Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Need help duplicating invoice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help duplicating invoice

I'm having a problem trying to duplicate an invoice. I found some code written by Dr. Wayne, but it doesn't work properly for me. I've tried changing it with my limited knowledge, but with no success.

The problem is that when the code copies the "Msquawk table" records, it copies them at the "Minv_hdr set" level instead of at the "Msquawk" table level.

What I'm trying to say is that if you look at the "Msquawk table" records that belong to that invoice number, there are 6 records. However, when viewing the "Msquawk table records at the "Minv_hdr" set level, there are 26 records.
    I've tried changing the code to many different variants with no success. The following code copies only 6 records, but at the set level. Because the set level has 26 records, the first 6 records are all the same.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can make it copy only the linked records at the "Msquawk" table level.

The goal is to copy the entire invoice, but for now, I'm just trying to copy the first child and I can't make it work.

'Duplicate the current invoice

dim hdr as p
    dim squawk as p
    dim old_hdr as b 'a blob variable to hold the old header record
    dim count_squawks as n 'array of blobs to hold squawk Records; start with a size of 1 record
    dim i as n

hdr = table.get("minv_hdr")
    swk = table.get("msquawk")

'The folowing line counts the proper amount of records
    count_squawks = count(msquawk->transno,GRP->minv_hdr)
    if count_squawks > 0 then
    dim squawkrecs[count_squawks] as b
    i = 0
    swk.fetch_first()
    while i 0
    parent.resynch()
    end
    Alpha 5 Version 11
    AA Build 2999, Build 4269, Current Build
    DBF's and MySql
    Desktop, Web on the Desktop and WEB

Ron Anusiewicz

RE: Need help duplicating invoice

Ron,

Your script mystifies me!

On its face it seems to read records from a table and then copy them (enter them) back to the same table. This gets complicated cause you're working with a set. It becomes more problematic when you use the count() function, which was designed for reports, not scripts or form layouts.

If you're trying to archive copies of records that were included in a particular invoice I suggest you rearrange things like this:

(pseudo code)
    Get pointer to the source header table
    Set index
    Fetch_find desired record

Open the target_hdr table
    begin new record there
    Get the source record
    Set the source record
    end the new record
    close target_hdr table
    close source header table

Get pointer to the source items table
    Run query to find all line items in the invoice
    Open the target_items table
    Use while...end while loop to copy
    them over to the target_items table
    (within the loop you'd begin new record,get the source record, set the source record, end the new record, fetch the next source items record)

close target_items table
    close source items table

I believe you could do the same thing with the set,
    in fewer steps, but doing it the long way may
    not be a bad idea either. If you're inclined to
    use the set, you'll need pointers to the primary
    table, and to the child table. Once established you
    can fetch through the child table records and will
    hit eof when there are no more linked to the current
    primary table.

-- tom

Comment

you have to qualify the fetch_next() in your set to indicate the level of the fetch. i don't know if the fetch outline level will work with a child record in a set, but you can try it.
      try swk.fetch_next(1)
      to see if it fixes your problem.

otherwise you will have to recode the example, opening new pointers to the tables in the set.

Comment

Hi Ron,
        I think there's another way to approach this that might be easier. Try using the following with a filter on the invoice number. You will have to run it twice, once for the parent and once for the child. If you are just trying to create a copy in the current table then you can use the copy function in action scripting to do it.

Russ

.COPY_RECORDS_TO()

Syntax

Character Result = .COPY_RECORDS_TO( Table_Name as C [, Filter as C ] )

Argument
        Description

Table_Name
        The name of the table to receive the copied records.

Filter
        Optional. Default = .T. (all records). If Filter is specified, only the records in the source table that satisfy the filter condition are copied. If Filter is not specified, the currently selected records in the source table are copied.

Description

The .COPY_RECORDS_TO() method copies records in the source table referenced by to the target table specified by Table_Name. Data is copied from each field in the source table to the corresponding field with the same name in the target table.

Result is a character string that indicates how many records were copied, and how many records could not be copied because they violated a field rule in the target table. For example, if Result is "230,3", it indicates that 230 records were copied and 3 records were not copied because of a field rule violation. The "violated" table in the Alpha Five program folder shows which records were not copied.

Table_Name can have more fields than the source table. However, at a minimum, it must have all of the fields in the source table, and they must be of the same type and size.

