Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

License violation on single station.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RE: License violation on single station.

John,

sounds like your accounting app works like Alpha Five. You can use it to open multiple forms, within the same databse, also. With new features added to Version 5 I think it's possible now to switch between databases, in a single Alpha session.

What Steve wanted to do is different. He wants to start two separate Alpha Sessions on the same machine, and use them to work with a single shared database.

As for Word, I think you'll find that it's not possible to open muliple instances and work with a single shared document. As I say, this is what Steve was interested in doing.

-- tom

Comment

Ken

From the current form,

File, Open, only forms attached to the current set are displayed.

Yes, I can go to the control panel & select a form, report etc, but would never allow a user to do this. Would want to be under control of a menu.

Additionally, If I select from the control panel, do what I want & close, returns to to CP not the last process I was running. Must start over again. NOT GOOD

See my response to Tom Cone

John

Comment

Tom

For clarification,

I have a main menu into which the user enters a system # to operate on. This number usually defines a building. Once entered the user is free to navigate throughout the various tables & sets, reports, forms etc. goverened by the system # always returning to to a sub or main menu. Some tables/sets are independant from the system # and this is no problem.

The problem occurs when a customer calls about another system # (Building). Ideally you want to start another thread NOT another instance of A5, with the same menu,(but in a different workspace) do your business, close & return to the first thread.

Difficult to explain because each thread is concurrent & transparent to the user. I can't say how are FoxPro accounting system handles it except that only one instance of FoxPro is visible to the user, whie many unrelated threads are open & working simultaneously.

Clear as Mud ?

John

Comment

FWIW

I can confirm that in WordPerfect, there can be mulitple documents open at one time. I can even open the same document multiple times. I can make changes in the other instances of the same document but only the first instance can save any changes.

WP will not let you open multiple sessions of WP itself.

kenn
          TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

OK, Now I'm begining to understand. You want the user to opem multiple instances of the same form/s. That is diferent than opening another instance of the app or at least what I thought when this thread began.

If, for example, from the main menu, you click the button to take you to a system # (building) and while working on that, a call comes in and you need to go to a different system#, you would have to have a button on that form to open another instance of the form. Maybe it won't work, I've not tried it. Is that what you need to do?

Just guessing.

kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

Kenn

Kinda sorta but without the button.

While leaving the current thread intact, open another independant instance of the menu (new thread NOT another copy of A5) do what you want and return to the first thread. The second thread may be closed or left open.

In our accounting app (FoxPro), each open process appears as a window and you may toggle between them. Functionally it is the same as multiple users accessing the same or different data but on one machine & with only one instance of A5 open. I should state that our accounting app is client server not peer to peer. Perhaps this makes the distinction ?

Comment

You cannot place a button on a form and open that form in a 2nd instance. You can place a button on a form to return to the menu and then open that form leaving the first form open but unseen. The problem, however, is 2 fold. Toggling between the two and making sure there were no open forms when retreating. Alpha does not show what forms are open like it does in design view, if you choose to view that particular bar.

I think what you want can be done but it will take some Xbasic cause it will need to create a bar or a popup window to contain buttons to return to or toggle to the form.

kenn

Comment

If you want to allow users access to multiple copies of forms you need to write code appropriatley. A5 will generate code that references fields on the form by the form name (4.5 did, anyway). In my app I have code that checks if the form is open and then activates that open session, rather than opens a new session. I did this as if code was crashing if I opened a second instance of the form. But it can work just fine, so long as you set it up with this in mind.

You then allow access to your main form from any screen. Several options here - create a menu bar with "Main Menu" on it, create buttons to check if the Menu form you use is open and activate it.

Then the user is able to access the main menu and start new sessions at will.

I don't have time, but this would be a good opportunity for someone to make a simple demonstration app. and it would be a useful addition to the Code Archive.

Comment

Working...
                  X