Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Corrupted *.fpt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Corrupted *.fpt

I have read many of the posts about memo fields (it's a love/hate realtionship) and now MAY have a similar problem. Any new thoughts??

When a *.fpt file has corrupted in the past, there was talk of exploding sizes. My file has gotten larger 499K to 818K in 3 weeks, but there was also a lot of activity during that time.

Secondly, all entries made before a certain date (9/7) seem to be fine. Entries made since then are currently missing, but were present in a 9/27 export report. So, is my file corrupted, or did someone's child sit at a keyboard and delete memo field entries?

I am currently pulling backups off a tape from earlier this month. (the other glitch in all this is that my two primary users were on vacation from 10/2 to 10/9).

Looking for lots of thoughts!!

Thanks

RE: Corrupted *.fpt

Hi Valerie,

Doesn't sound good. First thing to try is a table pack on the offending table. Be aware that this will also permanently delete all deleted records in the table. If the table pack runs successfully go back in and see what the data looks like. Beyond this, a backup is the only way to retrieve the memo field data easily and completely. If this is not possible there are other ways to recover as much as possible, but they can be time consuming.

Good luck,
    Jim

Comment

I've been using A5 since it first came on the scene and A4 since around 1983. I never had the memo problem until about a week ago. I traced it to this... I was compacting the database and because the table with the memo file was so large the compacting was taking a very long time and I assumed the system hung. Windows sometimes reports Not Responding when this isn't really true. So after putting everything back together manually (about a days work) I backed up immediately and again compacted to test my theory that aborting the compacting routine was the problem. When I let the compacting process run its course (about 3-5 minutes) I had no problems. Obviously this isn't conclusive but as I never had the problem before and I use A5 5 days a week, its enough for me. Hope this helps.

Comment

Off to other jobs for a week, now back to this. . .

I was able to restore from a backup. The previous day backup also had missing memo fields, but a week old was ok. So I split the difference and tried three days old. It was all right too, so I just went with that. There were 12-15 entries that needed to be re-entered, but as opposed to 100+, that's not bad.

However, I still have no explantion besides the toddler at the keyboard idea.

I compact this database less than once per month, and it is a 'manual' operation I run occasionally when I visit the client.

Also, while we're here. . . pack. I always see cautions not to pack unless you are ready to permanently delete. But, how do you see the'un-permanently deleted' records?

thanks

Comment

With Ira's
          Undelete function of course! (He put it in the Code Archive)

Comment

I am thinking about using the mark instead of the delete so that I may see those records I may get rid of. Another way we did it in Clipper was to designate a field that said deleted and all our code knew not to go there.

One other way is to keep a copy of an older copy of Alpha that shows deleted records.

Maybe we got smart and included that in a5v5

Dave
            Dave Mason
            [email protected]
            Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

What bad english I used!

I also meant to say that I learned not to use Memo fields a long time ago. They do not port to other programs sometimes and are always hard to work with. I prefer long character fields and sometimes added together.

Good Luck
              Dave
              Dave Mason
              [email protected]
              Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

"However, I still have no explantion besides the toddler at the keyboard idea. "

Do you have a cat?
                Bill Hanigsberg

Comment

Yup, but he types better than I.

Dave
                  Dave Mason
                  [email protected]
                  Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Valerie,

Among the various message threads discussing problems with memo fields you've no doubt run across several which suggest ways to minimize problems, especially in a multi-user environment. Often folks will recommend that the memo field be stored in a separate table altogether, linked one to one with its related table. The theory being that doing this makes it easier to reconstruct after trouble, plus your whole table is not trashed if the memo field goes bonkers.

Dr. Wayne also advises, especially in a multi-user setting, that edits to the memo field never be made in ENTER mode. When a new memo is required, his code enters the new record, immediately saves it, and then opens it again in CHANGE mode. This assures that the link to the rest of the table is intact and minimizes potential conflicts with other users.

-- tom

Comment

Hi Tom,

Dr. Wayne also advises, especially in a multi-user setting, that edits to the memo field never be made in ENTER mode. When a new memo is required, his code enters the new record, immediately saves it, and then opens it again in CHANGE mode. This assures that the link to the rest of the table is intact and minimizes potential conflicts with other users.

I don't buy that. I believe ENTER is a much safer mode if a crash occurs. There may be some valid reason, but I can't think of any for preferring CHANGE over ENTER. CHANGE locks the record from other users changing it, ENTER does no locks until the save (since it is new, the record/memo does not yet exist in the file.

Regards,

Ira J. Perlow
                      Computer Systems Design & Associates
                      [email protected]
                      Regards,

Ira J. Perlow
                      Computer Systems Design

CSDA A5 Products
                      New - Free CSDA DiagInfo - v1.39, 30 Apr 2013
                      CSDA Barcode Functions

CSDA Code Utility
                      CSDA Screen Capture

Comment

Ira,

Perhaps I've mistaken Dr. Wayne's recommendation?

In any case, this seems a likely candidate for a work session at the next conference, would you agree?

-- tom

Comment

Ira, in reviewing my notes I see that Dr. Wayne's recommendation was intended to help solve the problem created by the user who begins a new record, fails to complete and save the memo, and then goes to lunch, or switches to another part of the application. Creating and immediately saving the empty memo maintained the integrity of the memo file that was being lost. The problems were not necessarily occuring because of network or system crashes...

If someone is using memo fields in a table and must choose between maintaining the integrity of the file or occasionally inconveniencing another user on the network what's the best choice?

Again, sounds like a good topic for discussion at the next conference.

Could be titled "Living with memo fields"

-- tom

Comment

I think a more proper title might be:

Dying with Memo Fields

Comment

A memorial service?

Comment

Working...
                              X