with whatever field is in focus prior. OnPush and OnArrive do nothing.
      Mike

Comment

Mike,

You have correctly stated the problem. In additon, in the last screen print I managed to get all the wrong icons associated with all the wrong rows including one that was not even defined as a Smart Field!

Egads, what's going on here? Has Alpha V9 run amok?

Also the OnArrive event for the field with that label isn't working as shown in the last screen print.

I think I have figured out a semi-clever way of improving on the baseline Alpha functionality, but smart fields have got to work as advertised. Any suggestions to fix this or should I file another bug report post haste?

Bob McGaffic
        Pittsburgh
        Last edited by rmcgaffic; 05-27-2009, 10:04 PM.

Comment

Mike,

I submitted this as a bug. I was getting the bitmaps to appear anywhere on the form on fields that were not defined as Smart Fields. Something is definitely wrong.

Just wish Alpha would release a patch sometime soon.

Bob McGaffic
          Pittsburgh, PA

Comment

Great that you submitted the bug.

Just wish Alpha would release a patch sometime soon.
            I would sooner wait even longer and have ALL the submitted bugs worked through and fixed....especially the ones that Alpha cannot reproduce, that is, if we as users knew of the problem of Alpha not fixing a submitted bug due to their not being able to reproduce it, then we could give more or better samples to illustrate the issues. (This sort of reiterates a wishlist post or two I have read recently and in the past regarding feedback from Alpha relating to submitted bug reports.)
            Mike

Comment

Mike,

Just wanted to let you and other forum members know that I received an email from Selwyn this morning.

This bug is now fixed and will be included in the next patch/update, although he didn't say when that would be.

This kind of responsiveness should be a model for way more software companies!

Bob McGaffic
              Pittsburgh, PA

Comment

Glad I finally checked here before wasting any more time trying to figure out what was wrong on my form. 4 Lists boxes with the Smart Field defined behave exactly as you've found. I wanted to release this app to a client but not sure now.

Comment

Originally posted by rmcgaffic View Post
                  Mike,

Just wanted to let you and other forum members know that I received an email from Selwyn this morning.

This bug is now fixed and will be included in the next patch/update, although he didn't say when that would be. ....
                  I sure hope not but my bet would be the "next patch/update" will be called V10. Well and good if you and all your clients plan to upgrade to V10, else not so good.

Yes, Peter, I know that's not what this thread is about but I sure am not going to be the one to start an entire moaning and groaning thread about this or anything else. It may not even be wise for me to moan and groan this much in this thread but then again it's not in my nature to be wise.

Raymond Lyons

Comment

Working...
                  X