Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

marketing question..please help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

marketing question..please help

We are preparing a marketing campaign for Alpha Five, and one of the questions that we have been asked is:

What are the 5 top market niches that Alpha Five serves?

Please reply to me as soon as possible to
    [email protected]

Many thanks in advance for you thoughts.

Richard Rabins
    Richard Rabins
    Co Chairman
    Alpha Software

RE: marketing question..please help

Hi Richard
    Thats a good question.

For me I came to alpha software looking for a easy but inexpensive way to build a own database. so I would think do it yourselfer's would be at the top of the list.
    I started out doing this as a hobby and started a small software company useing only a5. One may say that small business is a market niche for alpha.
    I would hope that the newner versions would open up other markets.

Nick

Comment

I'd agree, smaller businesses that need a networked database software are a prime market. I think the developers could do more in this market given the proper marketing of Alpha Five. I believe it will also become quite popular for in-house appication programmers, as it already is becoming.

However, from what I have seen, size isn't an issue with Alpha Five in regard to its functionality. I have 100-record databases and 3 million-record databases that perform equally well. Perhaps mid-sized business needs to be targeted more heavily.

Tom Lyon

Comment

Richard,

You and I have discussed thios in the past. I think there are five main types of Alpha users:

1. End users who have moderate database needs and require a simple interface.

2. Power users who require Alpha Five's chutzpah.

3. Corporate user-developers who are developing applications for their company.

4. Independent developers and consultants who are using Alpha Five instead of Office Developer, Paradox or stand-alond languages to develop their own applications for clients or to sell.

While Alpha Five can reach all of these user level requirements, the documentation and support options currently available, in my opinion, cannot -- yet.

? ? ?

Best regards,

Geoff Hollander

Comment

Ooops, I meant four main types...

GH

Comment

Geoff,

And the 5th one is a facility that is Not Microsoft centric! :-)

Regards,

Ira J. Perlow
            Computer Systems Design & Associates
            [email protected]
            Regards,

Ira J. Perlow
            Computer Systems Design

CSDA A5 Products
            New - Free CSDA DiagInfo - v1.39, 30 Apr 2013
            CSDA Barcode Functions

CSDA Code Utility
            CSDA Screen Capture

Comment

One thing that struck me when I looked at the specialties described on the Developer's page, and when I chatted with people at the Developer's Conference last fall, was that there seemed to be a large proportion of "non-computer" Professionals - Doctors, Dentists, Lawyers, Engineers - developing their own applications for their own (mostly small?) businesses.

Comment

In my humble opinion, as soon as the A5 word processor has some extra functionality, especially emulating the MS Word "table" function, then A5 will compete with and beat MS Office for small businesses. For mid-sized businesses it will be necessary to have easy, full sql server connectivity.

Comment

Does Alpha Five even have competition in solo professional/jack of all trades market? You can tell Access is too difficult by the number of books and courses out there. The others aren't up to the job that I've heard.

Comment

Re post here, where the REAL action is!

Ummm - top 5 niches out of what list?

I came to Alpha Five with limited programming background and have a sophisticated database solution for a small business.
                    1. End user developed custom database system (me now)
                    2. Consultant provided custom database solution
                    3. Network database solution
                    4. Core software integration - shell out to Excel, Word etc
                    5. Packaged Database solution (me in my dreams)

Comment

1.It is easier to get started with right out of the box.

2.It has the power to get the job done.

3.It's posting capabilities

4.It's multi-user set right out of the box.

5.It's report and letter capabilities right out of the box.

A lot of people use FileMaker because it's easier to use than Access but Filemaker does not have the power of Access. Alpha has the best of both ease of uses and the power to get the job done. If we are talking about V.5 being able to save a report or letter in pdf and then e-mailing it with a click of the mouse. Saves time and money.
                      Documentation right the box is better how many of us got that much documentation out of a Microsoft box or FileMaker box. In depth documentation on FileMaker and Access from (other sources), I paid a good price for.

