Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

User Interface design ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: User Interface design ideas?

There's a few books by Robin Williams that have helped me a lot:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Non+designers+design&x=0&y=0

Especially, "Web Design Workshop" and "Non-designers Design Book."

Also, go to Download.com and check out their webware section. A lot of the web apps nowadays have great, crisp and neat looks to them that can be easily emulated.

For example, check out:
    https://www.trexglobal.com/property-...ftware/welcome

http://www.quasitime.com/screen_planner.jpg

http://www.project2manage.com/tour.php

http://s3.amazonaws.com/geezeo/image...new_design.jpg

The common theme is lots of sans-serif fonts, with clear headings using subtle colors and gradients on top of a white background.

Also, one of the reasons I love Dilbert cartoons is because it shows the constant friction between sales and production.

What if, when designing the I-Phone, Steve Jobs said, "People don't want a pretty interface, they just want it to work well." How many people would have bought the I-Phone? Design and aesthetics are really important for sales! Period.

Comment

BTW, if your plan is to market this application to other users at some point in time, you need to make that decision up front and design it that way. Trying to retrofit it for commercial distribution is very, very time-consuming.
      I really have to agree with this one. I will add that if a company later wishes it used for 2+ locations as a stand alone and still wants combined reporting and input, plan for that too.

I had to add location numbers and every employee is assigned to a location and/or.

Each user has their own place/permissions and a manager can see only where he is supposed to.

This is very hard to do and 10 times as hard after the app is built.

If you are as interested as you seem, you will definitely be able to handle it. You will also get all kinds of help on this forum.

Dave Mason
      [email protected]
      Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Here's another opinion...

I think John and Bob (and others) are confusing two distinct avenues of development.

If an application is to be a generic one to be sold to unknown users, then I agree that much of what you see is not conducive to doing that (not "pretty enough!). And, in agreement, if this was the majority case for Alpha developers, then Alpha should concentrate a bit more on giving us the ability to do this more easily.

But how many developers here do that? Not many I bet. Most here create Custom Software applications for a specific client. As such, how an application looks is most times left up to the client that is being developed for. I contend that these clients would rather have the developer concentrate on the functionality than aesthetics.

The latter is why I think there are just not that many aesthetically pleasing applications created by Alphanians.
        Mike

Comment

Originally posted by MikeC View Post
          Here's another opinion...

I think John and Bob (and others) are confusing two distinct avenues of development.

If an application is to be a generic one to be sold to unknown users, then I agree that much of what you see is not conducive to doing that (not "pretty enough!). And, in agreement, if this was the majority case for Alpha developers, then Alpha should concentrate a bit more on giving us the ability to do this more easily.

But how many developers here do that? Not many I bet. Most here create Custom Software applications for a specific client. As such, how an application looks is most times left up to the client that is being developed for. I contend that these clients would rather have the developer concentrate on the functionality than aesthetics.

The latter is why I think there are just not that many aesthetically pleasing applications created by Alphanians.
          Boy I hope I'm not looking at the wrong development product. I have one client that I develop custom applications for, but the rest of my business is commercial applications for endusers in any number of places.

What attracted to me to Alpha is that it is suitable for both... I hope.

The problem with what I am currently using and relying is that for custom apps, it takes almost as much work as for distributed (commercial) apps. What we've resorted to is developing our custom apps (this client has numerous ones) with the same features as our distributed apps.

I'm really looking for a development platform that will do it all. I'm used to jumping through hoops, just not used to running into dead ends.
          John J. Fatte', CPA
          PRO-WARE, LLC
          Omaha, NE 68137

Comment

:) John,

I did not intend to alarm you in any way. Alpha can be used in almost any way you can imagine. I was just trying to point out a possible "why" the user interfaces you see here are not of the polished types that you and Bob seem to want.
            just not used to running into dead ends
            Generally speaking--everything I have thought of or tried to do in Alpha I have been able to.

I have only found perhaps a couple of seemingly "dead ends" in Alpha---but they may not be with the ingenuity of the people at this messageboard. One is drag and drop functionality---there are ways to emulate it but I do not believe anyone has surmounted this issue yet.
            Mike

Comment

Frank,

Don't wish Alpha would read that book and take its guidance to
              heart?

As you may have learned, its not really hard to build a good looking form just following a couple of basic design guidelines.

You may be interested in a design makeover I posted this evening on the thread "Revisit-Colaspable left Menu-Desktop".

Bob McGaffic
              Pittsburgh

Comment

My Random thoughts.....
                My kids think the I Phone is cool. The functionality of the apps are secondary...unless of course they are cool. In fact Macs are cool. One reason why I purchased Filmmaker pro. I switched to Alpha five because I needed the functionality of a true relational database program and Alpha's underrated data operations. ( I haven't seen a program that matches it yet).

I agree the interface drives the sales. My company switched software because the program really looked good. They could drag and drop all over the place. A slick interface must mean a state of the art application.

