Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

A question of automation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A question of automation?

I consider myself to be an end user who has created several databases within Alpha (4 & 5) using the excellent front end that Alpha offers. However the true limitations in my knowledge are now surfacing!

I have a sports dbf which includes a table called "fixtures" which contains details of all games that are scheduled. I have a report attached to that table which generates a confirmation form that is sent out to the relevant team confirming its schedule for the season. The report uses a variable placed on a form to select the year in question and then 2 ASK variables requesting the code number for the team in question. It then filters for matches for that year and for where the teamcode matches the home team code and away team code. The resulting games are then sorted into date order.

This works fine except for the fact that it is labour intensive (or should that be "labor"!!) as each report for each team has to be manually created.

I am trying to figure out how to automate this so that I can print out each report for each team from one button click? My knowledge of xbasic is limited (but improving!)

Any help would be gratefully received.

Regards

Glen Schild
    Glen Schild

My Blog

RE: A question of automation?

Glen:
    If your database isn't to large or maybe copy you application and just put in a few records.
    Zip up your files and post them on the board and some one could help you.
    One report grouped by team and page break on team might work.
    Charlie Crimmel

Comment

Charlie:

Have made a copy of the dbf and stripped most out of it. Changed the boot form to the one that is relavent and coloured the button magenta that fires up the confirmation form. You are asked to enter the team code twice. Use 41 for the example and you will see a preview of the form.

Hope this makes sense!

Regards

Glen
      Glen Schild

My Blog

Comment

Glen,
        I assume that you have a single record for each scheduled game with a home team and an away team and you want to print a batch report for the schedule for all or many teams at the same time and can't.

This might work:
        Create a dupe of the "fixtures" table. This will be a temporary report printing table. Add a field on the new table called "teamsort". At printing time zap the table and do two appends into the table. On the first append populate the "teamsort" field with the home team. On the second append populate the the "teamsort" field with the away team. Now you can print a batch report, grouped by "teamsort" in date order. The zap and appends will be on a single button followed by the report commands.

Good luck

John

Comment

Glen, John's idea works fine. Here's a working example.

Unzip the attachment in a separate folder, do not mix it with your development materials.

The temp table is called ForFixtConfirms.Dbf

The button on the form runs three operations:
          1) zaps the temp table
          2) appends the home team schedules, HomeCode values stored also in new TeamCode field
          3) appends the away team schedules, AwayCode values stored also in new TeamCode field

The report is basically the same as you designed except:

1) inserted group break based on 'TeamCode'

2) revised 3 calculated fields to eliminate the ask_ vars and substitute comparisons based on new TeamCode values...

Let me know if you have any questions.

-- tom

Comment

Guys:

As always thanks for the prompt and helpful responses. Am about to download the examples and "Play"!!!

Regards

Glen
            Glen Schild

My Blog

Comment

Glen, did you get it working ok?

Comment

Tom:

Yes thanks to the help of all, I know can produce all forms or just one selected from a very elegant list (thanks Charlie) all from just one button.

As ever the learning process continues thanks to the great help that everyone provides. I know of no other software product that has this type and level of support. Long may it continue!

Regards

Glen
                Glen Schild

My Blog

Comment

Oops forgot to finish the previous note!

Tom and John, I have to say that the concept of creating another table just for producing one report had not even crossed my mind!( even further proof that I am an end user!)But having now seen it and used it I have immediately thought of so many other situations in the applications that I use to take the databases up to the "next level".

Thanks guys!
                  Glen Schild

My Blog

Comment

I'm glad you got it going.

The use of intermediate or temporary tables for a report is useful in at least two general situations:

1) where you need values from multiple tables which cannot be easily related using a set; and

2) where you need to 'split' individual records so that field values from the same record can appear in different groups in the same report. This was your case with the Fixtures table. Each record contained information on a 'game'. This included information on the 'home' team, and information on the 'away' team. Your report needed to group the schedule information based on the team 'identifier' whether it fell in the 'home' field or the 'away' field.

Comment

A lesson well learnt!

Regards

Glen
                      Glen Schild

My Blog

Comment

Working...
                      X