Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Column Sort in browse on a set with filter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Column Sort in browse on a set with filter

A few months ago I did some searching and eventually posted this issue on the v8 forum. I found folks with similar problems but no solution that worked for me.

I finally decided to bite the bullet and get v9 to see if the problem would go away. Well I think we all know how that approach usually ends up. :)

So here I am, with the same problem, but with a few more facts.

If I create a browse (stand alone or imbedded) based on a set and try to sort using column sort it works as expected. If I use a filter, the column sort works on fields that belong to the parent table but not on fields from the child table.

The set has two tables, one to one, with no imbedded filter.

Any thoughts?
    Fred

Re: Column Sort in browse on a set with filter

Sure, it's a beautiful day in the neighborhood. :)

If you seek corroboration, how about posting a sample with instructions for us to follow?

It's not clear to me how you're sorting the columns. I think the tools on the toolbar (quick sort, for e.g.) are designed to work only with the parent table. What's your goal? button click column headers? All columns sortable?

In my own work I find that sorting columns is useful in one or two columns only on most browses. Additional functionality would never be used. If you always need to sort on a child table field and if your set is one to one, why not reverse the order of the tables in your set?

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Cone Jr View Post
      Sure, it's a beautiful day in the neighborhood. :)

It's not clear to me how you're sorting the columns. I think the tools on the toolbar (quick sort, for e.g.) are designed to work only with the parent table. What's your goal? button click column headers? All columns sortable?

In my own work I find that sorting columns is useful in one or two columns only on most browses. Additional functionality would never be used. If you always need to sort on a child table field and if your set is one to one, why not reverse the order of the tables in your set?
      Thanks Tom,

I'm not so much seeking corroboration as I am looking for other folks who have had the problem to see if they have been able to resolve the issue. I believe the consensus was that Alpha was aware of the problem but users were unable to provide a sample for Alpha to work on. And I would like to know if there has been any progress on that.

To clarify:

Stand alone browse with no filter - Quick Sort (toolbar) and Column sort (right click on column header) both work as expected on parent and child fields.
      Stand alone browse with filter on a parent table field - Both sorts work as expected on parent fields but unpredictable on child fields.

To elaborate, the sort on a child field might work ascending but not descending. Or not work on both. Behavior changes depending on which columns you try to sort first. Sort columnns in one sequence, close the browse and sort columns in a different sequence and the columns which do not sort correctly may change.

The common denominator is the presence/absence of a filter on a field in the parent table, eg SalesmanID="S00".

Goal? Yes, sort multiple columns via buttons. Why? A reasonable request by the user.

Turning the set "upside down" would demand a one to many relationship, eg., parent is "Customer", child is "CustomerActivity" would demand a one to many relationship.

And finally, I've kept this description to a stand alone browse, but I started with an imbedded browse and a browse on a form and the behavior is the same. Again the common denominator is the use of a filter, either at the browse properties or the form properties level.

So I'd like to know if anyone has found a fix or if Alpha would like to look at the issue.

And again thanks,
      Fred

Comment

I've got a small app that displays 4 list boxes on a form and a couple of browses. I can click on an item in any list box and have the browse filtered on that selection. In the OnInit event I sort the browse on 4 columns with this code...

Code:
        FUNCTION Query_Fitness AS C ( )

topparent:Browse2.activate()	
        dim s as p
        s = set.open_session("setinventorymaint.set")
        dim tbl as p
        tbl = s.table_get()
        query.filter = "flattenquery("+".t."+")"
        query.order = "Location+Category+Manufacturer+Desc"
        query.options = ""
        query.description = "Saved Query:qrySortInventoryRecords"
        tbl.query_create()
        s.close()

END FUNCTION
        When a list box item is selected I set a variable "filt" to a filter string and then run this code...

Code:
        :frmFitnessInventory:browse1.BaseQueryRun(filt)
        "Filt" is something like...

Code:
        filt = "Location = '" + varLocation + "'" + " .and. Category = '" + varCategory + "'"  + " .and. Manufacturer = '" + varManf + "'" + " .and. Desc = '" + varDesc + "'"
        So I'm running a filter against a browse and sorting the browse on 4 fields in code. I'm not sure if this is close to what you want to do. Let me know.

