Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Excel Fuction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Excel Fuction

How can we use this Excel fuction in Alpha Five

=MOD(10-(SUM(CEILING(MOD(MID(A1,{1,2,3,4},1)*{2,1,2,1},9.5),1))),10)

Re: Excel Fuction

David,

You will have much better results if you do not use NON-Alpha functions....such as Sum and the vb equivalent of the Mid function (Alpha's has different arguments). I think the Mod function actually does have the same arguments so should be able to leave that the same.
    Mike

Comment

Mike, you're right. Can't use Excel functions in Alpha. But maybe he's asking (albeit somewhat obscurely) for help translating the excel function into xbasic ? My Excel skills are paltry so can't do it from here without an English translation of what the existing expression does. A good beginning point would be for David to tell us the data type and cell value (or text) found in cell A1, and then explain, step by step what the expression does. It could then be translated into xbasic.
      Last edited by Tom Cone Jr; 08-22-2008, 06:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by lkatz1 View Post
        How can we use this Excel fuction in Alpha Five

=MOD(10-(SUM(CEILING(MOD(MID(A1,{1,2,3,4},1)*{2,1,2,1},9.5),1))),10)
        David,

I agree with the points made by Mike & Tom. While I am not fully familiar with using arrays within expressions for Excel, it is true that Alpha is not design to do so. This leaves the first step of considering how you would arrange the array values within Alpha (e.g. as field values within a table).

But in an attempt to translate your expression, I have hardcoded two arrays into some code for the meantime. Using a function for the expression, I simply passed the pointers of the arrays into the function (as well as the value of Cell A1). Here is that code:
        Code:
        dim array1[4] as N
        dim array2[4] as N
        Lst1=<<%aa%
        %aa%
        Lst2=<<%bb%
        %bb%
        array1.initialize(Lst1)
        array2.initialize(Lst2)

dim Cell_A1 as C
        Cell_A1 = "2936"

Output = Excel_Formula(Cell_A1, array1, array2)

ui_msg_box("Formula Result",alltrim(str(Output)))

END

FUNCTION Excel_Formula as N(cA1 as C, nArr1 as P, nArr2 as P)
        	dim nResult as N
        	nResult = 0
        	for j = 1 to 4
        		nResult = nResult + max(mod(val(substr(cA1,nArr1[j],1))*nArr2[j],9.5),1)
        	next j
        	nResult = mod(10-nResult,10)

Excel_Formula = nResult
        END FUNCTION
        I don't know if this will help but it's my 2 cents.

Steve

Comment

So please explain all steps what we should do how to setup fields etc
          thank you

Comment

David,

To know how best to set it up, I would need to know what values are likely to change upon evaluating the function on different calls. While you have arrays of length 4 within the expression (e.g. "{2,1,2,1}"), might you need the expression for longer arrays on other calls? Likewise, will these two arrays always have the same values? Until I have a better feel on how you might use this expression, I would not know the optimal way to set it up.

Steve

Comment

this is what we need a check digit which is figured out from 4 digits instead of 9 digit sample enclosed
              file attached

Comment

David,

Seeing your Word attachment, I located a similar Excel worksheet from which it was copied. One thing didn't look right, however. If the "sum of digits" was a multple of 10, the Check Digit which showed up was '10'. I would think that in such a case you would want a Check Digit of '0' instead. Thus, in the function below, I have the "original" return value consistent with the workbook I found but a "revised" return value based on what I think you want.
                Code:
                FUNCTION Check_Digit as N(cA1 as C)
                	DIM j AS N
                	DIM nDgt AS N
                	DIM nOddEven AS N
                	DIM nProd AS N
                	DIM nSum AS N
                	nSum = 0
                	if .NOT. isnumber(cA1)
                		ui_msg_box("Illegal Function Call","Check_Digit() can only accept numerical parameters.")
                		Check_Digit = -1
                		exit function
                	end if

for j = 1 to 4
                		nOddEven = mod(j,2) + 1 	'= 2,1,2,1
                		nDgt = val(substr(cA1,j,1))
                		nProd = nDgt*nOddEven
                		nSum = nSum + int(nProd/10) + mod(nProd,10)
                	next j

'Check_Digit = 10 - mod(nSum,10)		'<-- original
                	Check_Digit = mod(10 - mod(nSum,10),10)	'<-- revised
                END FUNCTION
                I'm sure that you must know the basic approach to creating a UDF. You can find it in the help files. I hope that this helps.

