Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Bold Won't Go Away!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bold Won't Go Away!

I created a report with the report genie and under Options, checked the Field's Bold check box. I later decided I didn't want the field text to be bold and clicked properties and unchecked Bold. Saved the changes. Ran the report and it's still bold. No matter how many times I uncheck the Bold in the field's properties and save the changes, it still reverts to bold when the report is run.

Either there is another place where Bold is over riding the change or could there be a bug?

How can I get the Bold to stay unchecked short of creating another report.

Thanks for the suggestion/s.

kenn
    TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

RE: Bold Won't Go Away!

Ken,

Not sure if this has anything to do with it, but
    with the report genie when you decided to bold the field text
    it may have set the properties to bold as a group. When you
    unchecked bold in properties were all the field objects selected?

If not, you might try it that way. If you did select all the fields &
    it didn't work, can't you delete the fields & drag them over again?

Comment

Ken,
      You might also try deleting the bold designation, save the layout and then compact the database. Maybe the old definition is hanging around and interfering.

Comment

I'll give it a try. I also created the report w/o using the Field's Bold check box. Same thing. It automaticly defaults the field's text to Bold.

Thanks,

Ken

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

Ken,

Could it be that the font you are using is corrupt, or that the registery entry
          for that font is mapped to a different font that is bold?

Comment

I've done some work with this but to no avail. I tried creating a report w/o the ginie and the same thing, the fields are automatic bold. THe default font is ariel and I haven't a clue how to tell if it's corrupt. Also don't know how to change the default fontfont. (Found no reference to this in Help) Also did a database compact.

Thanks for any suggestions,

kenn

Comment

Ken,

Try going to "view" menu & select "settings" then click on the "styles" & click
              on the "reports" radio button. From there you can change the font to something
              other than Arial & see if the report field data is still bold.

If after you have changed the font the field data is not bold, I would thing that
              your Arial font is mapped to another font or the same font but the bold version
              of it. You can try deleting the Arial font & reinstalling it. Then change the
              default font for reports back to Arial & check it again.

Comment

Doug,

This is interesting. I selected a different font and it worked as it should; no bold font. Then I dragged the Aerial font from the fonts folder to Mr Recycle. A copy of the Aerial font was left. Created a new report and Walla! no bold. Went back to Settings and discovered there are only 4 fonts left; currier, CG, letter gothic and universal. Yet all the fonts are in the fonts folder in the control panel.

I tried to restore the Aerial font but got the msg that it was already installed and would have to delete it before restoring. Haven't tried it yet. Thought I'd get your thoughts first.

Thanks,

kenn

Comment

Ken,
                  Code:
                  I am not certain, but if when you dragged the Arial font to the recycle bin
                  it left a copy in your font folder, then it sounds like Arial is use somewhere
                  in you Windows preferrences.  So if Arial is in memory it won't actually let
                  you delete it.

As for the rest, it sounds like you had several fonts that turned up missing
                  when you drug the Arial font back from the recycle bin. Is that correct?

My thoughts are that the fonts that turned up missing were fonts that somehow
                  got mapped to the Arial font in your registery.  You can check the status of
                  your fonts by selecting "run" from the task bars "Start" button.  In the command
                  line type regedit, this will load your registry into a window from there you can
                  do a search from the "Edit" menu option.... Type in arial & the search will return
                  each occurance of the string "arial" found in your registry.  Press F3 to find the 
                  next occurance.  

When you get to the location in your registry of the image below,
                  you "font mappings" you will probably see several fonts that are mapped 
                  to different fonts.  In my case I have Helvetica mapped to Arial.  I 
                  think that this happens because you at one time or another had that font
                  installed on your PC, but at some point it was removed.  So to prevent an
                  error in some software that used that font, the font that gets removed is
                  mapped to a font that is currently installed.......I think!
                  Code:
                  Further down your registry there is an entry that lists the currently installed
                  fonts. If you can get to there you can see which fonts are registered in Windows.
                  If this list doesn't match the list of fonts in your Windows control panel\fonts then you can assume that some of the fonts in control panel are 
                  no longer installed & re-install them.

Would have gotten back to you sooner.....been doing a little painting....
                  wanta help? :)

Comment

Helping you paint would have better than putting up firewood. "Oh my aching back!!"

OK, I checked out the regedit. The Arial font is mapped to the following fonts:
                    proportional font,
                    IEFontPropName
                    facename
                    classic_sans
                    font name;
                    Arial 13 is mapped to custom_facename;
                    Arial 10 is mapped to custom_facename;
                    Then there is an Arial font all by itself.

When I checked settings, and looked at the other selections (forms, labels, letters, cards etc), all the fonts are there. The fonts are only missing in the reports section. The question: Is it possible to restore the fonts to the reports section w/o reinstalling A5?

I think you are right about how things got mixed up. I had purchased the latest version of Norton Utilities and it screwed up things pretty good. When I uninstalled it (as per Symantec's instructions, ther were a couple fo fiels that it said were in use by other software but didn't say what they were. (pretty sneaky of Symantec)

Painting, eh? Must be warmer where you are than here.

kenn

Comment

Ken,

It seems a little unusual that the reports don't have access to
                      all of the fonts that are installed on your system, but you say that
                      the forms, letters...etc. do? Not sure what to tell you there.....

May be an issue to take up with Alpha Software customer support.
                      It is my understanding that if the font is "registered" that all
                      software on the computer can access the font!

Keep me posted on how things turn out....

BTW it was a sunny 68-72 today in CA....a beautiful day for anything
                      but painting :)

Comment

Doug,

Ever have a problem with your car and when you got it to mechanic, the problem couldn't be found? Yes, the fonts were missing from the report section. I even closed out A5 twice and rebooted. Now, it's 3am and one of those "can't sleep" nights so thought I hop on the keyboard and see what's up. Now the fonts are in the reports section and it works just fine. Go figure!!!!

Thanks for all your suggestions as what you suggested solved my problem. It just took the sscenic route.

68-72 eh!! Wait till the middle of December thru the 1st of March and tell me that. Having lived out there, that will really rub salt in my wound!

Thanks again,

kenn

Comment

Working...
                        X