Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Report filter, yes, Query, no

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Report filter, yes, Query, no

Does anyone have any idea why a variant of a Peter Wayne function filters a report just fine but seemingly can't be made to work in a query? The function, based on stuff on p.59 of Peter's book, determines the number of work days between 2 dates given holidays that are entered in a table :

Workdays(Date(),Permdueon,"holidays")

RE: Report filter, yes, Query, no

Can you be more specific about the function and the context in which you are using it?

Comment

Peter,

The function, report filter and some query code follows. As to the context, I want the report to print a record only if certain fields are or are not blank, when a certain date has not yet come and gone, and most importantly when there are a table specified number of workdays left before a deadline date that exists in each record. A kind of tickler report for the deadline. And that all works as a report filter. BUT, if a record prints in the report my users want the date it was printed (or at least a flag) to be recorded in the record. That's why I thought I would switch to a query, print based on the query and then update the appropriate field with date() after it is confirmed that the report printed OK.

If this won't work for some reason, one option would be to revert to calendar days. But my users would not like that. Or I could give up having the date the record was printed except on hard copy, but my users really wouldn't like that. I suppose I could try to figure out a way to fetch through records without involving a query, determine workdays and update a field with the number of workdays, then go from there. But that could be very time consuming for a large table. Or maybe there is some even better way I haven't thought of yet, assuming that a simple query just is not going to work.

Thanks for any help you can be.

Ray
      function Workdays as N(First as D,Last as D,Name_of_Hol_Tbl as C)
      option strict
      dim dow1 as n
      dim dow2 as n
      dim weekends as n
      dim nholidays as n
      dim offset as n
      dim hol as p 'pointer to the holiday table
      dim ip as p
      dim query.description as c
      dim query.filter as c
      dim query.options as c
      dim query.order as c
      dim fld as p 'pointer to the field in holiday
      dim field_name as c
      dim indx as p
      on error goto no_holiday_table
      hol=table.open(Name_of_Hol_tbl)
      on error goto 0

fld=hol.field_get(1) '**Pointer to 1st field in the file
      if fld.type_get()"D" then '**Make sure the 1st field is a date, just to be safe
      workdays=-1
      exit function
      end if
      field_name=fld.name_get() '**name of the 1st field-will be used below
      '**Each offset below either adds or subtracts weekend days to the date
      '**in the date field. Then all you need is the # weekends in between
      dow1=dow(first)
      offset=case(dow1=7,2,dow1=1,1,.t.,0)
      first=first+offset
      dow2=dow(last)
      offset=case(dow2=7,-1,dow2=1,-2,.t.,0)
      last=last+offset
      '**Now just calculate # of weekends and add a fudge factor in the event,
      '**that first - last goes, say, from a Thurs to a Monday
      weekends=int((last-first)/7)+iif(dow(first)>dow(last),1,0)
      '**Now check for holidays
      query.description="holidays between dates"
      query.order=""
      query.options=""
      query.filter="between("+field_name+",first,last)"
      ip=hol.query_create()
      nholidays=ip.records_get()
      '**Finally, just calculate the workdays
      workdays=last-first+1-nholidays-2*weekends
      indx=hol.index_get("holidays between dates")
      indx.drop()
      hol.close()
      exit function

no_holiday_table:
      on error goto 0
      workdays=-1
      exit function
      end function

(.NOT.DELETED()).AND.(ISBLANK("permission").AND.ISBLANK("P_PTRDATE")).and.date()Permduedat.AND.Workdays (Date(),Calc->Permduedat,"holidays")Perwarn_At

"Holidays" is the name of the holidays table. The above is the filter in the report and it works fine. Note that the report runs on a set and the calculated fields are global on the set level. Also note that I have tried doing away with the calculated fields but that did not help. G_setup->Perwarn_At is a numerical field, as is the result of the workdays function. I also tried doing away G_setup->Perwarn_at by just putting in a number, but that too did not help.
      In addition to using query builder under the query genie, I have tried numerous things in Xbasic, including the following:

tbl = table.current()
      query.description = "Test 1 version"
      query.order = ""
      query.filter="ISBLANK("REFDATA->PERMISSION").AND.ISBLANK("P_PTRDATE").AND.CALC->PERMDUEDAT>=DATE().AND.Workdays(Date(),Calc->Permduedat,"holidays")Perwarn_At"
      �I also tried various simplifications like the following, to no avail.
      �query.filter="(Workdays(Date(),Calc->Permduedat,"holidays"))Perwarn_At"
      query.options = "I"
      tbl.query_create()

Comment

The query.filter you say you are using in the query won't work because
        you are not properly using single quotes within the double
        quotes of the query.filter.