Example

This script copies current selection of records to "OLD_CUSTOMERS"

dim tbl as P

tbl_source = table.current()

query.filter = "state = 'ma'"

indx = tbl_source.query_create()

result = tbl_source.copy_records_to("OLD_CUSTOMERS")

ui_msg_box("Result", word(result, 1) + " Records copied. " + word(result, 2) + " Records not copied (see Violated table).")

This script copies customers from "MA" to "OLD_CUSTOMERS"

dim tbl as P

tbl_source = table.current()

result = tbl_source.copy_records_to("OLD_CUSTOMERS","state = 'ma'")

ui_msg_box("Result", word(result, 1) + " Records copied. " + word(result, 2) + " Records not copied (see Violated table).")

See Also

Table Functions and Methods, .COPY_RECORD_TO(), .COPY(), .RECORD_CLONE(), .MOVE_RECORDS_TO()

Supported By

Alpha Five Version 5 and Above

Comment

Thanks Russ,

I just copied your suggestion and I will study it.

What is happening is that the sometimes my client will generate a very large invoice. 300 or so items that need to be fixed with the child records containing a list of parts, shipping, misc., etc.

sometimes for insurance reasons or by customer request, they need to split the invoice in half or thirds. By duplicating the record, they then delete what they don't want.

Anyways, Dr. Wayne wrote the original code on his web site and it works very nicely. Unfortunately, I'm having trouble with the composite record. I'm probably in over my head, but I've been known to be very persistent.

Right now I'm studying pages 94 thru 100 in the Alpha Five Xbasic Reference Manual. I'm sure this can be done, I just haven't figured it out.

Ron
          Alpha 5 Version 11
          AA Build 2999, Build 4269, Current Build
          DBF's and MySql
          Desktop, Web on the Desktop and WEB

Ron Anusiewicz

Comment

I just copied it out of the docs. Part of it was lost in the translation so you might want to look at the chm on this but I think what you want is:
            .COPY_RECORDS_TO()

if its only 1 record (for instance for the header) you would use:
            .COPY_RECORD_TO()

I am kind of hoping that Selwyn will put this in action scripting in v6. I think it would simplify it and be useful.

Russ

Comment

It still cut off the beginning. anyway its

tbl.COPY_RECORDS_TO()

Russ

""

Comment

Russ, [filter as C] is the problem. Help please in how the filter is specified.

filter = "effectived " frmdate .OR. effectived = frmdate"
                result = tmarketwk.Copy_Records_To("zmarketwk","filter")

I have tried putting the filter expression directly in result as the filter parameter. It always returns a message that the field cannot be found. This is with or without the prefix tmarketwk, i.e., "tmarketwk.effectived " frmdate .OR. tmarketwk.effectived = frmdate"
                All records are always copied. "===
                Using a query, viz., qeffcvdate as the filter doesn't do it either.
                The example always shows the parameter, but its simple "state = ma" is really no help. If the example works, why doesn't my expression as the parameter?
                Thanks for any light that you might throw on this matter.
                Dick

Comment

Try the expression as:

filter = ""effectived" " frmdate .OR. "effectived" = frmdate"
                  result = tmarketwk.Copy_Records_To("zmarketwk","filter")

I am assuming that Frmdate is a field name??
                  I am not really sure of this, but maybe one of the xbasic whizzes (not me) will advise if this is correct. The other thing you can do is use the expression builder to build this.

Russ

Comment

Russ,
                    doesn't work at all with the double quotes around effectived; however even changing the double to single quotes doesn't work either.
                    The error message that appears relates to the copy_records_to, but it references a line far beyond what I have in my script. I'm guessing that it refers to the generated code.
                    Why there is no example for how the filter should be built is beyond me. Actually, the basic table ends up correct, i.e., marketwk only has the selected records but zmarketwk inherits 'em all.
                    One alternative of course is to show the expanded xbasic code, copy and paste. However, that results in quite a long script. I'd much prefer to get the copy of just the selected records.
                    Thanks for your input though. Testing all the variations, while frustrating, helps. One might just hit upon the correct syntax.
                    Dick

Comment

If this was in action scripting it would sure make it easier. I often do things first in action scripting then convert to xbasic and modify from there since I'm not very good doing xbasic from scratch. I gather that you've tried that approach.

Russ

Comment

Richard,

Try:

Code:
                        "effectived >= {" + dtoc(frmdate) + "}"
                        You may find the discussion on filter expressions
                        in connection with TABLECOUNT() useful.

-- tom

Comment

Working...