Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Simple question for the Network Experts amongst us

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Simple question for the Network Experts amongst us

Hi Guys,

I have a simple question:

When you install your app on a network, you install the app on the server, install runtimes on the clients and run the app from the client.

We can go a long way in customizing the app so it looks like an application independend from Alpha.
    But how do we do that with the runtime ?
    Can we create a runtime without CP etc. just buttons to perform tasks needed ?

How do you do it in practice, just use the runtime, or do you modify it in some way, or do you create your own "runtime apps".

Please point me in the right direction with this...

Greetings

Marcel

RE: Simple question for the Network Experts amongs

I design the app to start from a shortcut icon on the user's desktop. They do not start the runtime engine and then manually open the app. Instead the shortcut does this for them. Since my app does not permit them to get the control panel they need never be aware that the runtime could be run separately. As a practical matter however, I've found that it's helpful to explain the setup to them anyway.

-- tom

Comment

Hi Tom,

I guess you would install the applications yourself on Site then ?
      How else would you get the shortcuts on the clients desktops ?
      What if you do NOT install the applications yourself, but let us say, just send them on CD-Rom over the post ?

Greetings,

Marcel

Comment

This is really a job for an install program. For the simplest cases the built-in Alpha installer is adequate. For more complex scenarios you can try the Astrum Installer or Install Creator, both of which I've used.

With an installer you can package the job of installing all the necessary files, including the runtime, and create desktop shortcuts that - with the right command lies and icons present - can completely hide the fact that Alpha was the development tool.

Finian
        Finian

Comment

Hi Finian,

Yes, that's it.
          It may sound stupid, but I just did not make that connection. Of course I have used installers before, I just did not think of it as a way to have the shortcut installed in case of the runtime only.

Thanks.

Marcel

Comment

On a Novell network you can create a "Nal object" (Nal=Novel application launcher) which will pump an application on to a local client from the network.

This tool is not as flexible as an install program but if you need to install an identical (and identically configured) application to multiple local machines this is a one-click solution.

Bill
            Bill Hanigsberg

Comment

OK guys, now tell me how you get the workstation optimized if you don't know the paths the user will have and without allowing the user to get to the control panel. (In other words, it's a generic app and you have no idea who will be installing it or where they will be installing it.)

Cal Locklin
              www.aimsdc.net

Comment

Cal,

I think it's unrealistic and a bit dangerous to try to produce a 'shrink-wrapped' multi-user app that could be installed on 'any' LAN with zero input from the developer, apart from built in help and a self-installer.

Am I nuts?

Is anyone doing this successfully?

-- tom

Comment

I provide a site-specific install. Once the network admin sets up user groups you know that all members of a particular group will share drive mappings. Therefore you can create an install for all local files (shadow, shortcut, registry keys).

But since this convention would exist only on a site-by-site basis I see no way of producing a generic install for the multi-user case.

So I'm with Tom and he probably isn't nuts.

Of course, if you set up a recommended drive mapping scheme and can convince admin on a site to adopt it you won't have to make them a new install.

Bill
                  Bill Hanigsberg

Comment

All valid points here.
                    So the conclusion can be, if not premature, that you can not shrink-wrap a final solution for clients.

You should create an installer that "installs" the runtime and then offer the right documentation to run the client normally, and offer the right documentation to run it optimized.

However, couldn't you create an app with an xbasic script that prompts for the "master" database path name, and then have the master database loaded from there ?
                    There could also be a button that launches the optimization dialog (if possible) but that would probably have to end there, and leaving the rest to the user.

Regards,

Marcel

Comment

Not exactly but we're beta testing our upgrade program now. So far, so good ....

For the sake of sanity, I have two install programs, one for the server, one for the workstation.

I require that the server installation be into a specific folder name, but don't care on which drive the files are installed.

For backward compatibility purposes I require that the install folder be shared. I remove the share from the current location of the database. See mapping below.

I force the install of the runtime to the the C drive but have a written a separate version that doesn't care. The shortcut opens the master copy.

The workstation version prompts the user for the server name. This is required for mapping purposes. I don't know of an easy way to get this with an inexperienced user. So, on the button which sets up the app options, the first thing it does is pop up the machine name. The workstation instructions direct the user to the server to they can click that button.

Once they enter the server name, the code deletes the existing U drive mapping and recreates the mapping to the servername\install folder. It the creates the shadow folder and optimizes the files silently to that location. (Anyone who wants a working V5 function to do this - I got the core from Selwyn because the current V5 silent option does not work - can email me.)

The last step is the creation of two desktop icons. One runs the silent optimization. The second has the shadow startup.