Comment

Hi Dave,

Thanks for taking time to post the detailed reply. I read through it several times but I'm still on my first cup of coffee so my head is still a bit fuzzy, so forgive if I misread something.

If I'm correct your form is based on a two table, one-to-one browse. The browse on-init event sorts the records on Location, Category, Manufacturer and Description. The user can then filter the displayed records by those same fields? Neat.

I hope I got that right. You sort first and then vary the filter. I want to filter first and then vary the sort. If so it's a bit different from what I'm doing, but I may be able to make it work. But first one question. Those four sort fields - do they all come from the parent table? Do any of them come from the child table?

If so, it may work for me. I see that you do filter the set when you build the original query. With some changes I could put my query there and then use your technique to create the sorts.

Again, my brain is a bit caffeine deprived at the moment, so I'm not sure I'm thinking straight. Let me know about the origin of the four fields and I'll give it a shot. Meanwhile, I submitted a bug report to Alpha. Maybe I'll get lucky and they will come back with a solution.

Thanks Dave,
          Fred

Comment

Hi Fred,

Yes... your understanding is correct. Although, the form is based on a set with 2 tables in a one-to-many layout... but the many side doesn't really affect what you're trying to do.

There are 2 browses... the first is a list of inventory records. The second (the many side) is a list of associated maintenance records - 1 or more for each inventory item.

As the Inventory browse is filtered, but maintenance browse is automatically filtered because of the set.

Even thought I sort the initial browse and then let a user filter, I see no reason why it can't be done the reverse.

Comment

Thanks again for the help. Unfortunately, same result. Even without a base filter on the form nor the set, as soon as I apply any filter, sort goes bonkers.

So I'm waiting to see what Alpha has to say about it. Called today to be certain they received my bug report. Now until I think of another approach I guess I just wait. Fortunately (or maybe unfortunately) there's plenty other work to do around here. :)
              Fred

Comment

Is there a way you could post your database or a database with the form and sets, tables so we could have a look?

Comment

Fred,
                  waiting to see what Alpha has to say about it......I guess I just wait
                  :) Two offers to see if a true bug/work-around can be found (I wouldn't mind playing a bit either BTW!!). Entirely your choice of course.
                  Mike

Comment

Thanks guys, very generous offer. Just seeing if the problem follows to a different platform would be great.

Check your email.

Thanks,
                    Fred

Comment

Well this sure seems like a bug to me.

Using the browse with no filter, the child column sorts work fine. Adding a filter to the browse produced unexpected results in child column sorts - and different results a-z, z-a each time they're applied.

I created a form based on the set and added a browse with columns from the parent and child tables. Exactly the same problems.

I would pack this up and ship it off to Alpha - it shouldn't behave like this.

Comment

I am fairly certain this issue first manifested itself in v8 quite some time ago....I do not have the thread handy but it did involve a very similar (if not the exact) scenario. I think a work-around was given then, but would have to find the thread to be certain.
                        Mike

Comment

Yes, I remember searching v8 several weeks back and find at least a couple references to workarounds. If I remember correctly the problems described were different. Tried them anyway, but they didn't work. If I remember correctly the inverted set is what was unique to this problem.

I did try a few things with that sample I sent and noticed something strange. After sorting on the child record fields, the field that pops up next to the scroll bar had gibberish instead of a valid field value. I compacted and it went away and I didn't have time to try to reproduce it but will see if I can over the weekend.

Thanks for the help guys.
                          Fred

Comment

I received a couple suggestions for workarounds but nothing that appears pertinent to this problem. It has also been a week since I submitted a bug report to Alpha, but no response. Not that I'm expecting a fix overnight or anything. But I would think a week should be long enough to acknowledge the report.

What has been your experience with reported bugs? I know I've had Selwyn respond on the forum to problems I've had in the past. I was very pleasantly shocked. Given the history of browse issues over the years and the frequent response that Alpha has been able to reproduce them, I would think they would be anxious to see if they have a repeatable problem. But the absence of a response as well as the lack of any of the Alpha folks chiming in here gets me wondering. Everyone's busy working on v10? Could be, I guess.

Well, fortunately there's no shortage of other work around here. :)
                            Fred

Comment

Working...
                            X