Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Multiple Lookups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multiple Lookups

In my "LOGFILE" dbf I have 4 fields that I need to search for a inputted target value. All are Character Fields, IDENTITY, FALSE_ID and AS contain single values whilst OLD_ID contains many from 0 upwards.
    I have scripts written that will quite happily find values one-at-a-time. If I use the A5 query option I can search for multiple entries, but have to input my list ov values 4 times, once for each field.
    Is it possible to write a user script to allow multiple lookups?
    Answers on a post card please!!

TIA
    --
    Support your local Search and Rescue Unit, Get Lost!

www.westrowops.co.uk

RE: Multiple Lookups

Begin postcard:
    Yes, if you are referring to a query against multiple fields. This can be as simple as getting the search string from the user, and presenting a checkbox list of searchable fields. Depending on which boxes are checked, the query expression built by the script will vary from search to search. By the way, calling these queries 'lookups' will cause confusion, since the table lookup field rule is apt to be mistaken for what you are talking about.
    End postcard.

Comment

RE: Multiple Query Values

The trouble is the user will not know which field the target value is in, so a query on the 4 fields mentioned will have to be standard. Say for example the user enters 15 target values into a search table, how do I then get the query to look for ALL 15 values in one search of the LOGFILE table using the above search table?

the query filter I have been using for SINGLE target values is:

query.filter="identity=target.id .OR. as=target.id .OR. false_Id=target_ID .OR. containsi(Old_Id,target.Id)"
      --

www.westrowops.co.uk

Comment

I once had a database in Q&A for tracking production. In the database there were 6 fields for employee's that may have worked on the production being recorded. Today employee #67 could be in the #1 field, tomorrow, #67 could be in the #3 spot. To search for all production that employee #67 worked on I would have to search all 6 fields in all records, which would mean I would have to type the search spec in all 6 fields.

I solved this by adding one field, a calculated field that would be a character string of all employee number fields. So if employee in the first spot was #67, the second spot was #112, and the third spot was #84, then the added calculated field would read 67-112-84-. In A5 the search for employee number 67 would be *67*, it would only be needed in the one field, and it would return all records that employee #67 worked on.

Additionally, I have come to find that A5 has another neat feature. It can perform Query's on Calculated Display Fields. So in all reality, you don't even need to add a field to your table to do this. Simply create a calculated display field on your form such as what I described above and you'll be able to search all records for what you're looking for.

If you do this, be sure to unclick the "disable" button on the setup tab in the calc display's field properties box.

Let me know if this works for you.

Mike
        Thank you,
        Mike Konoff

Comment

Graham, please clarify. If the user enters 15 search keys, do you want the search to fail unless all 15 are found in a single field?

Do you want the search to succeed if any of the 15 keys are found in any of the 4 available fields?

-- tom

Comment

to clarify, search to succed if it finds value in ANY of the fields.
            --

www.westrowops.co.uk

Comment

Sorry to be dense. But what does

if it finds value in ANY of the fields

mean?

Are you trying to search 4 fields for any of 15 discrete values?

Are you running 15 searches, each of which must run against 4 fields?

Are you trying to search 4 fields for any field that contain (by itself) all 15 values?

-- tom

Comment

I am running 15 searches, each of which must run against the 4 fields?.
                --

www.westrowops.co.uk

Comment

I think I may have been confusing myself and you!
                  The Parent form is "Logfile Prod"
                  on the forms right-click-menu is option "Multiple Record query", this invokes form "Multiple Targets".
                  This form has 2 buttons, 1) "Close" and 2) "Search" which invokes following script:
                  ''XBasic
                  logfile=table.open("logfile")
                  multi =table.get("multi_query")
                  multi.fetch_first()
                  while .not. multi.fetch_eof()
                  query.filter="identity="+multi.target
                  +".or.as="+multi.target
                  +".or.false_id="
                  +multi.target
                  +"containsi(old_id,"+multi.target+")"
                  idx=logfile.query_create
                  multi.fetch_next()
                  end while
                  :Logfile_Prod.Resynch()
                  :Logfile_Prod.Activate()

I THINK its creating the query OK now, but I cannot get the "Logfile Prod" form to resynch to the query table.
                  --

www.westrowops.co.uk

Comment

Graham,

when you use a script like this to run successive (consecutive) queries I believe the expression in 'query.filter' is replaced in each cycle. I don't think you can walk through a series of consecutive xbasic queries gradually winnowing down the result set if you overwrite the value of 'query.filter' on each pass. Instead, assuming your filter expression is ok, this script should return the last query's result set. If there are 15 entries in the log file, this script would return the result set of the 15th item only. -- tom

Comment

Maybe this will help.

