Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Approach Convert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Approach Convert

I've been a Lotus Approach user for years but, now I need a runtime version and something that reliably networks 3-5 users easily (Appproach doesn't do this very well). The only thing I can see different about Approach is they have macros to do easy funtions. Am I going to have problem understanding xbasic?

This will be a big commitment for me and I want to be encouraged but, with eyes open too.

FYI- I've run already tried and run away from Paradox, Visual Dbase, Foxpro, Access, Filemaker, and 4th Dimension.

Thanks in advance,

Bob

RE: Approach Convert

Ropbert,

Welcome Home!

I'm not an A5 expert but I can tell you that A5 has a similar function to the macros you're used to. Xbasic is the easiest of the programing languages to learn (I've tried Access & VB6 as well as Paradox).

Better yet, you will find the help on the msg board to be 2nd to none. Help is just a few clicks away and often it comes right from the top, Selwyn Rabins. That is something no other product offers.

Although there will be some relearning, (there was for me)you will enjoy A5.

Ken
    TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

I agree with Ken.

Also, I can tell you that I am forced to use Approach at the office and it drives me crazy to deal with the many limitations. (I work for the American office of the Italian division of a Swedish company - I gave up trying to change them a long time ago. If it ain't decided in Europe, it won't work.)

I seen other engineers start from scratch with Approach and after only 2 weeks find out that Approach will not let them do what they want. Consequently, they have to work out an alternative that will get the job done but less effectively. You probably won't run into much of that with A5.

You should find after a while that A5 is actually much more capable than Approach - especially when it comes to creating applications that a new user can operate without any need to understand how A5 works. I have a number of applications that customers are using regularly and they spend almost no time training new employees. With Approach I find that I must first train new people about how to use the basics of Approach before they can use an application effectively.

There WILL be a learning curve but you will find that it is much easier than Access. (And, I found Access to be easier than Paradox.)

Comment

You may not have to learn XBasic at all to do what you want.

A5 has a variety of single step functions that you can select when you create a button (click the button, it performs the function).

If single step functions won't do what you want, you can resort to "action scripting", a simple form of programming by selecting actions from a list.

If that doesn't do what you want, there is a macro recorder that you can turn on to record your actions while you step through the process you wish to automate, and you can run the macro easily by attaching it to a button.

There is something of a learning curve with A5, but a big payoff. I've tried several projects in a variety of database products (the same projects across several databases) and found Approach and FileMaker Pro come up short on features and functionality and other products demand too much of a time investment to make them worthwhile for what I need to do. Other products do have some nice features I wish A5 had, but I always return to A5 when it's time to produce serious work.

It's too bad you're a little late to the party. Even Alpha's DOS products from v3 on could do more than Approach.

Comment

Wow! You guys are really into this. I ordered the program today. I've read around the site and looked the other support web sites. Should I invest in the books advertised or just go with the documentation on the program's CD?

If I get the runtime, how big is the .exe that I'll generate for a small one form database? I'm trying to make a simple entry form that will send me the info by email. The runtime is a steal compared to the electrionic forms softwares that charge you for every reader.

Thanks again for the info

Bob

Comment

Since you have experience with Approach, will I have a problem with a conversion of my current data? The size is 16 databases, 44 views, 199 macros, 204 variables, over 300,000 records and the whole thing is about 120 megs in size. I'm kind of blind about the data struture of A5 because I'm used to dbase IV files.

Thanks for any advice

Bob

Comment

Robert,

I can answer the first part. Get the books. Anything by Dr. Peter Wayne is a must, lots of good stuff. You can print out the manuals from the cd but they are also available from a third party vendor at a pretty resonable price. Check the Alphasoftware web sight and you'll find the sources.

As for your 2nd question, someone else will have to handle that.

Have fun!

Kenn
              TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

The basic data structure for Alpha Five is .dbf files.

Comment

Just be aware that the Peter Wayne books were written for A5 v3. Still valuable, but don't be surprised by what you get. He also runs a web site -- www.learn alpha.com that has a wealth of material for you once you get past the basics.

Comment

The runtime doesn't create an exe it is basically the same program without the ability to create or edit any layout, operation or code. A5V4 will not directly do an email this will be added to A5V5 due to be released hopefully sometime late summer. The runtime is indeed a steal.

Comment

Hi Robert,

i am not an expert either but after using Alpha4 (DOS)I was reluctant to switch to A5 but after reading some comments on the board, I plunged into it and do not regret it at all, although there is a learning curve, but after a while you will get used to it.

Good luck,

J.P

Comment

I agree with everything else I've seen here so I won't repeat most of it.
                        But, as someone said, direct e-mail won't be available until version 5 due out later this summer. In the meantime, I've been doing some experimenting with creating HTML reports based on some comments on this board. I have created some simple ones and am now working on one that is more complex. The initial creation is taking some time but so far the results are pretty good.

If you have any familiarity with HTML, you should be able to create a report that generates a simple entry form quite easily. This report could then be e-mailed to anyone with a browser. (Of course, that limits it to only a few million people but it's a start...)

Comment

By the way, when I said the complex one is "taking some time" I meant hours - not days. I've only spent 1 hour so far and I think I'm about 1/3 done. Also, this is my first attempt at creating one where various lines are different fonts and alignments. To make things tougher, I'm converting a landscape report to print portrait so it can be used easier with the HTML format.

Comment

I guess there's another question that didn't get answered fully:

will I have a problem with a conversion of my current data? The size is 16 databases, 44 views, 199 macros, 204 variables, over 300,000 records and the whole thing is about 120 megs in size.
                            As someone else pointed out, the DBF files are the same so you may not need to do any conversion of data at all - just copy the Approach files to your A5 directory and use them. Actually, A5 uses FoxPro2.6 format but I've found little problem just using Approach files directly.
                            The only issue is with Memo fields. Approach allows you to use the <Enter> key in character fields but A5 does not. In A5, you must use a Memo field if you want multiple new lines of text. Consequently, you may need to do a little conversion via an append operation. If so, it's not very difficult. If you have any trouble, just post a message here or e-mail me direct if you wish.

As for the view and macros (scripts in A5), you will have to recreate all of them - just like you would if you changed to any other database. However, I think you will find it easier in A5 - I do! Also, you may find that you don't need 199 macros in A5. The most I've ever used is about 123 but that app has been developed over a period of 8-10 years. I created an app to handle all of a college's prospect info, student info, course definition, transcripts, book orders, and follow-up letters and it has less than 100 macros. As for the variables, I would guess that you will need to recreate them but, since I don't know exactly what yours are doing, I can't say for sure. Personally, I can't imagine using that many variables in A5.

Comment

Working...
                            X