Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Problem using a variable in lookup function

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem using a variable in lookup function

Hi all,

Despite having got this to work once (then my daughter turned off pc before I had saved it grrrr), I cannot repeat my earlier (lucky) success.

I have created everything in action script as I'm not yet very proficient in xbasic.

The script displays a dialog box for the user to select a record from Table A and Table B, which are then stored in shared variables. I know these variables are OK because I can display them in a message box.

The script then opens a form for creating a new record in Table C.

I then want to populate some of the fields on the form using data from Tables A & B. I know this is a clumsy way of doing things, but I am stuck with the table structure from an existing Access database (in use for the past 10 years).

If I try to update a field value on the form with
    lookup("Table_A", "RecordID = var>Variable_A","Required_Field")
    I get an error (though I could swear it worked before.)

lookup("Table_A", "RecordID = 'Actual_Variable_Value'","Required_Field") gives the required result, so I know the expression is OK.

Obviously the syntax is wrong when trying to use the variable as the value for filtering.

Any help would be REALLY appreciated, as I have been stuck on this for 8 hours now, and it's 2.30 in the morning.
    If computers are so clever how come someone as dumb as me has to tell them what to do?

Re: Problem using a variable in lookup function

Code:
    lookup("Table_A", "RecordID = var>Variable_A","Required_Field")
    ' should be:  
    lookup("Table_A", "RecordID = var->Variable_A","Required_Field")
    'I would even go to:
    lookup("Table_A", "trim(RecordID) = alltrim(var->Variable_A)","Required_Field")

I see this and maybe it is not the only thing needed.???.

Dave Mason
    [email protected]
    Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Thanks for replying Dave.

I had actually made a typo in the original post (working too late), and had used "var->" .

Below is the exact line used for the 'set value' property of the form field.....

lookup("funders_new","Funder_Id = Var->currFunder","Funder_Name")

When I use this, the error message says that the lookup function can't be used in this context.

If I replace the variable with a known value, e.g.:
      lookup("funders_new","Funder_Id = '00000000026'","Funder_Name")
      Everything works as expected.
      If computers are so clever how come someone as dumb as me has to tell them what to do?

Comment

Curiouser and curiouser as Alice in Wonderland would say.....

I re-entered the expression exactly as before and no more error. However, if I select Funder A from the dialog box the form shows the details for Funder A. If I then select Funder B the form is still populated with details for Funder A, even though the contents of the variable are updated to Funder B.
        Last edited by Sooty57; 09-09-2009, 06:34 AM.

Comment

Data entry sequences are difficult to describe in sufficient detail. Suggest you put together an example (using non private or dummy data) and attach it to a reply here, with instructions for us to follow in order to trigger the problem.

Comment

Thanks Tom - I will do that

Comment

I would have used

Code:
              lookup("funders_new","Funder_Id = "+[COLOR="Red"]s_quote(Var->currFunder)[/COLOR],"Funder_Name")
              In most cases a reference inside of double quotes is interpreted as text, not a variable. Placing the reference outside of the double quotes and properly concatenating it generally resolves the issue.

Consider this from the interactive editor.

Code:
              currfunder = "00000000026"

? "Funder_Id = Var->currFunder"
              = "Funder_Id = Var->currFunder"

? "Funder_Id = 'Var->currFunder' "
              = "Funder_Id = 'Var->currFunder' "

? "Funder_Id = "+s_quote(Var->currFunder)
              = Funder_Id = "00000000026"
              There can be only one.

Comment

I just tested with an interim step and got appropriate results. I made the filter a varaible and just placed that variable into the lookup. I think you are having an issue with the variable not being translated properly because it is in quotes. I am doing a lookup into my user table. My user-ID is "SYS02". Because the field is a character field, the filter must be Fieldname = "variable".

Unless you include the quotes, it cannot resolve the filter expression.

Code:
                dim var1 as C
                var1 = "SYS02"

dim filt as C
                filt = "user ="+ quote(var->var1)

?filt
                = user ="SYS02"

?lookup("secure2.dbf",filt,"Name")
                = "Thomas Henkel                 "

Hope this helps,

Tom

Comment

Thanks for all your help guys. After following your advice verything is running smoothly now.

Because I hate reading forum threads where people post "Sorted", without giving details how, I have posted solution below. This may also be of use to those more used to Action Script than xbasic (like myself)......

I placed a new action in the action script editor (Inline xbasic), and inserted the following code.....
                  Code:
                  dim filtContact as c
                  filtContact = "Contactid = " + quote(var->currContact)
                  dim contactName as c
                  contactName = lookup("Funder_Contacts",filtContact,"Contact")
                  dim contactPos as c
                  contactPos = lookup("Funder_Contacts",filtContact,"Position")
                  dim contactPhone as c
                  contactPhone = lookup("Funder_Contacts",filtContact,"Telephone")
                  dim contactAdd1 as c
                  Create an action to open the form for creation of a new record.

Add another action from the editor (Set Value Property) to enter the values into the relevant fields on the form - this is a breeze because the variables declared in the xbasic action will all appear in the action script editor.

Yes, I know it is not the best way to do things but, as I said in the original post, I am limited by the table structure and 10 years of data from an existing Access database.

Comment

Something like this:
                    lookup("funders_new","Funder_Id = Var->currFunder","Funder_Name")

only works if the variable is a GLOBAL variable.

Think about it like this: The lookup is going "outside of the script" to do its thing. Therefore, it won't recognize any variables that are local to the script and enclosed in quotes.

If, instead you did something like this where the variable is not enclosed in quotes, it works because the variable is replaced with its value before the lookup runs:
                    filter = "Funder_id = \"" + var->currFunder + "\""
                    (same result as filter = "Funder_id = " + s_quote( var->currFunder )
                    lookup( "funders_new", var->filter, "Funder_Name" )
                    (The "var->" is optional in this case but not when enclosed in quotes and referencing a global variable.)

The same thing is true of filters and orders for layouts.

The reason the s_quote works is that it is actually replacing the variable name with the actual value in the variable. The s_quote function is just (supposedly) an easier way of doing this:
                    Lookup( "funders_new", "Funder_Id = \"" + var->currFunder + "\", "Funder_Name" )
                    which should look very similar to the above where I defined a filter.

Personally, I actually find it more confusing to use the s_quote thing - but I think I'm the only one that feels that way. Maybe because I've often been known to have many "s_quote" situations in one filter string. After a certain point you have to be careful no matter how you do it.

Confused yet?

Comment

Originally posted by CALocklin View Post
                      only works if the variable is a GLOBAL variable.
                      Actually none of the variables are global, and everything is working great. I'm not arguing, just stating my observations.

Comment

It depends on how they are used. If "s_quoted" they will work whether global or not.

Comment

None of the variables are s_quoted() , just quoted()

They are, however all used in the same script.

Comment

Quote() and s_quote() are equivalent for character data types. S_quote() is extremely handy when dealing with date, numeric, and logical data types and as Cal noted, mixtures..
                            There can be only one.

Comment

Working...
                            X