Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Can I have a report based on variables or table in memory only?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I have a report based on variables or table in memory only?

I have a process which extracts data from several tables and fills in a new table. The number of records changes with each run. A report is based on this new table. This table is only needed for the report and is zapped before each use. Is has no other use. The most time consuming part of the process is writing the new table (not getting the data). I would like to avoid the disk activity in filling in the new table. I have two ideas but do not know how to do either.
    1) Create the table in memory with out disk writes. Can I create a virtual table which only exists in memory? I do not want to use a ram disk.
    2) Base the report on dot variables instead of a table. It is easy to get all the data I need for the report into dot variables and use those in a report. The dot variable will be in an array with a different size each run (like the number of records in the table). But the report has a detail section and groups based on one of the elements in the dot variables. How can I use a detail section and groups in a report that uses variables to hold the data?
    You suggestions and any other ideas are welcome.
    Thanks
    Irwin

Re: Can I have a report based on variables or table in memory only?

Originally posted by irwincohen View Post
    The most time consuming part of the process is writing the new table (not getting the data).
    How much data and how much time does the writing take?

If the data is cleansed coming in, then there shouldn't be a need to field rules - which might cause issues.

What does the code look like that writes the table?

Operation, action scripting, or xbasic "use tbl.batch_begin() and tbl.batch_end() " - requires exclusive access but is much faster....

Are there indices on the target table?
    Al Buchholz
    Bookwood Systems, LTD
    Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
    Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
    Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
    When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
    "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
    Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

1) Create the table in memory with out disk writes. Can I create a virtual table which only exists in memory? I do not want to use a ram disk.
      2) Base the report on dot variables instead of a table. It is easy to get all the data I need for the report into dot variables and use those in a report. The dot variable will be in an array with a different size each run (like the number of records in the table). But the report has a detail section and groups based on one of the elements in the dot variables. How can I use a detail section and groups in a report that uses variables to hold the data?
      1) No. You can't create a virtual table that the report engine could use to print or preview a report.

2) No. Your report layouts must be based on tables or sets of tables, and the report engine features that create the different sectioins of the report, and group the records, are black boxes to us. We can't change how they work at runtime. Xbasic includes a fairly robust set of "file" statements that could be used to create a text file that resembles a report, but you'd be responsible for scripting how each line of the text file is formed. I suppose the same sort of line by line construction could be written to a memo field, which is then the only object in a report layout. Haven't tried that, but you're looking at a huge amount of work, roughly equivalent to building your own report engine.

Comment

Hi Al and thanks for your reply. Your idea of tbl.batch_begin() and tbl.batch_end() worked quite well. The routine updates one field in each record in the table in least 100 records and as much as 500 records depending on the user. With out the batch_begin and end it takes about 12 seconds for 400 updates and with the batch_begin and end it only takes 3 seconds. So the improvement is really worth it. The need for exclusive access is not a problem so I will install your suggestion. FYI I am testing on a Pentium 4 at 2.6 gHz under windows 7. There are no indices on the table.

I am still curious about how to create a report using a detail section and groups based on the data in variables and not in the associated table. Then I would not have to write the table at all but could go directly from the data to the report. The table would be empty and all the data in the variables. But with your suggestion this is not urgent, it just would be fun to do.
        Thanks for you help
        This forum is great.
        Irwin

Here is the relevant code

Table was zapped and is now open.
        3 Arrays are filled.
        Arrsize is between 100 and 500 depending on user.

trace.WriteLn("start "+now()) 'for testing
        tbf.batch_begin() 'this saves time on the table writes

tbf.enter_begin() 'tbf was zapped so enter first record
        tbf.Thedate = arrThedate[1]
        tbf.Dow = arrDow[1]
        tbf.Hour = arrHour[1]
        tbf.enter_end()
        arrpos = 1
        while arrpos <= arrsize 'loops between 100 and 500 times
        tbf.fetch_first() 'must find first - just made it so no test, now scan for the date, hour
        while .NOT.tbf.fetch_eof() .and. (tbf.Thedate<>arrThedate[arrpos] .or. tbf.Hour<>arrHour[arrpos])
        tbf.fetch_next()
        end while 'now either eof or date and hour were found
        if tbf.fetch_eof() 'eof = not found so must make one
        tbf.enter_begin()
        tbf.Thedate = arrThedate[arrpos]
        tbf.Dow = arrDow[arrpos]
        tbf.Hour = arrHour[arrpos]
        tbf.enter_end()
        end if 'now pointed at the right tbf either we found it or made it
        tbf.change_begin()
        SELECT
        CASE arrRoom[arrpos] = "201"
        tbf.R201 = arrLoginid[arrpos]
        CASE arrRoom[arrpos] = "202"
        tbf.R202 = arrLoginid[arrpos]
        CASE arrRoom[arrpos] = "203"
        tbf.R203 = arrLoginid[arrpos]
        'another 10 case statements
        CASE else
        end SELECT
        tbf.change_end()
        arrpos = arrpos + 1
        end while
        tbf.batch_end()
        trace.WriteLn("end "+now()) 'for testing

'close the table

Comment

Hi Tom, Thanks for your answer. You are right. Creating a report generator is not for me. So using these temporary tables to hold the data for the report seems the only way to go. Thanks to Al's suggestion the time required is now tolerable.
          Thanks,
          Irwin

Comment

Irwin,

As you've discovered, when you post xbasic code here the message board left justifies each line. Makes it very difficult for readers to parse. Please preserve your indents by using the "Go Advanced" button to open a better editor. Once there, you can select your code and then click pound sign (#) tool to surround the selected code statements with CODE tags. Thanks.

Comment

FYI I am testing on a Pentium 4 at 2.6 gHz under windows 7.
              Wow I didn't think win 7 would work in that old of a processor.....

