Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

ACT to A5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ACT to A5

I have downloaded the oobie doobie import function, read through the info on other import functions and have been unable to grasp just what the procedure for moving data from ACT to A5 might be. Do I have to export from ACT to some intermediary system .txt - .csv, convert to Excel somehow and then import that? So far the system slams the digital door on me no matter what I try. I am confident that there is some way to do this as ACT is a relatively commerical product. Am I missing some right click function somewhere? I have been told that this can be done but I've yet to locate the process for doing it.

Lanny

RE: ACT to A5

Lanny,

I am not familiar with ACT, so I can't give you step by step, but if ACT can export to a character seperated ascii file, A5 can import it. Your other choices are Exel and Lotus 1-2-3 and Symphony spreadsheets.

The best way to do this is import the data from the ascii file or spreadsheet to a new table. After the data is in the new A5 table ... the skys the limit.

Scott

Comment

Lanny:

I just visited the ACT home page and noted ACT imports DBASE [dbf] files. If you also have the option of saving your ACT database as a DBASE [dbf] file, you are essentially finished. Why? Because you can directly open DBASE files from Alpha Five

Once you save your ACT file as a dbf, that means you won't have to work your way through any Export/Import procedures. So if that option is available, it cannot get any easier.

Just a thought,
      Robert

Comment

Hi Lanny,

I have not used any of the latest versions of Act but the older ones were already Dbase files (I use Act 4). You therefore would not have to convert them. Make a copy of the Act file you want access to in an appropriate directory. In A5, just go to the table tab on the Control panel and right mouse click on an open area of the table box, select add table or set and then navigate to where you put the copy of this file. It will now be accessible via A5. You should be able to view it immediately in the default browse.

You will probably have to create a new table and move just the fields you want to it. As I remember, Act had some unique key records that would not be of much use to you.

Doug

Comment

I don't know much about ACT! either, but I found the found the following quotation on an ACT! expert's site:

"ACT! is the best selling contact management software package. It uses the CodeBase database format, created by Sequitter (sic) Codebase Symantec switched from the FoxPro DBF format used in ACT! 1.0 and 2.0 versions. The DBF format is widely known as a stable data format. The CodeBase format was chosen for its increased flexibility in terms of number of fields per record, and its reliability. "
          - Source: http://cicorp.com/act/lab/ACTMillion.htm

I'm pretty sure Alpha Five also uses this Codebase DBF.

I also found the following on ACT! Knowledge Base web site:

Document ID: 2001626143542
          Document Title: What Files make up an ACT! Database?
          http://itdomino.act.com/act.nsf/docid/2001626143542

Document ID: 20013594719
          Document Title: ACT! 2000 Database Files and their Definitions
          http://itdomino.act.com/act.nsf/docid/20013594719

Thus, it appears to me that ACT! still uses DBF format.

The first document indicates that there is only one file with a DBF extension (e.g. ACTdemo.dbf) :

"Your ACT! Database consists of more than one file, from 14 to 26 files depending on which version of ACT! you are using. When you are in ACT! and you choose File - Open you see only one file for each database, the .DBF file (it may not have any extension visible), but there are other files working in the background for each database. These files all share the same name as the database, with different 3 letter file extensions. If you are moving or renaming your database it is important to work with the entire database (all the files, rather than just the DBF.)"

From the second document:

".DBF (5,199 bytes) Contacts
          Contains contact information. Contact records are identified by a Unique ID. (Email addresses are not stored in this table.)"

Activities, Sales, Transactions, Histories, Groups, etc are stored in separate files all ending with the extension .*DB

This is a guess, but I suspect these .*DB files also use the DBF format.

You could MAKE A COPY of these files from you ACT! database and rename .*DB extensions to .DBF and see if they open as a DBF. If so, you're in luck.

You just need to add these DBF tables to your Alpha Five database.

If you need info from related files - you'll still need to sort out the relationships and linking fields but the relationship chart at this link should help:
          http://www.cicorporation.com/access/convert/ACT/index.htm

You might be able to find some more detail on what fields should be in which table from the following link:
          http://www.jltechnical.com/Exporter/Exporter%20for%20ACT!%20Getting%20Started.pdf

It may be more difficult to convert their BLoB file (extension .BLB) - according to some firms specializing in ACT! data conversion - this is the tricky part. This file is the equivalent of memo fields which are stored in FPTs in A5.

If all else fails - you could try out the "Exporter" utility described at:
          http://www.jltechnical.com/Exporter.htm

Let us know how it works out.

Bob

Comment

I had a client using act and we had to export data using a text string and import into alpha as such

You must know the data field names
            You must know the lenght of each field
            You must know the make up of each field character or number
            ..............You are ready to go.

(This was two years ago, but I was able to do this, it just took a lot of time and effort, but I did it.) Jack

Comment

Working...
            X