Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

**Puzzled**-employee absent report?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

**Puzzled**-employee absent report?

To all:
    I have a table with employee time entered.
    could have from 10 to several hundred employees.
    each employee has at least 1 record for each day that they work.
    no records for the days that they are absent.
    how can I print a report showing each employee and the days that they missed?
    I do have a table built for each year that shows each workday and holiday.
    the year folder has only days no employee numbers.
    I cant do an append unique because it would only do 1 employee.
    Any ideas?
    Charlie Crimmel

RE: **Puzzled**-employee absent report?

Charlie, reporting on data that 'isn't there' can be tricky. There are probably several approaches you could take.

One approach would be to build an intermediate table whose only purpose would be for the report. This table would contain employee identifier fields and the date missed work. Each record would correspond to a single employee and a single missed day.

To build the intermediate table, write a script which

1) steps through the table of workdays for the year, one day at a time
    2) for each day
    -- step through your master list of employees
    ---- for each employee check the table of employee time worked
    ---- if there's a record of time worked for that day skip it
    ---- otherwise, write that employee and the date to the temp table
    3) repeat cycle until all days of the year are processed.

-- tom

Comment

Hi Charlie,

You could do this with your current structure, but I don't know how the reporting would like for sure as I've never tried this.

Link your employee table to the table showing workdays and holidays. This link (one to many) would be such that each employee record would link to all records in the workday table (you can do this easily with an expression). Now link the actual work records to the workday table linking on the date fields ONE TO ONE.

Now, the unknown part. This stucture will allow you to print a report for each employee showing all days in the year and which ones where worked. You should be able to come up with a filter (as you've linked one to one the workdays table with the worked table) that will only show those days not worked as alpha basically treats a one to one link as the 'same' table.

Never done this, just thinking out loud,

Jim

Comment

Charlie,

This isn't going to work as I've described it as it would link all worked records to the workdays and holidays table not discriminating different employees. This grandchild link would have to include an employee ID. I don't know how you are going to get this is it wouldn't be present in the workdays and holidays table. You could link in reverse and might be able to come up with a way to do this with your current structures however this would appear to give you 365 days and which employees worked on a given date. In other words it would be date centric rather than employee centric.

Sorry, spoke before thinking enough,
        Jim

Comment

Charlie,
          Reporting on non events can be tricky business in a database application. An app created for a client of mine collects time with job codes etc. We have different job phases for many kinds of non productive work. You could create a job or phase for absentees. You could have a routine like Tom described that would create a permanent record for each active employee for each absent day ( zero hours worked ). This would not only lend itself to easy reporting, but could be seen immediately in an employee inquiry form.

Comment

charlie:

I do prepare a report similar to what you are looking to do. I create a table that contains one entry for each day of the month. I process the data for the month and populate the records based on the day of the month. a second scan of the file indicates which days are empty. those are the exceptions you are looking for. I will look for this evening and send it to you.

bob adler

Comment

Working...
            X