Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

auto populating data in a form with set & lookups using genie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

auto populating data in a form with set & lookups using genie

Hi, I am doing an employee pay salary per semi-month period, cut-off on the 15th, and end of month. My current problem is how to lookup data from the Employrate table so that the following fields from the Attendance table will automatically be retrieved (pls see attachments for tables, sets, forms, sample data):
    1. Attdate (date worked)= data from calendar (from having the StartDate entered, the embedded browse table will have the list of dates from the calendar table, e.g. SartDate=06/01/2009, so that Attdate will automatically be populated with dates 06/01/2009 up to 06/15/2009). This forces the user to just input from dates within the desired period
    = currently, I need to manually enter Attdate in the Attendance table. With manually entering the Attdate, I am able to lookup the proper info from the Calendar table (to give me Ppid, DateType), and from Xsrate table (to give me Factor, OT, ND fields), but am unable to lookup any data from the Employrate table.
    2. Rpd (Rate/day) and Rpm (Rate/month) = data from employrate table, to be chosen based on Attdate inputted so that the correct rate will be supplied (e.g. if Attdate=06/01/2009, Rpd=10.00, and Rpm=0.00; if Attdate=07/16/2009, Rpd=0.00 and Rpm=1000.00. Currently, it's not able to lookup from the employrate table and is giving me a value of 0.00)

Current limitation: My situation requires that Dates & Time in/out data be manually entered.

Form#1 from set employrate: Main table=Employees, embedded browse table=Employrate

Form#2: from set employatt: Main table=Employees, embedded browse table=Attendance (the Calendar table doesn't come up in the list of table choices for the embedded browse genie)

Employees table: contains employee data, each employee is given a unique EmployeeID
    Employrate table: contains rates validity per employee (rates can either be on a perday or per month basis)
    Period table: data is pre-entered
    Calendar table: data is pre-entered
    Xsrate table: data is pre-entered
    Attendance table: manually entered Date, RPDay, RPMnth (which I'm trying to figure out how to auto-lookup), and time in/out (designed to be manually entered); current auto-lookup from Calendar link & lookup: PeriodID, DateType; current auto-lookup from Xsrate link & lookup: Factor, OT, ND

I am sure that my set is incorrect, considering that PeriodID is one-to-many relation to Calendar, but I don't know of any other way to link these correctly in the same set to use in my form. I tried linking Employees to Employrate using 1-many but it won't give me the data in the Attendance table either...

Is there any way to accomplish my required outcomes using just the genie, without manual XBasic coding involved? I've never done coding at all and have usually just used the functions available...
    Thanks very much for anyone willing to shed some light on this...

Re: auto populating data in a form with set & lookups using genie

Hi Anna,

Trying so sort through your question I think your main problem is a lookup.

There are different types of lookups so it is not clear from your screen shots what your method of data entry is.

Have you looked in Alphasports invoice to see how the lookup is used there?
    Regards
    Keith Hubert
    Alpha Guild Member
    London.
    KHDB Management Systems
    Skype = keith.hubert

For your day-to-day Needs, you Need an Alpha Database!

Comment

Hi Keith, yes I have and using the current Employatt set, I am able to post the correct data into the Attendance table from:
      1. Calendar table: by linking Date field in Calendar table to Attdate in Attendance table, I get the correct PeriodID, DateType
      Once there's a DateType, it also automatically gives me:
      2. Xsrate: by linking DateType field from Xsrate to DateType field in Attendance table, I get the correct Factor, OT, ND fields
      Problems:
      1. I currently use the employeeID field to link the Attendance table with the Employrate, I am just not quite sure why no data is being retrieved from the Employrate table using lookup and am wondering if it might be my set construction that's the problem...
      2. Periodid table: linked to Calendar thru Ppid field. Both the Calendar and Periodid tables data have been pre-entered, so from my Empatt form, I would like to be able to get the list of Calendar dates within a cut-off period (e.g. In the PeriodFr, I enter 06/01/2009, so my rows will show dates from 06/01/2009 until 06/15/2009 from the Calendar table, and then if I enter the TimeIn/Out data, automatic filling in of information will be done at the Attendance table - Date, Ppid, DateType, Factor, OT, ND.
      Therefore, all the user needs to do is change the time in/out record, without having to input the actual dates, and through the lookups, it will furnish all the required data...
      If there's anything else I need to furnish to make things clearer, pls let me know, thanks very much.

Comment

Hi Anna,

I think you are at the point where a sample of your app would be better understood and could be worked on if you were to post it here.
        Regards
        Keith Hubert
        Alpha Guild Member
        London.
        KHDB Management Systems
        Skype = keith.hubert

Comment

Sorry, yes, should have done that in the 1st place... Kindly see attached file, thanks.

Comment

Hi Anna,
            I am just not quite sure why no data is being retrieved from the Employrate table using lookup and am wondering if it might be my set construction that's the problem...
            This would only be down to the construction of the lookup not the Set construction, as you dont need to have a table in the set to do the lookup.
            I would like to be able to get the list of Calendar dates within a cut-off period
            Please see thumbnail, I have used todays date function as the starting point to filter the calendar lookup by 15 days. You can make the filter far more complex by using other functions as the starting point to build the Between. See Date and Time Functions in the Online Help file.
            Regards
            Keith Hubert
            Alpha Guild Member
            London.
            KHDB Management Systems
            Skype = keith.hubert

Comment

Thanks, your solution got me thinking that I might need to add a variable and use that as the between dates for the filter... Thanks again for your help...

Comment

Working...
              X