Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Indexs that just disappear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Indexs that just disappear

I have a customer with an Application that keeps loosing indexes.

I have had many problems with this app. It was designed by someone else, and I have yet to figure all of the relationships, etc.

Every so often, they start having strange problems, and when we look at the indexes (Table, desing indexes)there are only a couple of them left where there should be several.

The only explanation I can come up with is that they are low on disk space, (only 70 meg left) and it may have someting to do with corrupted swap files.

Rebuilding indexes does nothing. I have to copy old .CDX files over and then rebuild.

Any ideas?

RE: Indexs that just disappear

Hi David --

Low disk space could be a factor.

Another thing to try:

Define Indexes and remove them all. (Before removing, you can clipboard them all and save them in the clipboard for the last step)

Delete the .cdx file.

Run ddd maintenance on that table's data dictionaries to clean everything out.

Put the indexes back.
    -Steve
    sigpic

Comment

Steve,

I'm interested in your reply. You say low disk space could ba a factor but don't indicate why. I am familiar with the disappearing index problem. My company has one particular table with sixteen indexes. The table resides on a server with about 10 gig of available disk space. About once a month, give or take a week, all but one of the defined indexes is no longer defined. Fairly simple matter to cut and paste the definitions from a backup and rebuild, but does anyone have a clue as to what is happening?

Thanks,

Stan
      There can be only one.

Comment

Well, low disk space isn't a factor for you!

I don't know what's happening. In fact, I'm building a module for my customer (in my copious free time) that will periodically (every few minutes) check to insure that some of the critical indexes exist, that their names are not truncated, and the expression is correct.

If you have repeated troubles with indexes in a particular table, following my advice above may be helpful.

- Steve
        -Steve
        sigpic

Comment

We've found that indexes can disappear when we crash (server or worksation), and that any indexes that come back are the result of someone loading a set which uses the table (the index is built by A5 twhen opening a set if it isn't there). Corruption can also result in missing indexes. Hopefully the memo fields (if you have any) aren't corrupted since it can be a major undertaking to find and fix corrupted memos in a big table.

Can you isolate what is being done when you lose the indexes? It might give more insight into trying troubleshoot this. For example, does it always happen with a particular form/report, in a set or not, form with memo fields, etc. Maybe when a particular script or operation is run?

Comment

Thirty users, in various combinations, usually no more than ten at a time. Possibility of at least that many different forms in use, or more than that number of reports being printed, some with "on the fly" queries generated. Over two hundred tables, two major sets, most of the tables are import results, summaries, and crosstabs used to gather information (monthly and yearly totals, sales and inventory) from Oracle tables to feed to the Alpha tables.

I supppose the "check every so often to see if the indexes are still there" approach is the best idea. I have a fairly simple routine in my Foxpro (DOS) Point of Sale program that logs every instance of an operator accessing a menu choice. The same sort of snippet in the oninit event of every form, browse, report, etc. combined with the index check would narrow down the posssibilities.

Now to find the time to implement the code, to find out when something is happening that shouldn't be possible.
            There can be only one.

Comment

Jim, Steve,

Sorry, didn't mean to sound flippant or dismissive. I appreciate the ideas. No hard feelings, just don't enjoy the prospect of doing the work.

How can a shared tablename.cdx be "overwritten" or "edited and rebuilt" when there are never less than three machines with write access to the tablename.dbf. This is a networked system. I have to get the other users off the system (at least out of the table and the sets to which it is linked) to fix the index problem.

Thanks again.

Stan
              There can be only one.

Comment

Stan,
                I had an application with the same problem. I even created a copy of each .cdx file for every table and created a xbasic script to copy the saved .cdx over the corrupted ones and then reindex every table.

Some time ago I posted a message about losing indexes. Selwyn replied that A5 will drop an index if an expression of filter in the index will not calculate, particularly if one of the filters is used to filter deleted records. I worked hard to simplify my indexes and now the problem is very infrequent. I tried to eliminate as many filters as possible, and now always pack a table when records are deleted.

You may want to search the archives for posts on lost indexes. There were a number of different posts which proved helpful.

Jerry

Comment

Hi David,

I have the same experience in the past and BILL HANISBERG tought me to make sure I use INDEX Name shorter than say 8 digit charcters, since then this problem dissappear for good.

Please check and reduce the name's length. Avoid fancy decription:"Index of father name etc"... Just use IDX001
                  and have your own reference somewhere.