Comment

I started using Alpha software way back with Alpha 3 (or maybe it was 2). At the time I was using spreadsheets to manage all my data. I knew intuitively that I really needed a database but was reluctant to use one because of the difficulty involved. Your marketing thrust at the time was that Alpha was quick and easy to use for non-experts. I bit and have been hooked ever since.
                        It worked way back then, so why not now?
                        Also maybe some emphasis on the power of field rules; particularly for someone who wants to use the software - not program it.

Comment

Seems to me that the target market is the same market that led to the PC boom in the first place: People with a simple problem to solve that are looking for an inexpensive solution that they can control exclusive of the corporate control freaks who are too slow and way to expensive.

The developer types that inhabit this board are, I think, a minority of the potential customers.

Stress quick solutions without needing expertise (but you would need instructions, i.e. manuals).

Stress independent solutions for problems without corporate control. (but you need to get at the data that may be in a corporate database, i.e. odbc or sql)

Stress low cost.

Stress how much improvement it is over the spreadsheet that they are probably using now, ie flexibility and expandability.
                          Pat Bremkamp
                          MindKicks Consulting

Comment

Marketing is a big word. It is not just advertising. It encompasses the whole experience of the product from buying it to recommending it. As you go through the process remember it is a game of "Who you know, not What you know". If you pay the big bucks for the big marketing machine you create a marketing experience that speaks for itself, but if you miss the mark won't pay for itself. So keep it simple.

Since it encompasses the whole experience you have actually completed the majority of the marketing in the way you built the product. You built it for easy, rapid development of complex database solutions. You rang the bell big time. While the printed support has slumped, you recovered with this amazing online forum.

I got Alpha Three after a computer tech suggested it as an easy alternative to dbase III. It appealed as I could do my own thing. Alpha Five is a totally satisfying product for the small business owner willing to spend time doing hs own thing. This seems to be a large portion of existing users (my perception of the board) yet I bet you only have a small portion of this market. This works, you do it well, get more of it.

It also seems ideal for a corporate type environment where information needs to be shared - to create and control internal operation systems. It's ability to be customized by relatively inexperienced users should appeal, along with its speed of development and scalability. I don't work in this environment, but if you are not there don't blow your wad unless you are sure you will get it back. However, I would bet you could really deliver some goods in this environment.

For the frustrated converted from these two groups (folks who liked the promise, can see it, taste it, but are too busy to truly DO it) there is a market for developers. These folks are great for recommendations. Get them to write articles and publish them anywhere anytime give them as much incentive as you can they are your A1 triple AAA unpaid salesmen. Could you give them a kickback for product sold based on their recommendation?

It seems a little shaky at version 4 for making a database package. It is not secure enough to stand up to the rigors of idiot savants. Lets get version five out and play with it before selling this option. If it works, market this as part of version 6, building these tools into the product to deliver the promise.

There has been a flurry of User group activity recently. We just had a West Coast meeting, planning a second one for August. I suggested it to Sylvia Tobias as I foresee a marketing blitz with version 5 and if the curious go to the website and see lots of user groups they will immediately feel they are joining a crowd. They may well want classes, and a user group is the natural way to facilitate this, while letting the frustrated converted meet potential developers. Alpha Software ought to allocate marketing dollars for these groups, especially with respect to class material. Maybe create a set of teaching tools and give them out to user groups.

I look forward to developments.

Comment

I agree with all the ideas listed above. I would also encourage you to "bundle" sample applications that novice users can use right out of the box. I remember buying an optional disk back in the Alpha Dos years that had many valuable Alpha applications aimed at a variety of preofessional and personal uses. The best part is you could use these as a starting point. This group of users are the non-database programmers that can use A5 to solve a database need for their organization. Could you market A5v5 this way by listing a variety of "out of the box" applications that users could use immediately, but with the power of A5 the user could customize them as they gained experience.

Thanks for your efforts Richard.

Dave

David Theoharides
                              Principal
                              Mattanawcook Junior High School
                              Lincoln, Maine 04457
                              David Theoharides
                              Assistant Superintendent of Schools
                              Sanford School Department
                              917 Main Street - Suite 200
                              Sanford, ME 04073
                              [email protected]