Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Query Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Query Problems

I've just started using A5V4 on my major database which had been
    running on A4. Everything seems OK but I cannot get relatively
    simple queries to work.
    I want to select any record the "is not blank" in a variety of
    fields -- these are all OR's any of these fields being non-blank
    should select the record.
    1) If I use the query genie, it gives me an OR, but it uses the
    same field for both the first and second condition, thus the 2nd
    condition is defective.
    2) If I use the query card it makes both conditions AND even
    though I clearly put the 1st in the condition column and the 2nd
    in the OR column.

I've tried all sorts of combinations, none work.

I installed from the Version 4 CD and downloaded the Patch403.exe
    file on 6/12/00 and installed it. Tried installing it again.
    No change.

This seems like an obvious old problem that should have been fixed
    by the 403 update.
    Please help!

RE: Query Problems

Here's a simple solution using Query by Form:

Open QBF, go to the first field and type IS NOT BLANK. Now click on the NEXT button in the tool bar (to go to the next page of the query, which is the same as an OR function), and type IS NOT BLANK in the next field.

I think you got confused in the query card, because the OR column is meant for an OR condition for the same field. In order to get it to work as you want, you would have to put the entire expression, including the new field, in the OR column.

Here's what the script would look like:

tbl = table.current()
    query.description = ""
    query.order = ""
    query.filter = "(ISNOTBLANK("NAME").OR.ISNOTBLANK("CITY"))"
    query.options = "I"
    tbl.query_create()

Comment

Thanks for the QBF suggestion, that let me cobble something
      together. Problem is I have 17 fields that I want to OR for
      IS NOT BLANK.

The Query Card looked promising --
      The User's Guide on page 32 clearly shows examples of OR with
      different fields, each row is used for a separate field and the
      condition of each row is placed in a separate column.
      It doesn't work the way the book says.

The Genie doesn't work right either -- it allows selection of
      different fields for OR conditions, but it turns them all into
      the same field.

Comment

You are missing the point made by Bill Warner. In a single row you can reference a different field than that in the original field-expression field (far left ). As Bill said:

"In order to get it to work as you want, you would have to put the ENTIRE EXPRESSION,INCLUDING THE NEW FIELD, in the OR column." Your response to Bill indicates that you haven't gotten that yet.

The queries work, you just need to understand what Bill said. Suggestion: Get a query working with one "OR" only and then work up to what you want.

Comment

Also, check the discussion of using multiple forms to create OR conditions using multiple fields... its on pg 38 of the vers. 4 User's Guide.

-- tom

Comment

Jack, you might run into a problem with 17 fields. I have done OR expressions and found that they don't work with over 12 or so statements.

Here's a thought: Create a new field in the table called NOT_BLANK, make it character 25 or so long. Then, in field rules, make it a calc field whose expression is

LEFT(FIELD1,1)+LEFT(FIELD2,1)+...

This expression will give you the first character from each field. This way, if any of the fields has any data in it, the NOT_BLANK field will, too. Then you could do your query on this field.

If some of your fields are date or numeric, you would have to make the calc field accept them:

LEFT(LTRIM(STR(NUM_FIELD)),1) or
            LEFT(DTOC(DATE_FIELD),1)

I tried this with a few fields, and it worked fine. I don't know if you'll run into any problems with 17 fields. If so, you could always add a couple calc fields, and then query on each of these.

Comment

Working...
            X