Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

No such field

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No such field

I have 3 PC's working on a network with A5v4.03. I have had a huge amount of data to input recently and have been experiencing crashes more than normal. I have had problems with the indexes and have taken advice from the forum and re-built them. Laterly the indexes have dissappeared altogether and I have had to re-input them. Last night I downloaded the latest patch 230 build.

Today we had a major crash and fortunately I had backed up and was eventually able to restore the files.

However, I cannot now action any of my saved queries from Operations. I keep getting "no such field" I know this happened to me once before and I suspect it was when I downloaded Build 230.

I have tried creating new queries in operations and query by table in the database but I still get the same message.

Can anybody help............Please?

p.s. I was running Nortons Systemworks 2000 and have removed it from all of my machines.

RE: No such field

Linda,
    A few things to start off with:
    1) Don't throw away your backup.
    2) If you have a peer to peer network, get on the machine where the data resides. Shut down machine and turn back on.
    3) Go to Alpha and open your database.Try doing a "compact database". This will pack, reindex tables and rebuild dictionaries.
    4) Close database - Close Alpha and reopen them both
    4) After compact is done try to do a new query on a table from operations. Make it simple: eg CUST# = "100". If it works things may be getting better then try to run other saved queries.
    Let the board know if this helps or not. I'm sure others will have ideas.
    By the way, is this an app that has been running well for a long time? Have you done any recent changes to it? Have any of the machines been having problems on the network in other apps?

Good Luck:

Comment

Thanks for your reply John.

This is all quite new to me as I did not create the database. I cannot find how to "compact database". From the forum I gather it's different from packing but I cannot find any reference to it under help or in the manual.

This application has been running very well for a long time but the problems have arising since three PC's have been trying to input a large amount of data.

We started by getting "cannot add key to tag" which seemed to be sorted by re-building indexes and then we lost all the indexes and I re-wrote them and now..........

Thanks

Comment

Linda,
        While the application is open, click on "File" top left. One of the drop down choices will be "Compact Database".

After that has been completed, try the queries again.

A couple of questions:
        1) Is everyone basically working on the same file at the same time?
        2) Are record deletions allowed and if so are the users frequently deleting records?
        3) Are there a lot of filters in the indexes that you had to manually recreate?

You can do a search in this forum for "indexes that just dissappear". You will see discussions on some of what you are talking about. Sounds like this has been dumped in your lap, and you might consider getting an outside consultant to give you a hand.

By the way, your index files have an extension of "CDX". Back them up to a folder. If something happens again, you can restore them and do the "Compact Database" and avoid having to re-enter the indexes again.

Good Luck

Comment

Hi John

Well I found how to compact the database (which I have now done) Unfortunately it hasn't helped.

I have discovered the field which it doesn't like and responds with "no such field".

But I am none the wiser on why it's happening or indeed how to solve the problem?

Any more ideas please?

Comment

Linda,

I saw that you had a similar problem in March. Selwyn had you rebuild your indexes. Since that was the end of the contact I assume the rebuild worked. The issue is probably your indexes which you manually re-entered. Try removing the index tags one by one. After each removal rebuild all indexes. After you remove the first one go try the query on that field. Make it simple (eg name = "john"). If the query works you probably have found the problem in the index.

The bigger issue is what is causing the corruption. If you get the query working, I don't think that is the end of your problems. The increased activity you talked about adds a dimension to your application that may continue to give you the same problems. I made a few suggestions in my last message that I still think you should consider. There is a lot of information on this board that you can search on, but if you're not comfortable with making changes to the way the application works, outside help may be the answer.

Good Luck

Comment

Another place to look for the cause of the problem is to determine how your PC's have been maintained.
              1) stop using autoload programs
              2) run scan disk on all computers
              3) check for open files

Sometimes the crashes have nothing to do with A5. You will still have to do what has been requested previously in this thread.

I compress the data at least twice a week as usual maintenance.

Also increase the memory on the computer that has the application

Bob Sullivan

Comment

Working...
              X