Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Triplicate Orders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Triplicate Orders

I've been asked to resdesign for laser printing an existing printout for work orders. These are currently done in triplicate on tri colored paper on a dot matrix printer.

They would prefer to keep the triplicate, three color scheme for each work order.

Has anyone dealt with this problem before? Any help would be appreciated.

Dorothy Wasserman

RE: Triplicate Orders

Sounds interesting. If you're not changing paper stock, how the heck is the laser printer going to make an impression on the second and third copies of each sheet?

I must be missing something obvious. Pay no attention.

-- tom

Comment

Sorry Tom, I should have been clearer.

Of course we need to change paper stock, but that is exactly the problem. Is there a source for three colored laser paper? And even if there is, how do you deal with a paper jam...

So I'm thinking of running the work orders as a batch job. And repeating this batch job twice more, each time making sure the paper color has been changed.

Am I thinking in the right direction? Has anyone else been faced with this kind of changeover? How have you dealt with it.

TIA

Dorothy

Comment

How about printing it once with the laser and then make copies with a copier? Printer or copier, you have to change the paper. With a copier, paper jambs gave no effect as there is no printing sequence to get out of wack.

Now... tell me they don't have a copier. But...that's how we handle it.

kenn
        TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

Boy, does this seem to be going backwards. Let's see, now we print one time and separate the copies and they're on their way. In the future we want to print one time and copy two and then put them back together or we want to print them 3 times, put them in piles and then colate the piles. Then we can finally send them on their way. I don't know, this doesn't sound like progress to me. Impact printers are still made because they are still the best at some things. I hope you get lots of money for turning their fairly efficient process into an unweildy nightmare.

Comment

Dorothy,
            I'm not sure that any of this will work, but you could try a few things.
            1) If the work orders aren't longer than one page, preload the paper Red,Yellow and blue into a single stack (this will be a little work).Then print 3 copies of the work order. Same work order 3 times. You might be able to define a windows printer with 3 copies as the default setting of that printer. This could get wierd if there is a jam.
            2) You might be able to do something of the same thing with paper loaded into different bins. Define 3 windows printer with 3 default bins according to color, define 3 reports with specified printers (bins) and print a single work order 3 times.
            Good Luck,
            John

Comment

From the sublime to the ridiculous, I have a client that wanted to do the same thing. They bought a colour laser printer and printed each copy in a different colour. This did mean three separate identical reports being set up. This has worked extremely well for them, but not necessarily something I would always recommend. I hope this information is useful.

Chris
              If It Works First Time, There's Something Wrong!!!

Comment

Thank you all for your suggestions. It will help in presenting the options to the client.

Dorothy

Comment

Just another thought to add:
                  Why not print the report three times, all on the same color paper. Just have the footer read "For Accounting" on page 1, and on page 2 have the footer read "For Customer", and on page 3 the footer reads "For Sales", or whatever needs to be printed. For that matter you could have the footer read, "Yellow Copy", "White Copy", "Pink Copy".

Just a thought.
                  Dan
                  Dan

Dan Blank builds Databases

Comment

Hi Dan,

Thanks. I'll add that option at the presentation.

It's also been suggested that the colored papers be preprinted with the info: For Sales, etc. so that they can have both the message and color.

Impact printing sure has it's place. But they want to go laser!

Dorothy

Comment

I ran into this same problem with my company. I have decided to just print the report three times to the laser printer (you can generate a very nice looking invoice). Time is expensive. Therefore, I thought of the idea that was mentioned in another thread about putting info on the footer of the invoice. However that means REGENERATING the report 3 times. My invoices, packing slips can be as many as 6 pages long. I can't afford to wait around. I enter the number of copies I need using the printer setup screen. I found it to be faster.

Preloading colored paper is a NIGHTMARE.....don't do it.

There is problems with the pages getting mixed up. But the girls are becoming accustomed to the problems that can occur and a being more careful...

Comment

Hi Dorothy,

Just to make it clear, a laser printer, ink jet and any other Non-Impact printing technology can not make 3 copies simultaneously (ala carbon paper).

You can potentially have 3 different paper bins (on expensive laser printers) feeding 3 separate color paper stock.

This could be collated by printing a single record to three separate printer definitions (all the same except for the bin to print from), then looping through the records. Alternately, you can print all records for 1 color, then repeat the next two, and then colllate

Finally, you could just have 3 separate printers as well.

Another method would be to precollate the different color papers, then print 3 copies of each record from 1 laser printer.

Regards,

Ira J. Perlow
                        Computer Systems Design & Associates
                        [email protected]
                        Regards,

Ira J. Perlow
                        Computer Systems Design

CSDA A5 Products
                        New - Free CSDA DiagInfo - v1.39, 30 Apr 2013
                        CSDA Barcode Functions

CSDA Code Utility
                        CSDA Screen Capture

Comment

Hi Phillip and Ira

The work orders are only one page long.
                          It seems I need to have them choose which nightmare they can live with.
                          Precollating the colored papers would only produce utter confusion if there should be ( and there will be ) a paper jam. So that's out.

The more I think of how "the flow goes", these work orders don't need to be collated at all - each copy goes to a different department anyway. So printing three separate times or to three separate bins each with a different color paper seems not so daunting and might actually facilitate "the flow".

Thanks for helping me think this out. Y'all make this message board a living treasure.

Dorothy

Comment

Just to add an afterthought ... we have found that getting A5 to work consistently with multiple tray printers can be a pain. If you use just a single printer driver, allowing the user to select one of say three trays, when the user makes a tray selection that selection "sticks", the next print job doesn't pop up the option to select the tray and subsequent jobs all go to the last selected tray. You can work around this by installing additional printer drivers each configured with a single tray, but it's ugly and confusing to users.

Finian
                            Finian

Comment

One more idea...you can purchase cheap laser printers for $300~$500. So, why don't you put a cheap laser in each department and print three times...once to each printer. The department can choose whatever color they want and you don't have to worry about colating or bins or whatever.
                              Pat Bremkamp
                              MindKicks Consulting

Comment

Working...
                              X