Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

display order in embedded browse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

display order in embedded browse

This problem was first mentioned last week - see msg #31053. Using build 1454-1042. The sort order specified in form properties for displaying child records in an embedded browse on a form does not work properly. Child records will only display in record number order. Setting record order in the set link definition results in no child records being displayed in the embedded browse.

In my 'musicians' database, I have a set to track which players are performing in a particular concert. I use this set to prepare the personnel rosters for our concert programs, and also to generate mailing and call lists and provide email links for those occasions when we have to contact players quickly for weather cancellations, rescheduling of rehearsal dates or venues, etc. (we had quite a few of these occasions in Connecticut this past season).

The parent table is 'concerts', linked one-to-many to 'concert_link', which has one-to-one links to 'players' and 'instruments'. 'Concert_link' should provide the sort order for the embedded browse on the form. Records in the embedded browse should display sorted by instrument section and seating position. This provides the same display order that is used for the personnel roster printed in our concert programs. To do this, I have used the expression 'instrument_code'+'part'+section_position', all character fields. The 'part' field is only used for violin I and violin II. For example, principal 2nd violin would be '01II1', 2nd clarinet is '302' and 4th horn is '604'. Setting this order expression in the form properties worked fine until I installed the latest build.

For each concert, I start with a core of 46 active players. I keep a master table with records for this core group, using the same table structure as the 'concert_link' table. I update the records in this master table with the current concert code and then append all records to the 'concert_link' table. Then I update the appended records for any wind or percussion player who will have a substitute for the concert and delete records for any string player who will not be playing. Finally, I add records for any extra players who will be joining us for the concert. This usually results in some extra string players' records being added at the end of the table.

To keep track of how many players in each section have connitted to play, I really need to see each section's players grouped together. I can do this in a report, of course, but it is inconvenient to have to print out and refer to a report each time I need to work with a concert's records.

Was this change in Alpha5 behavior planned, or was it an unexpected side effect of some other change? Is anyone at Alpha working to change it back to the way it was? Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can get the records to display in the sort order I need?

Thanks.
    Sherrill

RE: display order in embedded browse

Hi Sherrill:

You are not alone, I am having the same exact experience. I cannot set the browse order via Form Properties, which has no effect on the sort order.

I am very confident Alpha's outstanding team will correct this problem. However, if it doesn't happen in the very near future, or if you need immediate help, I can send you an relatively short and simple XBasic script that will help you accomplish your goal.

If you are not familiar with scripts, I can walk you through the steps of adding the script to what is called the OnActivate Event of a form. You won't have to do any programming, just, cut and paste the script into the right place.

However, as stated above, I'm hoping this frustrating problem will be correctly shortly. In fact, it was supposed to be fixed 2 or 3 builds ago, but apparently that fix didn't do the job.

Robert T

Comment

Robert,
      Could you post the script on the site?
      Thanks
      Troy

Comment

i found a bug in embedded browses.

if you set the default order, but not the default filter, it the order was not being honored. i have fixed this an will post the patch tomorrow.

in the mean time you could try settin the default filter to:

.t.

then the default order for the embedded browse should work.

sorry about this.

Comment

Hello Troy:

Selwyn announced he's going to fix that problem with a new patch tomorrow. However, since you asked, here is my little mini-script. Please note, I like table based scripts versus Form Based ones. You can do the same using Xbasic commands for forms, however, I like this method better.

This is a One-To-Many relationship, the child table is called tblTransactions. I am sorting it by a field called Date_Trans, you will of course replace that with a field from your child table.

Note:

I placed this script in the form's OnActivate Event

Dim T as P
          Dim Qry as P

T = table.current(2) 'tblTransactions

Query.order = "cdate(DATE_Trans)"
          Query.filter = ""
          Query.Options = "M"
          Qry = T.query_create()

parentform.resynch()
          END

Comment

Hi Selwyn,

I tried your suggestion on the form I had described above. That is, I set the filter for the records in the embedded browse to '.t.' After closing and reopening the form, it worked PERFECTLY! Thank you, thank you, thank you,!!! BTW, the order expression for the embedded browse actually uses fields from both the child and the grandchild tables.

Now I am REALLY scratching my head. I have another, similar form based on another set in the same database. The embedded browse in this form is supposed to display records for all the musicians affiliated with a given music ensemble, along with their status (active, extra, sub or former) within the ensemble. Set structure is essentially similar to the above mentioned set. That is: parent form = 'ensembles', linked one-to-many to 'ens_link', which is linked one-to-one to 'musicians'. Order expression for the embedded browse was 'alltrim(musicians->last_name)+", "+musicians->first_name', both fields from the grandchild table. This used to work fine. Following your suggestion, I set the filter for the records in the embedded browse to '.t.', saved, closed and reopened the form. This time, the change had no effect. Records in the embedded browse still appeared in record number order. I tried adding the field 'ensemble_code' from the child table at the beginning of the order expression, thinking perhaps I needed a child table field in the expression to make it work. Unfortunately, there was still no change.

Why does this work in one form and not the other?

Sherrill

Comment

To further confound matters, a third form, based on yet another set, similar set structure, embedded browse records sorted on last name and first name (both grandchild fields) now sorts records correctly after applying the change. I'm now two for three.

Curiouser and curiouser.

Sherrill

Comment

Sherrill,

Pardon me for jumping in, but if it were me, I'd check the expressions used to define the links in the set, looking for differences in how the sets in your three forms are defined. For example, if the set linkage includes more than one field from the 1:N child table it's been my expression that the ordering of the display is far less flexible in set based forms.

-- tom

Comment

i have put an interim patch on our ftp site

http://downloads.alphasoftware.com/patches/system_aex.zip

if you still have a form that does not display correctly, please send it to me and i will have a look at it.

Comment

Hello Sherrill

Again you are not alone. I am having the same problem you are on only the computers that were updated, all others are working fine. I spoke to their tech dept to report the bug. The gentlemen was rude to obnoxious. Everything that he told me made no sense and didn't work.

Dennis Snyder

Comment

Hi Tom,

All of the set links in the sets I mentioned are single fields.

I always try to use single fields to define set links. I use a lot of intermediate linking tables, as many of the data table relationships are many-to-many. I then use multi-field expressions to set filters and record orders in form and report properties. This gives me a lot of flexibility in viewing and reporting.

Thanks.
                      Sherrill

Comment

Hi Selwyn,

Patch downloaded and applied. I'm VERY happy to report that the problem has been fixed and all forms are now displaying properly.

Thanks.

Sherrill

Comment

i don't understand your comment about the user not being "alone".

he posted a message BEFORE you posted your message that he downloaded the fix mentioned earlier in this thread (
                          http://downloads.alphasoftware.com/patches/system_aex.zip ) and that everything was working and that he was very happy.

did you not download the patch?

Comment

Selwyn,

Which folder should this patch be extracted to?

Keith Hubert
                            London.
                            Regards
                            Keith Hubert
                            Alpha Guild Member
                            London.
                            KHDB Management Systems
                            Skype = keith.hubert

For your day-to-day Needs, you Need an Alpha Database!

Comment

your a5 program folder. it replaces the existing system.aex file.

Comment

Working...
                              X