Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

new record has memo field linked to last record

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new record has memo field linked to last record

I have been watching the threads concerning linked memo fields and other memo field issues for a while now, and have posted before. But still have not found a resolution to this problem. In my application, I have a button that opens a form and starts a new record. This form has 6 items on it: an auto increment number, a date field that is filled with todays date by default, a customer ID field that opens a menu based on a table, a customer name field that gets auto filled when I pick from the menu mentioned above, and a first and last name field that I just type in for a contact person. This is all part of a much larger form and table with many fields and quite a bit going on. There are quite a few memo fields in this app, but one in particular seems to be linked to this problem. This is what happens:

I pick the new record button, it opens the form, and fills the date and auto increment field and then pops open the menu to pick a customer ID. I select one and it fills the name as well and then goes into the first name box. MOST of the time it is blank, as it should be. But once in a while, the name from the previously made record appears in that box. If I then click into the last name box, the last name appears also from the previous record. At this point I usually cancel out and start over, usually to find the same thing. But if I save the record at that point, I find that the entire record has been duplicated.

Now comes the really weird part. I can overwrite all the fields in the record and not affect anything else EXCEPT one memo field. If I edit that field, the edit will take place in the record that was copied as well. And then if I go back and edit it there, the change takes place in the new one. I beleive they are not duplicates but the same memo, being referenced by two records. But it appears, at least at this point, that no other memo fields are being linked like this. I cannot get this to happen at will, and it always happens to someone else. Once I get it cleared, it might work fine for a week, or maybe only ten minutes, before it happens again.

And it is sometimes difficult to get the thing to stop wanting to link. The only sure way is to let it make that record, delete it, and then start over making a new one. But if I just cancel out, and try again, or exit A5 and re-open and try again, it will usually still want to link.

Can anyone shed a little more light on this? It is getting to be a real pain. Yes I know I should have avoided all those memo fields. But why have them if they don't work? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Todd

P.S. I can send files if anyone would like to see them. But like I said, you might spend a month getting it to do this.

RE: new record has memo field linked to last recor

Two suggestions, both admittedly long shots.

1) make sure your users are using the latest patch (build 230)

2) check for low windows resources when the error crops up. I don't use memo fields but I've had mismatched lookups, using values from previous records, occasionially and it always seems to happen on machines that are multi-tasking to the limit... indeed, beyond the limit. I get better results when the app is run by itself, or the user adds significant memory.

-- tom

Comment

Hello Todd,

I've seen what you are describing. It happens intermitantly and is hard to duplicate. I've posted questions on it in the past and corresponded with Alpha about it. The problem is, I can't get it to happen consistantly enought to 'prove' that it's a problem or to track down the problem. But, I've only seen this in child tables of a set. Are you seeing this in fields from a child table, or are these fields in the parent table?? Are you using the auto incremented field in the link definition between the parent and child records?? It is my suspicion that an autoincrement field used in the link definition may be contributing to the problems I've seen.

Jim

Comment

Acutally this app has no child tables at all. I did not originally design this, and would do it much different if done again, but it works great EXCEPT for this bug. Everything is in the parent table.

And regarding the other post, the machine has lots of memory and this app is the only one running when this happens sometimes. At other times more may be running, but still memory or swap space should not be an issue.

Todd

Comment

I think it can happen on rare occasions when you have 2 forms open that are each entering or editing new records with memo fields. It is more likely to happen in a network environment. If your users can create a second instance o the data entry form, then you should keep them from doing that. If that doesn't work you can use Xbasic to create a new record with empty memo fields, then move the form to the newly created record, put the form in change-only mode, and allow them to edit that form. That is, don't let th users enter new records interactively.

Comment

Acutally, none of those things seem to be involved here. When this happens, only one user is active in that form, and in fact he is the only one usually in that table at all. He can not edit the form, or add info to the table in any other matter. It is a very frustrating problem right now, as it seems to be happening much more frequently. I again checked it out, and when this happens, the entire record is copied over. But all the fields can be safely overwritten EXCEPT ONE. That one memo field is linked to more than one record. If I change it in the new record, it changes in the old as well. But that item is one of the last to be entered on the form. It does not have focus when the new record button is pushed, and I can't think of any other reason that it is doing this.

Todd

Comment

Todd, tell us more about the script which runs onPush for the new record button. Does it disable itself until the child process concludes? If not, is it possible that the user is actually pushing it twice in quick succession and confusing Alpha Five?

-- tom

Comment

Tom,
                No, it does not disable itself. Could that be it? I will make that change and see if it helps. I may have to look that up, but it seems it looks something like:

this.disable()

Thanks for the idea.

Todd

Comment

Yes, that's the right syntax for the first line in the onPush event for thebutton. Remember to add a 'this.enable()' at the end of the script, too. Otherwise the button remains disabled.

Let us know how things go. Good luck.

-- tom

Comment

Tom and others:

I added the disable and enable to the button. I was then unable to get it to fail, and tried many times. But when someone else tried later in the day, he got it to fail immediately. For some reason, this one person can get it to fail consistently. Now that the code is in there, I don't see how mouse button speed, double hitting the key, or whatever else, could be causing this. Thanks for the help though. I think that code on the button is a good idea anyway.

Is anyone at Alpha monitoring this thread? Any ideas from there?

Todd

Comment

Does this person use your workstation?

If not, what's different about his pc than yours?

On his pc
                      1) is his video driver up to date?
                      2) is his connection to your network identical to yours? (same drivers and protocols loaded? same mapping to the data folder? )

It's beginning to sound like a hardware issue to me. Especially if the problem cannot be duplicated elsewhere on your network.

-- tom

Comment

Working...
                      X