Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Browse Sorts "Disappear"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Browse Sorts "Disappear"

In a database with a one-to-many link, I have a form with a browse table with child records. When attempting to sort on one of the fields in the child database (the field is visible in the browse form) the following problems occur:

If the field used to sort the child records is empty for one or more records in the child database, clicking on the "Sort Acending" button causes all records in the child database to disappear from the browse AND it places the user into entering new record mode.

This occurs on every database with one-to-many link to a child table. Primarily when sorting on fields in the child record that have been defined in the field rules as "lookup" fields.

Ron Wills
    netHARNESS.com
    [email protected]

RE: Browse Sorts

Ron,

I tried this on a form containing two browses and fields from the main table. I placed the cursor in a field that I knew would not always contain data and clicked Ascending. No problem. Also tried Descending with no problem. My browses are embedded. I created a set containing the Parent table, a child table and a grandchild table. Browses are created from the child and grandchild tables and placed on the form containing the fields from the parent table. It works great for me.

Hope this helps.

kenn

PS thanks for the F1 tip in your post on Access vs A5
    TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

I thought I might have to send a sample. I have attached a zip file which contains a database called "Sort Problems.adb" with dummy records. Make a temporary folder and copy all the files into the folder.

When you load the database the form "Employees Listed by Employer" automatically loads. Try the following in the browse:

Click on the "Year" field heading, then click on the sort ascending. Works Fine.

Click on the "Dep. ID" field heading, click on sort ascending, PROBLEM !
      (you will have to use the "Close" button and then reload the form"

Next, Click on the "Source ID" field heading, click on sort ascending, PROBLEM !

"Source Full Name" field sorts correctly

I have had this problem with other databases in AlphaFive Ver 4.03.

Ron Wills
      www.netHARNESS.com
      [email protected]

Comment

Ron, I think you have one or more field rules that are conflicting with each other.

I focused on the Source_Id field. Some of your records have values in this field. Others are blank in this field. When you sort the table on this field the blank fields will sort to the top of the list and the record pointer will move there, too, I believe. Some of your field rules seem to trigger various actions if certain fields are blank. For example, some of your lookups are triggered to conditionally popup if certain fields, like source_id, are blank.

Here are some clues which may help you unscramble things.

The Source_Id field sorts A..Z and Z..A just fine in the default browse for the Dates_Worked table.

The Source_Id field sorts A..Z and Z..A just fine in your form based on the Employers To Work History Sample Set, provided you disable the 'Auto Advance after field filled' rule for Source_Id.

I can't tell you why this works, because your field rules are too closely interconnected with one another for me to diagnose quickly.

Hope this helps.

-- tom

Comment

RE: Ron, I think you have one or more field rules that are conflicting with each other.

One clarification to my original posting:
          I have found that the fields: Site ID, Full Name, Source ID and Dep ID sort Z->A. I just had not tried it out. However the problem occurs when they are sorted A->Z which was detailed in my first posting. Note: the Fields Q1, Q2, Q3 and Q4 are logical fields and do not sort correctly either A->Z or Z->A.

What I did based on your posting:
          I selected the DEP_ID field which was one that would not sort correctly. I removed ALL field rules for that field. I went in and looked for fields referencing that field and removed the reference to that field. The Dep_ID field was cleaned of all rules or references from other fields. EXACTLY the same result: A->Z sorting causes all records to drop from the screen.

Based on the above and that when accessing the child table, "Dates_Worked," which sorts just fine in Browse mode on any of the fields even the Q1 through Q4 logical fields, I believe that the field rules are not likely causing the problem. Remember that the field rules are in effect in the child table as well as in the set. Its the same field rules.

Your response got me thinking, however, my best guess now is that it may be caused by the Set Structure (which is pretty simple - a single field linking the main database to the child) or Indexes as likely causing the problem.

Any other ideas would be welcomed!

Ron Wills
          www.netHARNESS.com
          [email protected]

Comment

Ron, when the screen seems to clear and the 'records disappear' it's because Alpha Five has begun a new record and is waiting for data entry to continue. This is happening in your embedded browse, and involves the child table Hours Worked.

Your browse is not set 'read only', so whenever the cursor tabs through the last row a new record is started by Alpha Five automatically. My guess here is that Alpha Five steps through all the rows in the table when it does its A..Z or Z..A sort. This may be what's triggering the new record to start.

I changed the properties of the embedded browse to 'read only' and the sorts seem to work just fine. I think they're working in your case too, but the display is getting goofed up because of the new record that gets started.

I'm rethinking my earlier ideas about the field rules themselves. They may be fine.

Incidentially, I see that some of your table names have blank spaces in them. Many of us try hard to avoid using table names with blank spaces in them. There are are times when Alpha Five needs the exact name, including the blank space, and there are other times when Alpha Five substitutes a hard underscore for the blank space. The inconsistent treatment can cause problems if you're like me, unable to remember when which is which. -- tom

Comment

Working...
            X