Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Basic Technical Information

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Basic Technical Information

I'm new to Alpha DB program, but not to DB itself, so here's some info that I tend to require and what I am looking for. I have worked with MS Access of which there are a number of things that I don't really like given the various issues that I have ran into and what they cause. Most of my work has been on the programming side of things, and I tend to have some high criteria standards that must be met. After all, people wants to work with an efficient program that produces useable results, of which a lot of that deals with the design of the application itself, but along with that also deals with how well the DB program works too.

Before I make any sort of a judgement call, I would like to find out how Alpha 5 works with the various aspects. I have just started looking at this DB program today and so far, from the few things that I have looked at, it has raised some questions. At this point of time, I can not really say much about the program for 2 main reasons:

1 I am new to the program itself, thus there may be some hidden things that isn't as easy to locate.

2 Some of the issues may be a conversion type issue like how things are done in one program is done differently in another program.

Where can I find some technical information like the following:

A full list of the various Events on both, Record level and Field Level?

What is the order of the events being fired?

A couple of such issues that I'm had to deal with in MS Access and created work arounds for:

Primary Key ID field:

MS Access only allows for incremental of the primary key by 1. However, I would like to have the primary key to do the following:

Primary ID field increment by 10
    Primary ID field's one's digit is a check digit based on a particular algorythm which would be based on the rest of the primary's ID number.

Example:

What I had to do in MS Access:

Create a table that contains a list of all the tables in the DB Application.

Create a modulated algorythm to return to the form's code, that's calling for a new ID number of a particular table with it's new ID number. The form's code would provide this modulated algorythm with the name of the table, so as the algorythm can pull up the proper record and get the information it needs to return to the form's code the new ID number.

For each individual form that deals with creating new records, I had to put in code to request the information and put it in the form itself at the time of a new record creation, and then update the record with the information when all validation checks has been passed.

Data Validation Checks:

I had to create my own modulated data validation check code so as I can have the stringent data validation checks be done at the appropriate times and not frustrate the users. main users that were impacted by this lack of possibility before me creating my custom code were the mouse users. Had I not created this custom code, when a mouse user would click on a command button that didn't require the stringent data validation checks take place, it would cause the previous field's validation check take place, and if that data validation check failed, it would prevent the command button from ever getting the focus, thus this would lead to user frustration.

As I code, I keep 4 main general objectives in mind along with whatever the individual objective(s) is/are with the coding. The main 4 general objectives are:

Application Efficiency: This entails in how well does it use the resources, processing, memory, etc.

Reliability: This means the application works well and does not hang or create other issues. Data is as accurate as reasonably can be. Application is about as idiot proof as it reasonably can be.

Effective: The aplication does what it's meant to do within a reasonable amount of time.

User Friendliness: Application is primarily intuitive to the user. It works in a manner that can pick up what the user is doing and not frustrate the user. Of course, user training may be involved initially, but this should be met after the training.

I tend to be very critical of all 4 of these objectives to the point that most other programmers had basically said it in so many words that I'm too critical. I guess the main reasons why I'm like that is cause I have been on the data entry side myself, I have seen what others tries to do, and I also learned a lot of how computer systems works.

Given the data entry that I have done, I attempt to make the applications so as the user enters the least amount of information. That's cause after I had worked at the IRS as a data transcriber doing alpha-numeric data entry at a rate of 7000 keystrokes per hour with an error rate of 1 typo per 4100 keystroke average, and doing this for 60 to 70 hours a week with the first break of the 10 hour shift not being until 3 full hours after the shift has started, that caused CTS (Carpal Tunnel Syndrome) to start setting in. The 10 hour shift only had 2 - 15 minutes of paid break and 1 - 30 minutes of unpaid break. Given this experience, I attempt to weed out as much data entry as I can.

I have done a lot of programming type work in VBA of the different office applications over the last few years and had the code to a very large percentage of the work automatically that was otherwise being done manually before I took over the Production Reporting System at the company where I currently work at. What use to take 2 personnel to validate and enter data from paper logs, and process that data, I had taken that down to a simple click of the button with the operators inputting the data via a user form.

RE: Basic Technical Information

Ronald,

The best reference is the Alpha Five Help (Webhelp) link found in the Learning Center. Works well if you have a high speed connection to the internet. Otherwise, download the CHM file (which runs a bit behind the webhelp material), and use it locally.

It's possible using the Trace window to have Alpha Five record the events that fire for (or during) a particular sequence. You get to the Trace window from the View menu.

In Alpha Five you have little control over the sequencing of the events themselves. For example when you tab out of a form field the field's OnDepart event will fire. But it won't do anything unless you've attached a script to it. You could not suppress the event from firing in the first place, if you see what I mean. Another way to say this is that Alpha Five has exposed or surfaced collections of Windows 'events' that are available to us so that we can attach scripts to them in our designs.

Table and field level events are 'surfaced' for us in field rules. Object and form level events are 'surfaced' for us in the form designer. When you drop an object on a form you can right click it to examine the available 'events' ('actions') to which you can attach scripts. Right click on open space in the form itself to see form level events (actions) available to you.

This will all make more sense after you become more familiar with the program.

-- tom

Comment

RE: Basic Technical Information

I certainly understand what you mean by the way events works. That's also true in Access, you can't change the order or when the events are fired, but on the other hand, they don't do anything any different from the default behavior unless you as the developer/programmer put code in the various events, which is exactly what I had to do within Access.

As far as the online help file, I shall look at that further.

Comment

Working...
      X