Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Quickbooks link for accounting with A5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quickbooks link for accounting with A5

A lot of people, including myself, have wanted a link to outside accounting packages so we don't have to reinvent the wheel. This link might be a solution, as Intuit is apparently opening their api's. I wonder if Alpha would be interested in writing a linking applet for A5 to Quickbooks and selling it as an add on. I know I would pay for it.

Russ

http://www.zdnet.com/anchordesk/stories/story/0,10738,2684893,00.html

RE: Quickbooks link for accounting with A5

I'm easy...I'd pay also.

Tom

Comment

When Quickbooks allows access by api calls, I'm sure someone will come out with a add on package for v5. Opening up Quickbooks would be good for all of us.

Nick
      dbd

Comment

v5 buries the competition. If the links were added to v5 (especially since it's to be released in the near future(?) ) it would but Alphs way ahead of the competition in this area as well. Market share would no doubt increase substantially. This is the kind of timing marketers dreams of. Having built-in links to Quicken would be one of the final nails in the competions' coffin.

Comment

Hey - this would make my day! What does it take to write one of these things? Who would be in a position to do it? How much money would be needed? Where do we sign up?

Comment

Hi Stephen,

I'd consider writing it, but while I do use QuickBooks, my distaste for it is immense.

Unlike Quicken, QuickBooks is pretty awful in so many respects. I'd rather have an Alpha application that does similar functions but with a lot more usability.

But there is only so much time in the day....

Regards,

Ira J. Perlow
            Computer Systems Design & Associates
            [email protected]
            Regards,

Ira J. Perlow
            Computer Systems Design

CSDA A5 Products
            New - Free CSDA DiagInfo - v1.39, 30 Apr 2013
            CSDA Barcode Functions

CSDA Code Utility
            CSDA Screen Capture

Comment

YES, YES, YES, YES, Give us a link and we can make it happen! As much as it pains me to deal with Quick Books there is, in all honesty no denying it pace in the business world and it is here to stay. Let's deal with it now and be done with it. I would be the first one to open my checkbood to purchase any easy link. Even if A5 offered a prewritten accounting package it would take years to catch up with Quick Books and then you will never get current QB users to switch after they have years of data successfully stored in it. I myself have 12 years of data in QB and would not consider taking an accounting task.
              Jeff

Comment

Ira -
                I also dislike Quickbooks. But it has captured the market big time, and a great many businesses that I would like to sell my application to already have it. I (we, Alpha) are only small fry and can't expect half the market to change step for us.. even if they are poor lost souls! Ooops - did you say you used it?

I checked out Intuits web site and it seems they are offering a qbXML beta for developers and it will not be available until the next version of Quickbooks. I imagine this would require the power of version 5 at the least, and would become more comfortably available in version 6 which is supposed to have more web capability.

I am pushing my personal envelopes here, but this sounds like it is NOT dynamic linking of live data. Wouldn't XML act as a kind of posting operation, either getting or sending data between the programs? Hence, there would be TWO sets of data - one in Alpha Five and one in Quickbooks - and so the possibility of discrepancies arises, a prospect guaranteed to have Murphy smiling broadly! One would need a method of reconciliation to trap those discrepancies... lord knows how you would correct them.

I will guess the difference between this and IIF files is simply qbXML can do the interchange record by record, while IIF does it more as a batch process. The main advantage will be the application developer will not have to rely on the user to click a button to swap data. The whole interchange will be much slicker and quicker, while the jagged rocks of broken integrity loom hungrily below. I have had small struggles with database information getting out of synch between tables. The prospect of jumbling data between programs seems very scary...

And while this would then allow semi - live interchanges, with shared operation on a network, I think I will back off and watch from the sidelines for a while. Those slippery slopes look a little too steep for me...

Now please know I don't know what the hell I am talking about - I can hardly write the HTML code to make a bold font on this message board, let alone understand XML, let alone an XML interchange. So anyone care to comment on my supspicions with respect to this new avenue to adventure?

Comment

How about if somebody approaches QuickBooks to write their next release using Alpha Five Version Five?????
                  Thank you,
                  Mike Konoff

Comment

Mike -
                    you must really hate Selwyn, Richard, Cian et al., that's a HORRIBLE idea!

Comment

Steve,

"...while the jagged rocks of broken integrity loom hungrily below...."

Hungry rocks; there's an exuberant metaphor!

Keep it up,
                      Bill
                      Bill Hanigsberg

Comment

Stephan...why would that be a "HORRIBLE" idea?
                        Thank you,
                        Mike Konoff

Comment

I thought the only way for one to show disrespect to the Rabins was to indicate an extreme dislike for the South African Springboks with and fervent love for the New Zealand ALL BLACKS.

Bob Sullivan

Comment

Let me spell it out...

Intuit is a HUGE enterprise with the enviable claim to have stood up to Microsoft and won. Their business is tracking money. They are moving aggresively to dominate the financial internet market. They will likely prevail.

Alpha Software is a small company with a very loyal and dedicated staff and client base and a powerful database tool for those in the know, with tremendously flexible capabilities. Their business is to produce a tool for unique database solutions. I am not sure if it is for developers or non-programmers - these things are a little fuzzy.

Selwyn, Richard and Cian have spent years doing this and have friendships and relationships and a promising future with an excited client base.

If Intuit were to fulfill their goals on an Alpha Five platform they would be deluged with the needs of delivering on strongman marketing promises and the whole client base of Alpha Software would be abandoned, and the legitimate market of unique database solutions would go begging. Worse, while Selwyn might make some money I doubt he would have any fun. Certainly he would lose a lot of friends, and would probably lose his business.

Am I wrong?

Comment

Stephen,

For the sake of conversation, let's say that I developed an accounting application for my business using Alpha Five. Let's say that it was a good accounting application. Let's say that that it was so good I decided to start selling the application for use by others. Let's also say that it was so good I began selling millions of copies each year. Now I'm not real sure how the runtime version works, so let's just say that with each sale of my accounting application I sold them one copy of Alpha Five, thereby selling millions of copies of my accounting app. and millions of copies of Alpha Five each year.

Somehow, I gather that based on you prior comments, that would be a bad thing because of the volume of sales to one entity.

Am I wrong?

Mike
                              Thank you,
                              Mike Konoff

Comment

Working...
                              X