Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Update Application (Ira...)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update Application (Ira...)

I just returned from taking far to long to update an application on a clients computer. From other discussions on this board, I do the following:

1. any tables that I have added new field to, I have restructured the client's app to match.
    2. Then I backup the clients directory to a backup
    3. Then I copy my new files (the directory) to the location on the clients computer I just vacated in the previous step.
    4. Then I add back the clients .dbf and .ftp files.
    5. Then I start the app and update the directories.

BUT, the indexes are not updated! I needed to go back and individually update the indexes. I didn't add back the client's indexes because I wanted to be sure not to miss any indexes I created.

So do I need to keep tract of new indexes I create along with new fields, tables, and sets. It gets to be quite a process then to update a client application.

Ira, did you say you are working on a utility that will handle the above? How do others do it?

Thanks

Tom

RE: Update Application (Ira...)

I have one friend who uses my app, and I update it occaisionally.
    1. Backup his package completely
    2. Update his fields to match mine.
    3. Copy in the
    *.ddd, *.ddx, *.ddm,
    *.set, *.sex, *.sem,
    *.adb, *.alb, *.alm, *.alx
    files from my app. In other words everything EXCEPT the data...
    4. Run database compact. Rebuilds all indexes with my definitions and etc.
    5. Check it out.
    6. If you were networked I guess this all goes on the server, then you update each stations shadowed database.

Comment

Thomas,

I am working on a utility (I'm calling it A5 Updater) that handles all of that and more.

The issue with indexes is that you have a bunch of indexes. You may have deleted some, added some and possibly renamed some. And, if the user has added his own indexes besides the ones you supply, do you keep them or remove them?

After you've decided what to do, the indexes must be added or deleted as needed, and then be rebuilt via Xbasic.

So do I need to keep tract of new indexes I create along with new fields, tables, and sets. It gets to be quite a process then to update a client application.

Yes it does get to be quite a process! Hence the need for a utility.

Ira, did you say you are working on a utility that will handle the above? How do others do it?

Others do it by 1, getting everything right the 1st time! Since that does not always work, they try to minimize changes to the structure. The indexes and data dictionaries can often be overwritten with the new versions (But not always) if the old stuff is not needed. Changing data structures requires writing some code to perform the changes, and that get's real tricky when you change field types, combine or separate fields, move fields to other tables etc. Then you have to update fields as needed too. Field rules sometimes get in the way here.

As you can guess, not necessarily as straight forward as one would like it to be.

Regards,

Ira J. Perlow
      Computer Systems Design & Associates
      [email protected]
      Regards,

Ira J. Perlow
      Computer Systems Design

CSDA A5 Products
      New - Free CSDA DiagInfo - v1.39, 30 Apr 2013
      CSDA Barcode Functions

CSDA Code Utility
      CSDA Screen Capture

Comment

Assuming that your client does not own the full version of Alpha and is using a runtime application, I don't think there is an easy way until Ira completes his program. This is how I would make changes to a client's application that involved table structure changes or new indexes.

1. Zip up to a floppy the .dbf, .cdx, fpt files of any table involved in a structure change
        2. Unzip the files to my laptop loaded with the full licensed version of Alpha.
        3. Add the tables to any database and then change the structure and add any new indexes.
        4 Zip up the changed files back to the floppy
        5. Re-install the application containing the changes back to the client's computer
        6. Unzip the files from the floppy back to the client's computer.

(Ideally, the clients application would have a button to rebuild all indexes even though Alpha automatically rebuild set linking indexes and previous value field rules)

If there was no structure change and only changes to the application then simply, copy all .dbf, .cdx, .fpt file to temp folder, reinstall the new application then restore the copied files back again.

What I am never convinced of is the ability to upgrade a client if there are minor changes to layouts. Supposedly, if you have changed say a form or report based on a table you can simply overwrite the .ddd, ddm, ddx files. If the changes are based on a layout for a set then overwrite the set files. I have done this via email with some client's but sometimes come unstuck.

I would like to be assured by someone that once a runtime application is in place and running, are the .dbf, cdx, fpt files the only ones that change. Do all the other files remain static.??

Michael

Comment

Michael,

Unfortunately, the answer is no. If you add or drop a table via xbasic, the data dictionaty of the Database changes (*.a*). If you save a query, the table or set data dictionary changes.

And if you pack the database, all of the dictionaries are also compressed with a new time/date.

Regards,

Ira J. Perlow
          [email protected]

Michael Humby wrote:
          -------------------------------
          Assuming that your client does not own the full version of Alpha and is using a runtime application, I don't think there is an easy way until Ira completes his program. This is how I would make changes to a client's application that involved table structure changes or new indexes.

1. Zip up to a floppy the .dbf, .cdx, fpt files of any table involved in a structure change
          2. Unzip the files to my laptop loaded with the full licensed version of Alpha.
          3. Add the tables to any database and then change the structure and add any new indexes.
          4 Zip up the changed files back to the floppy
          5. Re-install the application containing the changes back to the client's computer
          6. Unzip the files from the floppy back to the client's computer.

(Ideally, the clients application would have a button to rebuild all indexes even though Alpha automatically rebuild set linking indexes and previous value field rules)

If there was no structure change and only changes to the application th....
          Regards,

Ira J. Perlow
          Computer Systems Design

CSDA A5 Products
          CSDA Barcode Functions

CSDA Code Utility
          CSDA Screen Capture

Comment

Michael,
            The answer to your question is yes. Virtually everyday I make changes to global scripts, functions, forms, reports and browses on my local shadow copy. Then I update to the master table the ddd,ddm,ddx,set,sem,sex files only. I use Second Copy which allows you to set filters and can be set to copy only new files based upon date/time stamp. One oddity: if you zap a table, the ddd file gets "updated" even though you didn't change anything.
            Peter
            Peter
            AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
            https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Thank you all for your comments.

Ira - when will your program be ready for distribution? Please add my name to your marketing list.

Tom

Comment

Of course, Ira is correct. I didn't think of that since my appplication is used by my own company. But otherwise FWIW I left out alb/alm/alx files.
                Peter
                AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
                https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Ira, will your update be released about the same time as V5?

Russ

Comment

Russ,

That is my ferverent wish! But as I do parts of it, I am opening cans of worms. Whether it's worms anyone really wants to eat or I can just throw them away, we will have to see (In other words, how much manual control over the some of the processes I will give to take care of problem cases).

Regards,

Ira J. Perlow
                    [email protected]
                    Regards,

Ira J. Perlow
                    Computer Systems Design

CSDA A5 Products
                    CSDA Barcode Functions

CSDA Code Utility
                    CSDA Screen Capture

Comment

Ira is sharp Thomas,

There is the other way done by a few. If your project is wide spread enough, you may want to invest time in making a program to do this for you. Make another database, ship it and send it to another folder. copy any dbf's that need to be changed to that folder, make changes with your program and send back to the running folder. then replace all necessary other files to support them.

We do a new update/patch every week. I can't imagine going to 2000 dealers every week.

I am rewriting that program in Alpha now. I may even buy Ira's program instead of taking the time to do it myself.

We do NOT let our clients into our databases to make forms, indexes and etc. Their job is to sell cars, ours is to help them keep records and figure payments.

Good Luck to you
                      Dave
                      Dave Mason
                      [email protected]
                      Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Working...
                      X