Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Networks, Shadows, Forms & Indices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RE: Networks, Shadows, Forms & Indices

Peter Wayne wrote:
    -------------------------------
    I would copy down the index definitions and then delete the
    .cdx file for the table. Then recreate the indexes - which you can do from either a workstation or the server. Just for kicks,recreate the index froma workstation - make sure you are logged in to the server database and not the shadow. Finally, run network optimize again.
    Is there something peculiar about your index?

My Reply:
    -------------------------------

Believe it or not, the just for kicks idea seems to have worked. Here is a brief step by step of what I have done.

Closed A5 on the server
    Opened A5 on my client
    Opened Z:database for nti.adb
    Right Click table to define indexes
    Deleted the index (only one)
    Closed - replied yes to rebuild
    Closed database
    Opened database
    Right Click table to define indexes
    Defined my index (a simple include all, sort ascending index on the last name field)
    Build index
    Set as primary
    Closed define indexes window
    Opened define indexes window - index was still there
    Opened form
    Find by Key
    LNAME: - Yippee!!!

Went to the server
    Opened database (c:datadatabase for nti.adb)
    define indexes
    "Can be viewed but not changed"
    Looks OK
    Opened form
    Kind by Key
    LNAME: - Yippee!
    Closed database

Back to my client
    Closed Database
    Deleted all previous shadow data in program filesa5v4shadowdata
    Opened database
    Check Form - Find by Key = still OK
    Network optimize (to above location)
    Closed database
    Opened shadow database (at above location)
    Opened Form
    Find by Key
    LNAME: - Yippee!!!

Now, why did this work? Not sure I care, but someone might. What will happen at other clients? Will I need to repeat the above on each? Only time will tell.

Thanks all. Any additional insight will still be appreciated.

Sean

Comment

Sorry I wasn't clear. I have always opened the database on the server (from the client) and network optimized that.

Sometimes it was s2data sometimes it was Z:data, but it was always on the server.

Attached is the screen shot.

Sean

Comment

[skip attachment above, please use this one]

Sorry should have zipped it.

Comment

I'll be the first to confess that this is a bit out of my league, but I've had better luck using netbeui *and* I specify that it's the default protocol on my clients' networks. I will yield to the judgment of more experienced folks very quickly, however.

-- tom

Comment

RE: [skip attachment above, please use this one]

oK, now, what is in the Z:data (which is the
            data folder I assume. (on the server)

Comment

database for nti.adb
              database for nti.alb
              database for nti.alm
              database for nti.alx
              database for nti.muf
              nti.cdx
              nti.dbf
              nti.ddd
              nti.ddm
              nti.ddx

A DOS batch file we use to backup the DBF file. Other DBF files that were created by a query that have since been dropped from the database (and their assorted .dd? files).

Sean

Comment

Hmmm..wonder if that might be part of my problem with indexes and their corruption? Food for thought and experimentation.

Tom Lyon

Comment

RE: Networks, Shadows, Forms & Indices - RESOL

I wrote:

Now, why did this work? Not sure I care, but someone might. What will happen at other clients? Will I need to repeat the above on each? Only time will tell.

+++++++++

Update. Well, I went to another client machine.

Deleted all Shadow data
                  Opened the database on the server
                  Opened the form and tried the Find By Key - no luck
                  Repeated the steps I used at the first client to build the indexes, network optimize, etc.
                  Everything worked. Went back and checked the other client and the server - indexes working there.

Apparently I will have to rebuild the indexes on the server from each client. Not a huge problem, we are a small office - but it is curious.

Thanks everybody. I'd like to say its been fun, but...

Sean

Comment

Make sure you don't have index locking checked in the main alpha menu. It causes problems for me when I have it enabled.

Comment

Win98se does not allow you to map a drive on your 'server'.
                      This means that your client machine accesses the data in the Z drive (mapped drive) but your 'server' accesses the data in the C drive ('server' local drive)
                      To make the server and the client machine access data in the same drive, either use NT server on the server(complex expensive) or add a second Harddrive on your server and use it for data files (the server will then have a D drive, and the client can map the D drive on the server to D). A5 will then always work with data located in the same drive (D in this example)!

Comment

Working...
                      X