Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Records duplicating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Records duplicating

Good afternoon,

I have an application where records duplicate themselves.
    there is 8000 records and all of them have duplicated and some even ten times.

Where should I look first. Can it be due to the linking in the sets. I have not used referential integrity anywhere.And records are created using auto increment field which is read only.

Thanks in advance for your valuable suggestions.

JP

RE: Records duplicating

Sounds like a real nightmare. When you say the records have duplicated themselves, do you mean that the values in all fields of two or more records are identical? Even the auto-increment fields?

-- tom

Comment

Tom,

Exactly, even the autoincrement field are duplicated. The application still work ok. One other problem is that I lost a few records,but I have recuperated them.

Do you have any clue?

Thanks

JP

Comment

I forgot to tell you all the fields are duplicated.
        May be I should look at the links in my set. I dont know if it can help

Thsnks

Comment

I forgot to tell you all the fields are duplicated.
          May be I should look at the links in my set. I dont know if it can help

Thsnks

Comment

Haven't run into this myself. (Thank goodness!)

Can you post a copy here?

Are you seeing the duplicates using the default browse for the table?

Is this true when you view the records in natural or record-number order?

-- tom

Comment

Tom,

The application is on my office computer and I do not have it with me on my home computer.

Do you want to see a copy of the table only? It is quite large, but I can try to-morrow.

I do not quite understand your last question.

Thanks

Comment

If you zip the table you may be surprised at how small it can become. If you prefer not to post it here, you may email it to me privately.

To use the default browse for a table:
                1) go to control panel
                2) select tables tab
                3) double click on the table

To view that same table in natural or record-number order:
                1) while using the default browse
                2) select Records off the menu
                3) select Advanced off the dropdown menu which then appears
                4) select Select Index/Query off the dropdown menu which then appears
                5) select Record-Number Order off the list which then appears.

This presents the records in the order in which they were added to the table, without using any indexes or queries which alter the 'order' in which they actually exist in the table.

If you do not see the duplicates while viewing them in this way, it suggests strongly that your index is corrupt.

-- tom

Comment

Thanks very much, I will perform these tasks in the morning and keep you posted.

Have a good nite.

JP

Comment

Hi Tom,

I did what you said and I get a nice list without duplication except for one record. I can forget about that one.

I also made a copy of my table in a seperate directory and it does not have duplicate records in it.So it looks like I have corrupted indexes.

Should I remove the index and create new ones. I tried reindexing but it did not correct the problem.

The table is a part of a set.

May be you have another good suggestion to correct the corrupted index(es).

Thanks again

JP

Comment

That's good news. I'm sure you feel better, too.

Others may different ideas, but if I were you I would:

1) Open the control panel for this database
                      2) Select the Tables Tab
                      3) Right click on the table that's in trouble
                      4) Select Define Indexes off the drop down list
                      5) Using an old fashioned pencil and paper I'd write down each Index Name and each corresponding Order Expression. Pay close attention to underscores, blanks, and all punctuation. Each and every keystoke is vital. Continue until all have been documented and double checked.

6) Then I'd close Alpha Five and kick everyone else on my network out of Alpha Five.
                      7) Using Windows Explorer I'd copy all the files in my database folder to a safety folder elsewhere on my hard disk. These can be copied back to reverse the next changes if things go haywire. If your tables are spread across more than one folder I think you can limit the copy to the files in the same folder with your troubled table. Take care to assure that all files are actually copied. If someone in your office is still running Alpha Five and working with any of the same files they may *not* be copied to safety.

8) While Alpha Five is closed, and no one else on your network is using Alpha Five and this database...

- I'd use Windows Explorer to delete the CDX file for the troubled table. This is the file Alpha Five uses to keep the indexes for that table. It has the same name as your table, and has a CDX extension in the filename.

9) Next, I'd start Alpha Five again and then open the same database. Once it's open, I'd open the control panel, select the tables tab and right click on the troubled table.

10) Then I'd re-define the indexes for the table all over again. This is where you hand written notes become important. To do this after right clicking on the table, select Define Indexes from the drop down list and fill in the blanks.

11) Lastly, I'd then rebuild all the indexes.

It is important that no one else start working with Alpha Five or these tables while you are doing this maintenance work.

After it's running correctly again I recommend you *search* this forum for message threads on index difficulties. You will find specific recommendations that may help you avoid this problem in the future. I'm thinking especially of message threads recommending that index names and tags be limited to 10 or fewer characters.

-- tom

Comment

Tom,

You are perfectly right, I am feeling much better and may be my application is not that bad.

One of my business relation from Muskogee OK. was saying:
                        " I feel more like I do now than I did a while ago".

I will follow your idea "religiously" and will keep you informed of the results.

Thank you very much for your help and the time you take to help me,it is very much appreciated.

JP

Comment

Tom,

I did what you suggested and it solved 98% of the problem.
                          The remaining 2% has nothing to do with indexing but with the way some data were entered.

Thanks again

JP

PS: Long life to this board

Comment

Working...
                          X