Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

A5 and Win2000 Experiences

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A5 and Win2000 Experiences

Am running 50 users on a Novell network with a mix of Win95 and Win 98
    I am considering changing work-stations to Win 2000 I am curious if anyone has had experiences Good or Bad Performance issues ?

RE: A5 and Win2000 Experiences

If this helps any, A5v5 and A5v4.5 are both being primarily developed under Windows 2000. My experience has been that Windows 2000 Pro is definately MUCH more stable than any other release of Windows and that stablity has worked its way down into A5.

- Aaron Brown
    Aaron Brown
    Alpha Software Development Team

Comment

Thanks I think I will try it a few users at a time

Comment

I'm guessing that the Win 2000 machines used for development are fairly new. I've seen an installation of Win 2000 on a lab of older hardware that suffers real stability problems. I'm guessing it was simply installed over an existing Win 95 or Win 98 setup rather than a clean install, but I don't know for sure.

Comment

The preferred way to install Windows 2000 is definately as a clean install...it is notorious for causing trouble when "upgraded" from a non-NT based environment (95, 98, ME).

I have been working at Alpha for about a year now and have been developing A5 using Windows 2000. Other members of the A5 development team also develop A5 primarily on 2000.

Gary, it is always a good idea to only upgrade a few users at a time. Mass upgrades almost certainly lead to tons of support hastles, regardless of what software package you are dealing with (Why don't all my programs show up in the start menu!? Why do I have to hit CTRL-ALT-DEL...why? why? fix it!). I worked in a large business doing Network Admin/Tech support during a large software/hardware upgrade and remember all the little problems that had to be worked out due to the users' unfamiliarity with the new software.

Good luck with the upgrade!

-- Aaron
          Aaron Brown

Comment

My brother-in-law is the CIO (chief information officer) for Whitehall Jewelers, which means he's in charge of computer operations for over 325 national stores and their POS systems, internal accounting, etc., and all other corporate operations, including the many salespeople who work on the road and have to log in to the network while traveling.

We talked about this very issue last night since I'm considering switching to a Novell Server instead of a win95/98 peer-to-peer network like I have. I asked him what he thought about Novell & WinNT/2000. They use a mixture of a number of different servers, software, and platforms including Novell & WinNT.

This is his reply.

They schedule a reboot of WinNT Servers "weekly" to make sure they don't run into any problems, as is normally the case. He cannot recall the last time that had to reboot their Novell Servers due to their reliable operation. He said it's been at least a number of "months" since they last had to reboot their Novell Server.

There's posts in here too by Selwyn indicating Alpha has run A5 on both WinNT & Novell and Novell is superior.

I for one will make my move to Novell.

Mike
            Thank you,
            Mike Konoff

Comment

I was referring to Windows 2000 Professional, not Win2000 Server, which I have very little experience with. Novell is a great product but, unfortunately, is dying. I would be very hesitant to do a new install of Novell in any environment (I too come from a Network Admin background, working as the Network Administrator of a multinational company with over 2000 employees). Novell as a company may not last, and the word is that the newest versions of Novell are difficult to administer and NOT very stable.
              Aaron Brown

Comment

Working...
              X