Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Export Operation "hangs"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Export Operation "hangs"

After running an Intersect operation successfully, an export operation hangs reading the table with 7 records that the query line shows for the export. The export is simply creating an .txt file with no delimiters.

Identical operations have worked in the past w/o any problem!

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Michael

RE: Export Operation

If the export is xbasic please post it. If it's a saved operation from the operations tab, I can't think of a possible cause.
    There can be only one.

Comment

Hi Stan;

Well just my luck it's a saved operation. I've recreated several times with the same result. I have another operation that goes after the same table and it does not hand but I also do not get a good result with this one either. I have a filter 'expression' to select only records with a certain numeric value(tran code) and although there are several records I get a read to end of file with "0" results. I'll use join instead to create the table and see what happens.

Thanks,

Michael

Comment

This sounds as though the result table has one or more defective records in it.

You might try halving it. Then run the export against each half. If one works you know the problem record(s) are in the other half. Divide it again, repeat until you get better clues on where the problem lies.

Good luck sleuthing.

-- tom

Comment

Stan;

I took Tom's suggestion and am unable to get export operation to run w/o "hanging". If I build my resulting table with zero records, the export will run to normal eoj inidating zero records also. When I have data records built, the export reacts as though it can not determine "eof" or whatever you may call it!

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Michael

Comment

Michael,

Can you zip this up and attach it? These things are hard to diagnose without more information about the record selection and query.

Thanks,

Stan
            There can be only one.

Comment

Stan;

You sent me zcsetup.exe which I will install. What exactly should I zip to you?

I attempted an export against my backup database and got the same results whci I would never expect since it has been dormant for awhile whereas this is my development version that I am trying to complete. If I have a system problem(i.e corrupted .dll or something, what is the modules used for the 'export' operation? The intersect, etc, are working w/o any problems.

Michael

Comment

Michael,

Pretty good description of what you need to send at the

"What files must I send?" link at the bottom of each message box.

If you have an Alpha installation problem, it's probably best to uninstall Alpha completely and reinstall. Cleaner and less chance of problems.
                There can be only one.

Comment

Stan;

I cannot get the 'zip' file down to 1mgb. The .ddm files alone are too big. Can I burn a 'cd' and send it to you as a last resort? I don't believe I have a problem due to installation. This system has been working for sometime. It's just the 'export' operation that is delaying me.

As another thought, I use table lookups defined in my master & detail tables that are used in the 'intersect' operation that runs clean. Would that effect the 'export'?

Michael

Comment

If the ddm and other files are so big, you may have to compact the database. They tend to swell up during development.

Bill
                    Bill Hanigsberg

Comment

Bill;

Tnaks for the tip. Unfortunately did not quite make it.

Michael

Comment

Stan;

Got around the problem by defining '
                        ascii.tbl' output rather than .txt. I run two export operaitons vs. the resulting table built in an 'intersect'. I have a filter criteria to output a separate flat file for each. When I run one or the other it 'clears'(i.e delete?) the records from the resulting table. What gives??

Michael

Comment

Bill;

Does an export operation using a filter criteria(dd_tran=23.or.dd_tran=33)clear records from the resulting table after a successful run?

I'm losing records each time with the defined output file being created as defined!

Michael

Comment

Michael,

Let me make sure I understand.

You run an intersect operation creating a result table, ATABLE.dbf.

You defined two exports to two separate files with distinct names, BFILE.tbl and CFILE.tbl.

When you run either of the export operations, the proper ?.tbl file is created and the corresponding records in the ATABLE.dbf are removed, and the records that do not satisfy the filter remain.

I just tried this and there are no options for "marking" or deleting the records as they are exported. I can't understand what could be happening.
                            There can be only one.

Comment

Stan;

You got it! It doesn't make any sense. The reason for the two exports is Bfile.tbl requires certain tran code records whereas Cfile.tbl requires others.

I'm at aloss!

Michael

Comment

Working...
                              X