Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

BACKUP ALPHA5 V.4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BACKUP ALPHA5 V.4

CAN AHYONE TELL ME HOW TO BACKUP MY FILES USING A5 V4 THANKS, PATRICK

RE: BACKUP ALPHA5 V.4

A5V4 is a windows program, so you can use the backup program in Windows 9_ or ME. Backup to your A drive or a Zip drive if the files are large.

Comment

thank you very much. I am a piano technician and updated files from old version and had lots of problems updateing from alpha 5 v 1. I am learning all over again. I have another question. Why cant we use ctrl F to search in browse like we can in form view? Patrick

Comment

I duno, Cause Alpha didn't program it? (humor) I can't do it either. Either Alpha didn't program it for a specific reason or simply overlooked it.

kenn
        TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

Thanks, I have been fighting that for 3 days. hehehehe
          Patrick

Comment

I prefer zipping my files as I back them up, to save space in the archive.

There an article at Dr. Wayne's www.learn alpha.com site that describes an approach to this. An Alpha Five script builds a DOS batch file, which when run, zips everything up and copies it to safety. Requires a zip utility to do the heavy lifting.

-- tom cone

Comment

To search from a browse using a form would require knowing WHICH form to use...The default is often unwieldy.
              In the form view the default "search by form" is the form in use.

You could define your browse as an embedded browse on a form, maybe on a tabbed object to show lots of browse, and then you would have both options.

Comment

Patrick,

It may be a picky point but:

Ctrl-F is for 'Find by Form' which, of course, only works in forms.

Ctrl-K is for 'Find by "index> Key' which works in both forms and browses.

My suspicion is that a 'Search by Form' from a browse table would be difficult because the browse table by definition holds multiple records. This might make it difficult to program. Besides, I personally would not like to have to scroll back and forth in a browse table to create a complex lookup. It's much easier for the user when all the necessary fields are on one screen.

In addition, being able to put all the fields anywhere on the screen (instead of all in one line) makes it more reasonable to put extra wide and/or word wrapped fields on the screen. Doing this allows the user to easily review complex searches to verify them before execution. For example, a standard zip code field would be just large enough to hold one zip code but a real estate company might want to select multiple zip codes for a special mailing list. It is much easier if they have a large zip code field on their search form. This is the reason I often create special 'Find by Form' forms - it makes it easier for the end user.

Having said all that, it would be nice if pressing Ctrl-F from the browse would automatically switch to the Find-by-Form form. (Typing that makes me feel like I'm stuttering!)

Comment

This has proven to be an extremely useful backup script for me. It uses PowerArchiver as the zip utility.
                  PowerArchiver is a freeware zip utility available at www.powerarchiver.com. It can span multiple disks, and is quite versatile.

This script WILL NOT WORK UNLESS
                  1. PowerArchciver is installed as per powerarchivers install program
                  2. You have a directory on the same drive as your application \backup

It does both backup and restore.

I have left in, but commented out, portions of the script that store the time of my last backup. You can modify or ignore this.

(I hope the backslashes appear correctly on this board - I just took the codes of Cal's post..)

''XBasic
                  'Script to Backup Orbit using PowerArchiver
                  'Requires Powerarchiver to be installed to C:\Program Files\PowerArchiver\POWERARC.EXE
                  'Available at www.powerarchiver.com as freeware as of creating this script
                  'Also requires you use \backup on the same drive as the application to store backup files.
                  'Sept 25 2000
                  'Stephen Williams

' Check can access PowerArchiver
                  PwrAchvr = "C:\Program Files\PowerArchiver\POWERARC.EXE"
                  if .NOT.file.exists(PwrAchvr)
                  ui_msg_box("Error","Cannot locate PowerArchiver at C:\Program Files\PowerArchiver\POWERARC.EXE"+CHR(13)+CHR(13)+"Please check PowerArchiver has been correctly installed."+CHR(13)+CHR(13)+"Backup Failed",UI_OK+UI_STOP_SYMBOL)
                  END
                  end if

'Get current path with open wildcard
                  cpath = :A5.Get_Path()
                  bpath = substr(cpath,1,2)+"\Backup" 'backup path is a directory on the same drive as app.

