Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Network Optimize

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Network Optimize

I've asked this question before and people have tried to answer. I can't grasp what needs to be done.

I have a small network. All of the application files are located on the server. Each workstation has the runtime program.

I update the application files. When I open Alpha 5, I'm looking at the latest update. However, I'm looking at the files on the server and not the shadow database.

I then need to close the application, go into tools and select network optimize. This is a pain as I have to go to each work station and do this.

I'm sure that there is a more automatic process for doing this. Where do I find this information. It needs to be in simple english for the not too knowledgable to understand.

There's an option for setting a version number. What does it do? How do I use it? I've downloaded info and I've studied it. Unfortunately, I do not grasp how to use this information.

Help!!
    Alpha 5 Version 11
    AA Build 2999, Build 4269, Current Build
    DBF's and MySql
    Desktop, Web on the Desktop and WEB

Ron Anusiewicz

RE: Network Optimize

Have you tried a search? I think this was discussed before and someone suggested a third party program to do it form the server.

kenn
    TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

Ron,
      I think that all you have to do is change the version number and Alpha will check it and if the version on the server is different when the user starts the runtime it will update the shadow. I made a littel utility for this a while back I'll post it if I can find it, but you don't really need anything for this.

Russ

Comment

This allows you to track versions. I never quite finished it, plan to though. The idea was to have it run before exiting A5, but only on the full version so the developer would always be prompted for the new version number after a development session.

Russ

Comment

Ronald,

Let me take a stab at walking you through this.

1. You will need to visit each worksation to set up the shadow database initially. This will be the only time you need to go to each wotrkstation.

2. At the workstation, from control panel select Tools, Network Optimize. Click the Options tab. By default it says to prompt the user to accept the updates if there has been a version change. This means the user could elect to ignore the updates, but the prompt would reappear each time the database is opened. If you want the update to happen automatically, select the next radio button. Version number will be 0 in the box at the top, leave it that way. Click the Set button to save your changes if you selected something other than the default radio button. Now go back to the Basic tab and click "create shadow database". Create the shortcut or whatever means you want the user to open the shadow database. You are done with that workstation.

3. do the other workstations the same way.

4. When there is a change to the database that you want users to have, do this. From the full version of the database, at control panel go to Tools, Network Optimize and click the Options tab. Change the version number to 1, 2, or 3.12, etc. - whatever you want. Click the Set button to save your changes and close the network optimize window. Now when a user opens their shadow database, the action you selected when you created the shadow, manual prompt or automatic update, will occur without you having to go to the workstation.

Bill.

Comment

Ronnie, as a new guy I think I finally have this straight in my head. So I'll try to pass it on.

Shadowing......

To set up a database to be "shadowed":

1. When you design a database, give the developer a method to get to Control Panel.
            2. From Control Panel, Choose Tools, Network Optimize from menus.
            3. Choose Options tab.
            4. Give your program a Version number.
            5. Choose whether the user must update or not. (Frankly I'd make them update automatically)
            6. Choose whether these updates will occur on all changes to your database or just major ones in the last selection.

On each client machine: (One time setup)

1. Install runtime
            2. Run Runtime once
            3. Update runtime with any known updates (discussed later)
            2. Sign on to database
            3. From Control Panel, Choose Tools, Network Optimize from menus.
            4. From Basic tab, choose create Shadow database.
            5. Open Shadow database, and create a shortcut, from Tools, Create Shortcut.

From that point on, anytime you make a change to the database (that you are ready to distribute), you change the version number in the Tools, Network Optimize, Version number.

Your users will automatically get the update as they attempt to open their shadow.

Alpha Updates to a new version......

1. Anytime Alpha releases an update, they update the Developers Edition and the runtime in the same .exe.

2. Download (not open) the file, to a location all machine can access.

3. Each machine at your location, developer and client, must run that executable to update the client

4. Alpha has not developed an automated method to automatically install these updates. So you must either:

a. go to each machine to manuallly update
            b. Use a third party tool to ensure it occurs
            c. Send a link to your users and hope they do it.

Now as Reagan used to say, "Trust but verify". I think the optimal situation would be if we could capture the version number someone signs on with in a text or data file.

That way if they ignore our "do the update" message, we'll know.

Comment

Somewhere on this board Selwyn explained how to get the version number so it would be possible with XBasic to save that version number to a text file on the server.

Comment

This code will load the current settings and explains the use of each variable and shows how to resave new values.

dim network_optimize as p
                a5_load_settings("NetworkOptimize",network_optimize)

check_portion = network_optimize.check_portion ' Numeric value

' -- Explanation of use -----------------------------------------
                ' When checking Version Number, consider: (Has 2 possible values)
                ' 1 = Entire Version Number
                ' 2 = Integer Portion Only

OutOfDate_flag = network_optimize.outofdate_flag 'numeric value

' When a user opens a Shadow Database with a different Version Number: (3 possible values)
                ' 1 = Do nothing - allow the user to open the Shadow database
                ' 2 = Warn the User - but do not require them to refresh the Shadow Database
                ' 3 = Automatically Refresh the Shadow Database

version_number = network_optimize.version_number

' Saved version number - Alphanumeric

' To resave the settings in current database
                network_optimize.check_portion = 1 '(or 2)
                network_optimize.outofdate_flag = 1 '(or 2, or 3)
                netowrk_optimize.version_number = "your version number"

Once you have the value into any variable, it is easy to write it to a file or read it back form a file and resave.

Jerry

Comment

Don't know enough about code to tell. Is this checking the .exe's and not just the shadow?

Comment

If you put this in a script, the values will read from the data dictionary of the database that holds the script. If you are running it from the shadow, it will give the settings of the shadow databse. If you are running the code form the master or server version, you will get the values from there.

Incidentally, most of what I posted is just comments to explain what each dot variable does. If you only want the version, use this

dim network_optimize as p

version_number = network_optimize.version_number

If the database you are checking has never had any network settings defined, this code may give an error. If that is the case, add these lines before the a5_load_settings() line to set some initial values

network_optimize.version_number = ""
                    network_optimize.check_portion = ""
                    network_optimize.outofdate_flag = ""

Jerry

Comment

Opps,

Forgot the important part. The network optimize settings are saved in the data dictionary for the database (the alb, alm, alx files)

Jerry

Comment

Thanks to everyone who replied. This board is one of the hidden values of Alpha Software.

I do believe I understand what to do now. I'll be trying it out this week.

Thank you Russ for your version tracker. It's really great to see what other people are doing with Alpha 5. You've given me some new idea's.

Ron
                        Alpha 5 Version 11
                        AA Build 2999, Build 4269, Current Build
                        DBF's and MySql
                        Desktop, Web on the Desktop and WEB

Ron Anusiewicz

Comment

Working...
                        X