People will use a method no matter how bad if they don't know a better alternative exists(or they just don't want to change). Hence, spreadsheet and Ms word created databases.

I miss my Dos applications. Straight forward and fast. I created applications that only needed the function and arrow keys to move through the program.

I have must have owned at least 30 database programs. From Object vision to Clarion. Only some what proficient with three or four of them.

Comment

Maybe it's just semantics, but...

Originally posted by Pureeman View Post
                  My Random thoughts.....
                  I agree the interface drives the sales. My company switched software because the program really looked good. They could drag and drop all over the place.
                  drag and drop is pure functionality. Sure... it's fun, but way, way beyond that it's intuitive and easy and pure function. Maybe "looked good" meant it worked really well, but taken literally it doesn't matter.

Sure it's got to look, but it won't pass if it doesn't work well... so... form and function... but a bit more on function.

Comment

Mike,

Maybe there would be more developers producing generic software if certain features were improved. Many of the desktop features have been problematic.

The tree control aesthetics are awfull and is in serious need of an update. The tab control needs a serious makeover and increased functionality. These are not state of the art controls they are the basic stuff which Alpha should really be on top of as well as the ongoing browse issues. I have noticed that there hasn't been a patch for a while now. I suspect they are holding back until V10 is ready and then we will get one patch for V9 and that's your lot if anything doesn't work. That's how it went with V8 anyway.

Comment

Geoff,

Amen! The most critical controls for desktop application development are the tree, tab, browse/grid control, and splitter bar.

Why doesn't Alpha wake up and improve these instead of introducing more supercontrols?

Their tree control is significantly underpowered, the tab control is fine if a 1987 interface will do, their browse isn't half bad, but lacks the hierarchical collapse/expand of their competitors (Brilliant database), and the splitter bar doesn't exist.

So any serious Alpha Developer starts a project with one arm tied behind the other given these limitations.

Bob McGaffic
                      Pittsburgh

Comment

Originally posted by rmcgaffic View Post
                        ...and the splitter bar doesn't exist.
                        FWIW: Browses have a splitter as does xdialog. Like I said, FWIW.
                        Peter
                        AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
                        https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Peter,

Yes, you are right: browses allow you to change the width of column displayed using a splitting bar.

But that capability is built into the browse and not available as a separate control.

I've got a little challenge for you.

Did you see Charlie's "Revisit-Colaspable left Menu-Desktop" of a couple day's ago?

I posted a makeover to his menu last night. Can you figure out how to place a a splitter bar on the left edge of either

1. His before Alpha tree written with XDialog
                          2. My after tree using a third party tree control

I have rezipped his very small file and attached it to my posting. If you read my accompanying thread, you will see why the desktop splitter control is important.

I have attached the before/after screenprints below.

Look carefully at Charlie's, and you'll see a problem: his menu choices are unreadable. There is no way to scroll to the right in the tree control and no way to expand the width of the tree control of display the menu item descriptions fully.

In my makeover, I showed that either widening the tree or changing the font size helped deal with this problem, and I had another ace up my sleeve. I could activate a horizontal scrollbar to the tree if I wanted to. As far as I can see, Alpha's tree has only a vertical scrollbar, not a horizontal one.

But what I really want to do is be able to expand the tree by dragging it. We do this every day with Microsoft Outlook for every version I can remember. You can grab the right size of the task list and widened or shorten it as much as you like. This capability has been available for years in Microsoft Access using FMS.

Here's an animation link you might find interesting in as much there are both horizontal and vertical splitter bars used together:
                          http://www.fmsinc.com/microsoftacces...bar/index.html

How would you ever do this with Alpha Five without a splitter control? My problem is that the FMS control will not work with Alpha Five (OK, for MS Access only?) but every other single activeX splitter bar control I've found that work with Visual Basic/Visual Studio are dead on arrival when used with Alpha Five.

Bob McGaffic
                          Pittsburgh
                          Last edited by rmcgaffic; 07-06-2009, 12:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter.Greulich View Post
                            FWIW: Browses have a splitter as does xdialog. Like I said, FWIW.
                            But I find the splitter functionality quite useless from the development point of view - it's only somewhat useful at runtime. You have no control over the splitter for columns at design time. When you split a browse at runtime the split is not saved. You can't really do much with it.

Comment

David,

It's nice to have a splitter bar in a browse, but that doesn't qualify as providing a splitter bar for developers. A splitter bar is meant to allow the user at run time to widened or shorten areas or columns as needed.

Take a look at Quicken, Quickbooks, SAP, Hyperion, Microsoft Outlook, etc. This commercial software all makes use of a list, task list, menu, etc. at the left side of the screen that can be widened by grabbing the splitting bar and moving it.

This is STANDARD functionality in commercial software. Microsoft Access allows developers to incorporate it in their applications.

Bob McGaffic
                              Pittsburgh, PA

Comment

Agreed... I always used the splitter in Access and miss it sorely... along with the ability to control depth of dropdown combo boxes.

Comment

Working...
                                X