Comment

Hard as it is to believe, I am way beyond messing up on quotation marks in things such as this. It's just that I forgot that this system drops the slashes that are in front of the offending double quotes that are in what I copied to paste in here. In addition to that I tried single quotes with the eaxct same results.

Ray

Comment

Ray,

If you want to repost your script with the backslashes intact, just substitute the html equivalent

(\) ---- substitute keyboard characters for the "words" below.

"ampersand"#92"semicolon" for each of the backslashes.

Stan
            There can be only one.

Comment

Stan,

Thanks, though without experimenting I'm not sure I get how to do what you are saying. And in any case it's pretty obvious in the code where the backslashes go or alternatively where to use single quotes.

My tentative conclusion is that A5 can't deal with a query within a query. Still hope that is wrong though.

Ray

Comment

Can you do the workdays() calculation outside of the query?
                Won't your workdays() function just return a number, such
                as 4 or 8?

Can't you write
                wkdays=workdays(date(),calc->permduedat,"holidays")
                and then rewrite the query filter as
                query.filter="isblank('permission') .and. isblank\
                ('p_ptrdate') .and. wkdaysperwarn_at"

Would this work?

Comment

Raymond,

Just trying to pass along things I learned here. If I paste this in right from one of Cal Locklin's earlier posts:

&amp#92;,&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp when put in your post in place of the backslashes, should produce a backslash in the post as "translated" by this message board.

Stan
                  There can be only one.

Comment

Stan,

Thanks, now I see what you were talking about. And I guess I was just dense when I first read it. Again, thanks.

Ray

Comment

>>Can you do the workdays() calculation outside of the query?>Won't your workdays() function just return a number, such as 4 or 8?permduedat,"holidays")
                      and then rewrite the query filter as
                      query.filter="isblank('permission') .and. isblank
                      ('p_ptrdate') .and. wkdaysperwarn_at"

won't work. Actually, it would run, but it won't do the job because, again, I need to check the workdays remaining a for deadline that can vary for each record.

Any other ideas would be appreciated very much.

Thanks.

Ray Lyons

Comment

What is the calc->permduedate expression? Maybe you
                        should just include that expression in the workdays() function, instead of trying to refer to calc->permduedate in the query filter.

Comment

>>Maybe you should just include that expression in the workdays() function, instead of trying to refer to calc->permduedate in the query filter.

Comment

Because it appears that one cannot have a function in a query filter if the function itself runs a query, I have arrived at the following solution to the problem, though I am not particularly thrilled with it:

The solution involves adding a field for Workdays to the main table and then breaking the query that would not run into 3 parts.

The 1st part is the 1st part of the malfunctioning query and results in the records to update with workdays:
                            query.filter="(ISBLANK('REFDATA->PERMISSION').AND.ISBLANK('P_PTRDATE').AND.CALC->PERMDUEDAT>=DATE())"

The 2nd part takes the middle part of the malfunctioning query and uses it to update the added WKDAYS field. For those who may try such an update through the Update Card, note that you cannot build it through the expression builder as it will get some bogus error when you try to save the expression (I say "bogus" because it will in fact work if you merely type in the expression without going to the expression builder). In Xbasic we get, in part:

update.field1 = "WKDAYS"
                            update.expr1 = "Workdays(Date(),Calc->Permduedat,\holidays\)"
                            [In case the above line screws up the word holidays is supposed to be enclosed by a backslash and double quotes.]

Now we have to combine the results of the above two in a final query, which is basically the malfunction query with the work done by the function in the new WKDAYS field:

query.filter="(ISBLANK('REFDATA->PERMISSION').AND.ISBLANK('P_PTRDATE').AND.CALC->PERMDUEDAT>=DATE().AND.WKDAYSPERWARN_AT)"

This is used to both run the report and update the date the report was run in the main table. Note that I can't just run a query on our newly update WKDAYS field because it includes day values larger than I want to print, and I have to rerun the other part of the filter to ensure that we don't print records that have already been printed or are otherwise irrelevant. And I don't just run the update on all records in the table mainly because when the table gets large this comparatively slow running update could take too long (also I don't want to destroy historical data on how many workdays were left when the old report runs were printed, though of course that could be handled without the first query).

At least this works.

Ray Lyons

Comment

Shoot, I left out the double quotes! I'll try again:

update.expr1 = "Workdays(Date(),Calc->Permduedat,\"holidays\")"

Ray

Comment

Working...
                              X