This is designed for a typical in-office LAN. I haven't tested it extensively on a large network such as Bill works with. Having said that, all my testing WAS done on machines that are part of a large domain so who, knows. As long as the machines are shared and the "server" folder has shares for "everyone" it worked fine.

I ended up using the Wise Installer for this. Over the course of several months I worked my way from Install Creator to Astrum each time hitting what seemed to be insurmountable obstacles with each. Looking back, it seems to me that the only reason I gave up on Astrum was that there didn't seem to be a way that allowed the user to select ONLY the install drive and keep them out of folder level selections. If I had time I visit that. However, all the other stuff I describe above is done in the A5 apps that are launched by Wise.

Wise can be hard to fathom until you realise that its ability to create scripts pretty much allows you to do anything - or at least allowed me to do what I needed to do. Fortunately I didn't have to pay for the installer, we already had a license. The prices for the latest Wise and Installshield - which my co-workers use and hate - are jaw-dropping. In any event, it's the simple scripting that keeps me with Wise because it's so easy to make quick changes.

Finian
                      Finian

Comment

I'm not surprised to see Finian with the closest thing so far. (I'll probably be contacting him for the optimize info.)

Here's what I do. It doesn't require any special drives or folders but it does require that somebody at the install location know how to navigate a network with Windows Explorer - or equivalent. My assumption is that someone has to set up the folders to be shared and that person should be able to navigate folders.

First, the app is installed on the server using my server install file created with Astrum. This can be done to any folder or drive and can include a copy of A5 or not. BUT, the person who installs it must know how to share the folder and be smart enough to remember what folder it was installed in. (Yes, sometimes even the last part is asking a lot.)

Second, a special workstation app is installed on the workstation - any folder, any drive. This is actually a 'generic' app that can be used for any application installation just by changing the name of the .adb and .al* files. The application has only one table - Menus.dbf. This is the table I use for menu forms in all my applications. (If a different table is used in the app, it would still work but the Menus table would be left setting there "orphaned".)

The workstation install installs the runtime and the application. The app is installed to "A5Runtime_folder>\Shadow\"adb_name>\"adb_name>.adb. A shortcut icon is put on the desktop to start this application. Note that this is a "full" application at this point even though it is in the Shadow folder.

When the user starts the workstation application, a screen appears (see attachment) that provides instructions on navigating to the server and starting that application then clicking my Update to Server button to start the initial optimization. This optimization will overwrite the original app installed on the workstation and the next time the user clicks the desktop icon, the real app will start (shadowed, of course). (FYI: I got away from using the term Network Optimize because too many people thought it was doing something to make the whole network run better.)

You should note that the text is very generic and the name of the application is being taken from the .adb file. In the example, the name of the .adb file is Diet_Results.adb. By doing this, I don't even have to change the text to use these files for another application. All that is changed is the .adb name.

One last but very important thing. You may have noticed that the user does not go to the control panel to run the initial optimization. This is the only use I have anymore for the Opt_Net_v5 addin I created. (Selwyn has now added most of the other functionality right into A5.) The Opt_Net_v5 addin allows a user to run a full optimize without going to the control panel.

The Opt_Net_v5 routine basically uses the Create_Shadow() function to run the full optimize. The rest of the routine just decides whether to run a full optimize or a refresh optimize, calculates the shadow path, and runs my Copy_other_files() function that copies any .aex files or .al* files in the server folder to the shadow folder. It also copies any files listed in Alpha's ".Network_Optimization_Additional_Files" file. (In other words, it's not really a complicated script. I think anyone who has responded to this thread so far could create the same thing very easily.)

Cal Locklin
                        www.aimsdc.net

Comment

Sorry, I forgot the attachment.

Comment

Hi Call and others,

This is a very interesting thread !

However, it is possible to give the user on a client computer the possibilty to network optimize without giving him full access to the control panel, as I found out (I am sure I invented this wheel at least for the second time).

You can create a button on any form, and attach a piece of action scripting to it using the command "Select action from the control panel" and then choose "Application" and "Network Optimize".

This will enable the user to startup the Optimizing process without having access to the whole CP.
                            Thought I should share this with you, incase it was not obvious already...

The function needs to be implemented in the main application.

Regards,

Marcel

Comment

Marcel,

Where did you find that? I can find a "Refresh Shadow" as an Action Script but not something to create a new shadow database.

Also, I tried creating a new button and looking on the Pre-defined Buttons tab and couldn't find anything there.

Cal Locklin
                              www.aimsdc.net

Comment

Working...
                              X