Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Posting between tables in set

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Posting between tables in set

I read somewhere that there may be problems when posting between tables opened in a set. What has been the experience out there so far?

RE: Posting between tables in set

Greg, I'm not sure I understand your question.

Learning how to pass information from one form to another, and back again is an essential skill that requires some work to master.

Learning how to enter or change records in tables other than those which are opened when a form opens is also necessary.

For me the key to understanding xbasic was realizing that multiple instances of a single table can be open at any one time. When a form opens, its underlying table is opened automatically. If I put a button script on the same form to 'open' the form's table a second 'instance' of the table is loaded. It has its own record pointer and can be manipulated independently of what is displayed on the form. In this manner it's easy to enter or change records 'behind the scenes', and when the work is done, the form's display can be updated with a resynch.

Xbasic is also flexible enough to permit you to write scripts which manipulate the values in controls on your forms, themselves. When saved, these values are automatically stored in the form's underlying table.

So, you have the best of both worlds. You can write to the table 'through the form' by manipulating the objects on your form. Or, you can write to the table 'behind the scenes' by manipulating fields in the table and then refresh or resynch the objects on the form. Learning to do both carries you a long way up the learning curve with Alpha Five.

-- tom

Comment

The warning came from one of Dr. Wayne's on his board about creating your own posting rules. I have a set made up of a parent(Sales_orders) 1:N to (sales_ord_detail) and 1:N to (Invoices). (Invoices) has a 1:N to (Invoice_detail). Sales orders are entered into the (sales_orders=>sales_ord_detail) part of the set. We need to structure things this way because we tend to invoice only when we send inventory out so we frequently prepare more than one invoice for every sales order. When it comes time to invoice The user flags a field on the (sales_ord_detail) table for every item he wants to invoice for. Then he presses a button that first creates a new record in the (Invoices) table and then posts...(damn! here is where I got my terminology wrong! Appends...It should be appends...... the flagged (sales_ord_detail) to the (Invoice_detail)table. Then it updates each of these records with an invoice number. This is all done amoung the set tables. Although it works I get paranoid about the unknown and Dr. Waynes' article spooked me. Thanks for the reply it really clarified a bunch of things for me regarding table instances.

Comment

Greg:

I will be interested to read others' comments, but I don't think you have to worry. My recollection of the warning is that it refers to posting rules defined in field rules where the tables are also linked together in a set. In such situations it is easy to generate cirularities and interactions among the multiple linkages involved.

Bill
        Bill Hanigsberg

Comment

The problem, as Bill pointed out, occurred with posting rules
          defined for a table referring to another table in the set.
          These rules do not always work the way you expect them
          to work. Alpha Software apparently did not design posting rules to
          work within sets. Doing what Greg wants to do is not a problem.

Comment

Working...
          X