Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Entering Data on a Second Tab of a Tabed form

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Entering Data on a Second Tab of a Tabed form

What commands are used to allow Changing or entering Data on the Second & Third tab of a tabed Form. It always goes to the first tab when opening the form. I want some automated data entry like the Date and Change a Logic from F to T with actions on a button Then Enter a Check # and Amount on the second tab. Then enter a deposit # and date on the third tab. Nothing I have tried allows any Automatic entry on the second two tabs of the form. Any help will be Much appreciated.

Thanks Ken

RE: Entering Data on a Second Tab of a Tabed form

I've allways been able to automatically enter data on any tab of a tabbed form by using the absolute name of the item I want to change.

ie.

:MyForm:MyItem.value = "100.00"

Comment

I can Enter Data but I Want AUTOMATED Entry, and cannot get it to go past the FIRST TAB with Send Keys. I am New at A5 and do not understand what you are saying at all. I have to see something to really know what it is like.

Comment

Ken

I am not sure exactly what you mean by automated entry, but there are a number of methods to get information into a field without direct user input.

First situation:
        You want to have a value entered into a record when the record is created. This is done in field rules by setting a default value. If the user takes no action, the default value will be entered.

Second situation:
        You want the value of a field to be based on the value of another field. This can be done a couple ways, but the most likely would be to make one field a calculated field in field rules and have its values calculated from another field.

Third situation:
        You want the values determined or entered while a form is open. This is normally done using xbasic. The code may be on a button, a form event, or an object event. There are 2 significant options here. You can get a pointer to a table and enter values directly into the table.

tbl = table.current()
        tbl.change_begin()
        tbl.yourfield = value to save
        tbl.change_end()

The other option uses code similar to Larry's suggestion. Every object on a form has an object name and certain properties. For example, if one of the field objects on a form called "MyForm" is named "MyItem", then the complete object name is Myform:myfield. The name of an object by default is the same as the field that is in it, but the name can be changed in object properties. If you want to set the value entered into that object, you would use something like

MyForm:MyItem.value = "100.00"

That line would have to be part of some xbasic code attached to something. Various objects have different properties that can be set.

Whithout more information, it is impossible to get more specific. From your message, it sounds like you are trying to use send_keys() for data entry, which is very inefficient. While this was typical in A4, A5 is a Windows based program and is object oriented. It is much more useful to address the object directly with its name and set its properties that way.

Jerry

Comment

By the way, then object name is the same if it is on a tabbed object or placed directly on the form. The tabbed object itself is just an object and it has certain properties of its own. The xbasic manual give many methods to use properties to set which tab has focus, or to move focus to a specific tab.

Jerry

Comment

This is really a Simple 3 Tabed Form, with some of the information repeated on all 3 tabs.

It has a Customer Name, Ect. Invoice #, Service Date, and 2 Logics, Paid & Deposited. On entry the Customer Name ect. is entered via a Pick List which also enters the Inv. Amount System Date is Entered and Sets the Logics ALL AS False with Send Keys. When I receive Payment on TAB2 I want to change Logic Paid F to T Enter the System Date from a button then enter a Check # & Amount & Save. Same with Tab3, I want to enter the System Date for a Deposit and Change another Logic from F to T. Seems like this could be done by System Send Keys, works entereing the basic on Tab1. But getting to tab 2 & 3 gets me. I have looked in the xbasic manual and I find NOTHING that give me a clue. I have searched both books and Peter Norton's training book also. I find nothing so far, seems like it would be in the index. Where is it hiden???

Give me a Clue how this works.

tbl = table.current()
            tbl.change_begin()
            tbl.yourfield = value to save
            tbl.change_end()

Is this Coding on a BUTTON??? Does it Allow Enter or Change of data on a form I would think so. I am a very simple minded person and have to see something to understand it. Am doing my best to learn what I can from any example I find & read this board regular for any hints I can pick up. I am use to A4 but like the way A5 works and wish I had made he plunge a LONG time ago. The codeing what is getting me. Any tips as to what I can get to learn would be appreciated Very Much. I have Peter Norton's Book and am in the process of going through it.

To Enter Data on a Form that has data on it, I have to CLOSE it and then REOPEN IT. Seems like there should be a better way. If I do NOT then it locks and blinks like crazy and have to hit the power button.

Any help will be MUCH Appreciated.

Thanks so Much

Ken

Comment

Ken

First, you are thinking in A4. I had the same problem when I first went to A5. The best method is to forget nearly everything you learned in A4 because it doesn't apply to an object oriented product.

You didn't mention which A5 program version you are using. Different versions work differently. In A5V4, what you want to do is fairly simple. I strongly suggest you read the section in the xbasic manual on Action Scripting, as well as the sections on object properties

When you change the value in a field, you trigger events attached to the field. If you open a form in design mode, place the cursor in a field and right click. One of the options is actions. These actions (or events) occur when certain conditions occur. For instance, a field object may have an OnChange event. When you change the value in the field, whatever scripting is attached is run. Using action scripting, you can select an action to set the properties of an object. If you set the "value" property, it is just as if you typed the value into the field. The field does not have to be visible to set the property.

Now, if you want the action to cause the tab to change, I don't see that in action scripting. However, you can change the code window to straight xbasic. Then you can set the object property directly. For instance, if you have a tabbed object named tabbed1 (the default name for the first tabbed object created on a form) and you want to send focus to the second tab, this one line of xbasic code will do that.

topparent:tabbed1.tab_set(2)

In this example, I chose just one event. Events (actions) exist for each object as well as the form itself. You may have to play around will putting code on different actions to see if you can get the effect you want.

Learning the concepts of objects and object properties is not easy, but essential to understanding a windows based program. It will take some time and frustration. The xbasic manual is fairly good about covering these concepts, although it does seem cryptic at first.

Jerry

Comment

Working...
              X