My guess from experience I have with win 7 on an I5 processor with 4 gb is this volume would run in the blink (or 2) of an eye... The I7 I have is ultra fast... and well worth the money..

Never send a boy to do a man's job... ( ie a big computer solves many problems...)
              Last edited by Al Buchholz; 01-22-2012, 02:59 PM.
              Al Buchholz
              Bookwood Systems, LTD
              Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
              Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
              Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
              When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
              "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
              Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

Code:
                end while	 'now either eof or date and hour were found
                If your table had an index you could avoid stepping through all the records with this while ... end while loop. Just do an indexed find by key. If the table is large this will save considerable time.

Comment

As per Toms suggestion here is the code again. I hope this is better
                  Thanks Tom
                  Irwin

Here is the table structure
                  FLATAPP4DESK->Table Structure
                  ------------------------------
                  THEDATE D 8 0
                  DOW C 9 0
                  HOUR C 4 0
                  R201 C 6 0
                  R202 C 6 0
                  R203 C 6 0
                  R204 C 6 0
                  R205 C 6 0
                  R206 C 6 0
                  R207 C 6 0
                  R208 C 6 0
                  R209 C 6 0
                  R210 C 6 0
                  R211 C 6 0
                  R212 C 6 0
                  R213 C 6 0
                  R214 C 6 0
                  R215 C 6 0
                  -----------------------------------------------

Code:
                  Table was zapped and is now open.
                  4 Arrays are filled.
                  Arrsize is between 100 and 500 depending on user.

trace.WriteLn("start "+now())
                  tbf.batch_begin()

tbf.enter_begin()			'tbf was zapped so enter first record 
                  	tbf.Thedate = arrThedate[1]
                  	tbf.Dow = arrDow[1]
                  	tbf.Hour = arrHour[1]
                  tbf.enter_end()
                  arrpos = 1
                  while arrpos <= arrsize	'loops between 100 and 500 times
                  	tbf.fetch_first()	'must find first - just made it so no test, now 											scan for the date, hour
                  	while .NOT.tbf.fetch_eof() .and. (tbf.Thedate<>arrThedate[arrpos] 									.or. tbf.Hour<>arrHour[arrpos])
                  		tbf.fetch_next()
                  	end while		'now either eof or date and hour were found
                  	if tbf.fetch_eof()			 'eof = not found so must make one
                  		tbf.enter_begin()
                  			tbf.Thedate = arrThedate[arrpos]
                  			tbf.Dow = arrDow[arrpos]
                  			tbf.Hour = arrHour[arrpos]
                  		tbf.enter_end()
                  	end if	'now pointed at the right tbf either we found it or made it
                  	tbf.change_begin()
                  	SELECT
                  		CASE arrRoom[arrpos] = "201"
                  			tbf.R201 = arrLoginid[arrpos]
                  		CASE arrRoom[arrpos] = "202"
                  			tbf.R202 = arrLoginid[arrpos]
                  		CASE arrRoom[arrpos] = "203"
                  			tbf.R203 = arrLoginid[arrpos]
                  		'another 10 case statements
                  		CASE else
                  	end SELECT
                  	tbf.change_end()
                  	arrpos = arrpos + 1	
                  end while	
                  tbf.batch_end()
                  trace.WriteLn("end "+now())

'close the table

Comment

If you don't care much about how your report may look, you could always write the variables to a text file and print that...
                    Robin

Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in those things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford

Comment

Hey, Robin,

Thanks for filling in some details omitted in my similar suggestion at post #3, above.

tom

Comment

Sorry Tom - I was doing a bit of selective reading

I feel like I have been in here all day looking for answers...
                        Robin

Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in those things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford

Comment

You suggestions and any other ideas are welcome.
                          I would say yes, you can do this - sort of, but you can't use groups and so forth. Here is how I have done this:

You can write all your code, including formatting, to output into a global variable. In your report, put an RTF object in the detail section. Add the global variable to your report and drop it into the RTF. From your form or where ever you are going to run your report from, set the report to print the current record only (your report won't need any fields) - or conversely in the report filter you could put recno()=1, or some such. Make sure the RTF properties has "allow growth" checked. As far as grouping, do this in the code that outputs to the global. This does work as I have several reports like this. I think in my reports I write the data to a text object and then read the text object into the global as the last step before printing. Not sure why I did it that way, maybe it was for testing purposes, but you should be able to skip the text file and go straight to the global. Also, I use Courier New as the font for the variable so that the character spacing works. If you need to have bold and underlining, etc then you will have to embed HTML formatting into your output and use the printHTML() function.
                          Peter
                          AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
                          https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

I only read the title to this thread..so this answer might be redundant.
                            Yes you can create a report purely on variables only.

Few months back, I embarked on such a project since it involved very complex calculations. I, naively, thought it would be better for timing sake to do this purely in RAM as opposed to physical tables.
                            Well, after a major effort utilizing primarily arrays, I came to the realization that one of the best if not the best ways to do this is not via arrays, but rather csv files. They are very simple very quick and efficient.
                            But if you wish, you could do this, including grouping of course, via arrays only.

Comment

and why not a ram disk? it does reside in memory only. You do have to copy a complete dbf to memory or make it with code on command. you still have to sort/manipulate that data. A ram disk is like lightning compared to disk reads.

I really prefer Gabe and Peters ideas along with others saying the same thing,

You still have to get(in most cases) by reading table(s) to get the starting data. I do the same by reading this data to variables and then make extesive use of variables in a report. Been doing it for years. My largest report has never been timed, but it is almost instantaneous. I do it with UDFs and a script here or there.
                              Dave Mason
                              [email protected]
                              Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Working...
                              X