(Note: I've used an incorrect line continuation character in this script,
                      but did so for clarity on this board.)

' assume table with 2 fields called field1 and field2
                      ' assume you want to query the table to find each record
                      ' where any of three possible char string values are present in either
                      ' field1 or field2

' here's how the query would be expressed in xbasic:

tbl = table.open(tablename)
                      query.filter = "(field1 = 'value1' .or. _
                      field1 = 'value2' .or. field1 = 'value3' .or. _
                      field2 = 'value1' .or. _
                      field2 = 'value2' .or. field2 = 'value3'"
                      idx = tbl.query_create()
                      recs = idx.records_get()
                      trace.writeln("Result set has "+ltrim(str(recs))+" records")
                      idx.drop()
                      tbl.close()

Comment

You were right, the script did the search in 15 passes! but I then had 15 temporary queries to look through, not the result I need.
                        so next I tried concatenating the input records into one long query filter and tried this:
                        ''XBasic
                        logfile=table.open("logfile")
                        multi =table.get("multi query")
                        multi.fetch_first()
                        query_filter=""
                        while .not. multi.fetch_eof()
                        if multi.target "" then
                        query_filter=query_filter+"identity="+chr(34)+ut(multi.target)+chr(34)
                        query_filter=query_filter+".or.as="+chr(34)+ut(multi.target)+chr(34)
                        query_filter=query_filter+".or.false_id="+chr(34)+ut(multi.target)+chr(34)
                        query_filter=query_filter+".or.containsi(old_id,"+chr(34)+ut(multi.target)+chr(34)+")"
                        query_filter=query_filter+".or."
                        end if
                        multi.fetch_next()
                        end while
                        query_filter=left(ut(query_filter),len(ut(query_filter))-4)
                        query.filter=query_filter
                        idx=logfile.query_create()

This worked but only upto a maximum of 11 records in the multi_query table. Any suggestions
                        --

www.westrowops.co.uk

Comment

If the target values are unique you might build a long string consisting of the concatenated values of all target strings. Then you might use &Any or $ to see if the current field value is found anywhere within the longer string of concatenated values.

something like
                          query.filter = "(*ANY(concatenatedtargetsstring,trim(field1)) .or. (*any(concatenantedtargetsstring,trim(field2)) .or. (*ANY(concatenatedtargetsstring,trim(field3)) .or. (*ANY(concatenatedtargetsstring,trim(field4))"

*ANY is case sensitive

-- tom

Comment

To avoid problems caused by juxtaposed strings inside the concatenated target string, you would simply pad each value with a hard underscore.

Instead of a string like this
                            abcdefghijkl

You'd get
                            abc_de_fgh_jk_l_mno

etc.

Comment

This is my latest effort, but I cannot see the error in the query.filter expression. Can you see if you can spot it?

''XBasic
                              dim q1 as c
                              dim q2 as c
                              dim qf as c
                              l=table.open("logfile")
                              m =table.get("multi query")
                              '' create concatenated fields
                              m.fetch_first()
                              while .not. m.fetch_eof()
                              if m.target "" then
                              ''q1 for the single value fields IDENTITY, AS & FALSE_ID
                              q1 = q1+ut(m.target)+","
                              ''q2 for the OLD_ID field which contains a history of all
                              '' Identities associated with this record
                              '' format being "xxxxxx,YYYYYY,zzzzzz,....."
                              q2 = q2+"containsi(old_id,"+chr(34)+ut(m.target)+chr(34)+").or."
                              end if
                              m.fetch_next()
                              end while

q1=left(q1,len(q1)-1) '' remove comma at end of field
                              q2=left(q2,len(q2)-4) '' remove ".or." from end of field

'' set query filter expression

qf="*ANY("+chr(34)+q1+chr(34)+",trim(identity)).or.*any("+chr(34)+q1+chr(34)+",trim(as)).or.*any("+chr(34)+q1+chr(34)+",trim(false_id))"
                              qf=ut(qf+".or."+q2)
                              trace.writeln(qf)
                              query.options="N"
                              query.filter=qf
                              idx=l.query_create()
                              num=idx.records_get()
                              ''
                              trace.writeln("number of matches = "+ut(str(num)))

TIA
                              --

www.westrowops.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                              X