Steve

Comment

Re: Excel Function

Than You for replying
                  We want 4 digits the checkdigit is the 5 th digit
                  try this link if it matches the checkdigit the we are ok but we have no idea what udf etc please give basic idea startup to configure copy etc

http://ribbs.usps.gov/files/acs/KEYLINE.EXE

Comment

David,

I altered the function slightly to return a character rather than a number. To create your UDF, go to the Codes tab of your Control Panel. Then do the following:
                    1) Press "New".
                    2) Select "Function"
                    3) Enter: "Check_Digit" for Function Name
                    "Character" for Return Type
                    1 parameter with Name = "cA1" and Type = "Character"
                    4) Press OK.
                    5) To be safe, press Save right away.
                    6) Between the FUNCTION and END FUNCTION lines, paste the body of the function below.
                    7) Press Save again.

You will then be set. Hear is the slightly revised code.
                    Code:
                    FUNCTION Check_Digit as C(cA1 as C)
                    	DIM j AS N
                    	DIM nDgt AS N
                    	DIM nOddEven AS N
                    	DIM nProd AS N
                    	DIM nCD as N
                    	DIM nSum AS N
                    	nSum = 0
                    	if .NOT. isnumber(cA1)
                    		ui_msg_box("Illegal Function Call","Check_Digit() can only accept numerical parameters.")
                    		Check_Digit = -1
                    		exit function
                    	end if

for j = 1 to 4
                    		nOddEven = mod(j,2) + 1 	'= 2,1,2,1
                    		nDgt = val(substr(cA1,j,1))
                    		nProd = nDgt*nOddEven
                    		nSum = nSum + int(nProd/10) + mod(nProd,10)
                    	next j

'nCD = 10 - mod(nSum,10)		   '<-- original
                    	nCD = mod(10 - mod(nSum,10),10)	   '<-- revised
                    	Check_Digit = str(nCd,1)
                    END FUNCTION
                    Steve

Comment

Thank You
                      Now how to we set the dbf fields we have a field with the 4 digits we need a new field forthe check digitso were does the function link

Comment

It all depends on how you plan to use this check digit in the end. One approach would be to add one field to your DBF. Call it "CheckDgt" (character, 1 byte long, 0 decimals). After this is added, make it a calculated field.

To do that, go to the field rules screen for that table and field. Under the Field Types tab, choose "Calculated". Then in the expression box, put the expression: Check_Digit(Your_Field) where "Your_Field" is the name of the 4-digit field which you already have set up.

Note that the above approach will NOT update the new field for records already in the table. It is not until you save a record that the new field will be calculated. However, if you right-click the table in the Control Panel, you can go to "Utilities" and "Recalculate Field Rules" to force a recalculation.

Alternatively, you could make your new field 5 bytes and give it the expression Your_Field+Check_Digit(Your_Field). That is why I say that it depends on your end use as to what the best way would be to put this together.

Steve

Comment

David,

Just for explanations sake:

a udf is a user defined function. While Alpha has hundreds of functions you can call to do the normal things you might need, they also gave us a way to make our own. That is what Steve is giving you. Look at the code tab for where you would create a udf.

Your table needs to be set up with one field for the number you are going to input and any other fields you need to input. You can also set it up with however many fields for any calculated values.

I might suggest working a bit with Alpha Sports to see how the program flows. It will surely give you some ideas of what you need and how you want your app to flow.

Spreadsheets and databases are totally different animals as shown by MS having excel and access, not to mention foxpro and vb.

At least some in here have had enough spreadsheets to be able to help you with the transition.

Dave Mason
                          [email protected]
                          Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Working...
                          X