Any comment ?

Ken Tjia

Comment

Some additional thoughts. Just saw Ken's reply below and I concur. If you use long name for indexes, them seem to be saved in the data dictionary. If the data dictionary becomes corrupted, the index names can be corrupted. If you stay with 10 digit names, this does not seem to be a problem.

I found Selwyn origianl mention of idexes being dropped. I searched using index, Selwyn Index,"Lost index", and other combinations in the search field. I finally found it. The complete post is as follows:

Index Disappearing (Just one this time)
                    Author: selwyn rabins
                    Date: 01-21-2000 17:57
                    File:

alpha five will automatically remove an index if the index expression does not parse.

what is the index expression for this table?

Comment

No long names, 1 filter, and when the indexes are dropped, sku always remains as the only defined index.
                      Tag Expression Filter Direction
                      Apr_Flyer_APRFLPAGE Ascending All
                      Aug_Flyer_AUGFLPAGE Ascending All
                      Aug_HighwaAUGHWPAGE Ascending All
                      Category CATEGORY Ascending All
                      Dept DEPT Ascending All
                      Fall_CatalFCATPAGE Ascending All
                      Feb_Flyer_FEBFLPAGE Ascending All
                      Itemcd ITM_CD Ascending All
                      Jun_Flyer_JUNFLPAGE Ascending All
                      Mar_Flyer_MARFLPAGE Ascending All
                      Master_CatMCATPAGE Ascending All
                      May_Flyer_MAYFLPAGE Ascending All
                      Nov_Flyer_NOVFLPAGE Ascending All
                      Oct_Flyer_OCTFLPAGE Ascending All
                      Oct_HighwaOCTHWPAGE Ascending All
                      Product_GrPRODGRP Ascending All
                      Sep_Flyer_SEPFLPAGE Ascending All
                      Sep_HighwaSEPHWPAGE Ascending All
                      Sku SKU Ascending All
                      Spring_CatSCATPAGE Ascending All
                      Summer_CatSUCATPAGE Ascending All
                      Summer_Pw_SUPW SUPW=.T. Ascending All
                      Totalsale0TSLYTTL Ascending All
                      TotalsalesTSTTL Ascending All
                      Winter_CatWCATPAGE Ascending All

Thanks all for your interest.

Stan
                      There can be only one.

Comment

Stan, in the interest of keeping things simple and perhaps more reliable, have you considered reducing the number of indexes? Some of the tagnames you list suggest that they might be replaced with queries created when needed, and then discarded. Though it's possible (indeed, very likely) that I infer too much here.

In my own work I try never to use filtered indexes and I limit the indexes to those which are essential for the user to navigate through the tables during data entry. Everything else I create using a query when needed. My system probably runs slower, but it's been very predictable. Haven't lost any index definitions, ever, except once when the customer's hard drive crashed.

-- tom

Comment

FWIW

When I transfer from my development computer at home to my running machine at the office using Pkzip, I find several corrupted indexes result. Each of these share the same first characters and each have underscores between words. I plan to rename these indexes to no longer than 8 characters and eliminate the underscores when I get around to it. It's not a big problem for me since the tables are not huge and I don't distribute the app and it only takes a minute to find and correct the problem. But I believe scrambled and lost indexes have something to do with long index names and their relationship to Pkzip, Windows98, and DOS.

Comment

In the past, before the common use of Iomega Zip & Jazz drives, I too would get lost or corrupted indexes using PK-Zip programs. Now if only my Iomega Jazz drives wouldn't break down!
                            Peter
                            AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
                            https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Stan, we have found through experience that it is best to limit your indexes to 10 spaces, use underscores no blanks.

Previously I have seen people recommend 8 spaces (old dos)
                              but our experience shows 10 spaces works well. If you crash with more than 10 spaces, it truncates to 10 spaces. This truncation can lead to cascading deletes of your indexes as A5 parses through with a mission to find the correct index that it is looking for, but now is named something else; but of course, no always.

Also, we keep our field names to be under 10 spaces for the same reason. Nor should you put blanks in forms either.

Now all of these are based upon our observations.

I personally have found that if someone is entering or modifying a record--so that the index is open, the delete of
                              indexes can occur upon a crash which we relate (but do not
                              really have evidence of same) to the heap lock problems--memory allocation/deallowcation issues.

Good luck

Comment

Working...
                              X