'Backup or Resore'''''I keep a record of the last backup, displayed in a text object on my start form
                  'b_tbl = Table.Open("Start.dbf")
                  'Lastb = "Last backup :"+b_tbl.backuptime
                  'b_tbl.Close()

'BorR = ui_get_list(Lastb,"Back up","Back up","Restore") ' I use this line as it shows the last backup date used
                  BorR = ui_get_list("Backup or Restore","Back up","Back up","Restore") ' This line lacks the Lastb variable (last backup)
                  SELECT
                  CASE BorR = "" ' Cancel selected
                  end

CASE BorR = "Restore" ' Restore, short and sweet
                  rok = ui_msg_box("WARNING!","Continuing will obliterate all the existing data!",UI_OK_CANCEL)
                  if rok = UI_CANCEL_SELECTED
                  END
                  end if
                  dir_put(bpath) 'look in backup folder
                  rfile = ui_get_file("Choose backup file to restore","*.zip")
                  If rfile = ""
                  end
                  end if
                  sys_shell(PwrAchvr+" -e "+rfile+" "+cpath,1)
                  dir_put(cpath) 'restore active directory to current path

CASE BorR = "Back up" ' Backup with options
                  Backf = bpath+"\B"+right(cdate(date()),6)+".ZIP" 'manufacture a file name based on date
                  if file.exists(Backf) 'Have already made a backup today
                  Getok = ui_get_list("Todays backup file already exists",1,"Update it","Replace it", "Make another",UI_OK_CANCEL+UI_ATTENTION_SYMBOL)
                  Select
                  Case Getok ="" ' selected Cancel
                  end
                  Case Getok = "Update it"
                  backopts = " -a -u"
                  sys_shell(PwrAchvr+backopts+" "+Backf+" "+cpath+"\*.*",1)
                  goto datestamp
                  Case Getok = "Replace it"
                  backopts = " -a"
                  goto datestamp
                  Case Getok = "Make another"
                  backf = ui_get_file("Backup to...",bpath+"\*.zip",backf)
                  if backf ="" 'Cancel selected
                  end
                  else
                  backopts = " -a"
                  goto datestamp
                  end if
                  end select
                  else 'Make todays backup
                  backf = ui_get_file("Make backup file","*.zip",backf)
                  if backf = ""
                  end
                  end if
                  backopts = " -a"
                  goto datestamp
                  end if

END SELECT

END

datestamp:'This updates my last backup
                  'b_tbl = Table.Open("Start.dbf")
                  'b_tbl.Change_Begin()
                  'b_tbl.backuptime = Time("MM/dd/yyyy h:m am")
                  'b_tbl.Change_End()
                  'b_tbl.Close()
                  END

Comment

Stephen,
                    For the last few months, I have been using 'Second Copy 2000'.

It is absolutely fabulous and very easy to use, you can even track deleted files!

It has so many options, which woiuld take to long to discuss here, but go to: http://www.centered.com

The price is $30 but they have a 30 evaluation.

More than worth it,
                    --Bob

Comment

I'll second that. I have beeen using Second Copy for about two years. The best thing about it is that you can copy entire directories - but ONLY the files that have changed. That makes it ideal for copying my 113MBs and growing database to and from work every weekend, since only the changed files are copied. Now if only the shadow copy could do the same!
                      Peter
                      AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
                      https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

I just downloaded a copy to look at. What appeals to me about PowerArchiver is you can distribute copies with your applications for free - so long as you credit PowerArchiver and do not charge for PowerArchiver. And it works very nicely opening a little window on top of the Alpha screen as it does its work. Looks and feels very professional.

Comment

Patrick,

Another excellent system for copying/archiving, etc. in WinRar at: www.rarsoft.com

It is a direct replacement for WinZip. I find it easy to use. Just select all the files in the folder and right-click to get the WinRar program. Tell it you want a self-extracting EXE and it's done.

--Bob

Comment

Patrick,
                            Just did a quick WinRar self extracting EXE of an Alpha program.

There were 70 Alpha files in the folder = 4.78 megs
                            Winrar self extracting file compressed the
                            above into one file 366KB.

Not bad, and your user doesn't need any additional program to unzip.
                            --Bob

Comment

Well then...

PowerArchiver compressed my contact demo folder from 1.98 MB to 304KB. It has 39 files. Not as good, maybe...BUT it also is a full replacement for winzip, runs right off the windows file explorer, zips, unzips does self extracts, and its free....

I never knew there were so many choices out there...

I trust a zip file is a zip file, or more to the point any of these animals (Winzip, WinRar, PowerArchiver etc) can uncrunch the products of the others???

Comment

Working...
                              X