Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

using a previous query

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

using a previous query

I'm using Xbasic to create a query, after running the script the query is listed in the list that's viewed by pressing Ctrl+i keys, also i'm able to select the query. However I'm unable to use this query in t.query_primary_put(), error message "Invalid query specified". How can I use a previous run query in xbasic that was create using Xbasic.

In need of help,ideas,coffee & sleep.

Thanks
    Nick

RE: using a previous query

Ok! maybe I need to show a litte more detail.
    I created the query with
    Query.description="Helpme"
    query.order="Last_Name"
    Query.filter="last_name='mike'"
    t.query_create()

This part works fine. I want to use this query again by call it from anohter script that is ran in the same session. When I us Query_filter_get() or query_primary_put() I get the error I guess because its not a saved query, which brings me to a point of way cann't we choose to save queries created in xbasic. The query has a name assigned to Query.description which is "Help Me".
    Is there a way to us Query "Help Me" to filter the current table agian.

something like:
    vhelp=query_filter_get("help me")
    query.filter="'"+vhelp"'"
    t.query_create()
    or
    query_primary_put("Help Me")

If this cann't be done in version 4 and the only way to forces query in the second script is to run it again.

Please make it available in Version 5

Thanks for any suggestions.
    Nick

Comment

OUCH! I guess it had to happen some day. I asked a dumm question.

Comment

Not a dumb Question!

Nick -
        I am not able to help you as I hardly ever use queries, except as created by button genies etc. But you have NOT asked a dumb qustion! The answer to this one would be very useful. And I am sure this IS an answer...

Have you tried searching this board with the search tool?

Comment

Nick, I've never tried it but suppose you declare the pointer to your query as global? Can you access it from the other script?

Personally, I'd think long and hard about using an earlier query list, because it's likely to be out of date in any busy, networked office. Remember the query is just a snapshot list created when the query is formed. It does not get updated when the user (or other users in the office) make changes to the table.

-- tom

Comment

Tom & Stephen,
            First thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts on the matter.
            Stephen, Yes I searched the message board and found a lot about query but none specking about using it this way.

Tom, your thought on using a global pointer had not crossed my mind, I'll give that some thought. As far as the query be a snap shoot of the table at the time it was ran thats just what i need on a busy network.

I was hoping A5 had a function to handle this that I just didn't know about.

Thanks
            Nick

Comment

Nick:

I agree with Tom that trying to use a named query as an index can be quite tricky. Having said that, you can certainly do it.

If you do

t=table.open("tablename")
              query.filter="NamedQuery"
              t.query_create()
              t.close()

in one script, you can do

t=table.open("tablename")
              t.index_primary_put("NamedQuery")
              t.close()

in another and it will use the most recently created version of the NamedQuery index.

Finian
              Finian

Comment

Finian:
                Thanks for the example it's just what i needed.
                Maybe I can example what I'm doing.
                I have a form with 8 var fields that allow the user to select any are all 8 of the fields for the query. After the query is ran the user may print the info on a report or click a button to map the location of the customers in the query. When the mapping software opens it will autosort the customer info by distance and number each one accordingly. Then I read a log file created by the mapping program to renumber the customer in the query in my a5 table. Its at this point I what to inforce the prevouis query create so only the records sent to the mapping program are updated.

I hope this helps.
                Thanks again
                Nick

Comment

Working...
                X